follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, MisterSheep

Old 11-04-2018, 04:15 PM   #19965
wulfstan

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
The wheels were rough and required full-respray so the caps were done the same color. Color is General Motors GunMetal BGM0536. The GM color is slightly lighter than the OEM color but the Matte Clear darkened them a bit. The TRD logos are Porsche Guards Red touchup. The whole thing was clear coated with a couple coats of Matte Wheel Clear.
Yeah the original paint on these wheels or perhaps the clearcoat were not shot correctly. All 4 of mine bubbled up in the center area. I had the gloss black that were sold from a RS2.0. I'll run mine with winter tires and then look at repair and respray next season, but glad to see the work you have done. I want to do them in a glossier black, piano black, or a glossy gun metal... time will tell, but thank for all the info. You did it all yourself? Any pics of the process? Might make a good DIY for others who have no paint experience, IMHO.

Thanks again,

wulfstan
wulfstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:12 PM   #19966
ELLSSUU

Drives: FR-S, 951, Venza, Accord, MDX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfstan View Post
Yeah the original paint on these wheels or perhaps the clearcoat were not shot correctly. All 4 of mine bubbled up in the center area. I had the gloss black that were sold from a RS2.0. I'll run mine with winter tires and then look at repair and respray next season, but glad to see the work you have done. I want to do them in a glossier black, piano black, or a glossy gun metal... time will tell, but thank for all the info. You did it all yourself? Any pics of the process? Might make a good DIY for others who have no paint experience, IMHO.

Thanks again,

wulfstan
What size tires do you run on yours? My plan is to change his 215's over as I just put new Michelins on his car. Wondering if in the future we should go to 235's?

Thanks, yes did them myself. I wanted to go Piano Black but son preferred Matte Gun Metal. I did take a few pics during the process but don't have them handy.

The lips on 2 were slightly curbed and the clearcoat was peeling in a few spots on all. I scuffed, sanded, filled in a few small scrapes, sanded again, sprayed with a self-etching primer, scuffed, sprayed 3 coats of color, and then clear coated. The lip behind the spoke was tricky and one of the wheels got a run so it was sanded down and redone. Barrels were also painted but I didn't bother clearcoating them. The recessed TRD logo on the caps were done with a very fine tip artist paint brush. I basically loaded it with paint and let that paint float into the recesses. I did have to clean up my un-steady hand with a soft touch of a razor blade and then I cleared them.
ELLSSUU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ELLSSUU For This Useful Post:
wulfstan (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 09:00 PM   #19967
wulfstan

Drives: 2014 Whiteout Monogram 6MT FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELLSSUU View Post
What size tires do you run on yours? My plan is to change his 215's over as I just put new Michelins on his car. Wondering if in the future we should go to 235's?

Thanks, yes did them myself. I wanted to go Piano Black but son preferred Matte Gun Metal. I did take a few pics during the process but don't have them handy.

The lips on 2 were slightly curbed and the clearcoat was peeling in a few spots on all. I scuffed, sanded, filled in a few small scrapes, sanded again, sprayed with a self-etching primer, scuffed, sprayed 3 coats of color, and then clear coated. The lip behind the spoke was tricky and one of the wheels got a run so it was sanded down and redone. Barrels were also painted but I didn't bother clearcoating them. The recessed TRD logo on the caps were done with a very fine tip artist paint brush. I basically loaded it with paint and let that paint float into the recesses. I did have to clean up my un-steady hand with a soft touch of a razor blade and then I cleared them.
My buddy was planning on goin 235/45 R 17. I was just going to run stock or was thinking 225/40 R 17... I'll have to do more research as I'm sure somewhere on the forums is a post. These TRD wheels are 7.5" wide, so I'm pretty sure will support up to 235 without too much of a problem.

Hope that helps... Your comments has definitely helped me in deciding what to do with my wheels. Thanks.

wulfstan
wulfstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #19968
2018Asphalt86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86 Base
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Ran an auto cross event for the first time ever yesterday. Ran SM class against a WRX with suspension and sticky tires. I ran with the stock Michelin’s, stock suspension and brakes. Only 4 seconds slower, I was very impressed with the capabilities of this 86. This car is very quick but I had to slow down because I was outrunning my tires. Better luck next year.
Old 11-05-2018, 12:30 PM   #19969
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018Asphalt86 View Post
Ran an auto cross event for the first time ever yesterday. Ran SM class against a WRX with suspension and sticky tires. I ran with the stock Michelin’s, stock suspension and brakes. Only 4 seconds slower, I was very impressed with the capabilities of this 86. This car is very quick but I had to slow down because I was outrunning my tires. Better luck next year.

Why were you in SM? It would be hard to keep up in that class without better tires and suspension work. One thing that sucks about autox is the smallest things can bump you into ridiculous classes. Were there any other Twins running that day in DS? If so, how did your time compare to theirs?
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:37 PM   #19970
2018Asphalt86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Why were you in SM? It would be hard to keep up in that class without better tires and suspension work. One thing that sucks about autox is the smallest things can bump you into ridiculous classes. Were there any other Twins running that day in DS? If so, how did your time compare to theirs?
I was placed in SM because of E85. There were 6 other twins in various classes who all ran between 5-10 seconds faster than me. One of the fastest twins there only had tires and wheel spacers. Very impressive.
Old 11-05-2018, 02:54 PM   #19971
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018Asphalt86 View Post
I was placed in SM because of E85. There were 6 other twins in various classes who all ran between 5-10 seconds faster than me. One of the fastest twins there only had tires and wheel spacers. Very impressive.
E85 I can understand getting you bumped because it's a significant bump in power. That alone isn't enough to be competitive in SM though. How long was the course (in seconds) because 5 - 10 secs is a lot for an autox. Get an experienced driver to ride along with you. You would be amazed how much time can be had with some basic pointers. I was a little intimidated by the fast guys and didn't want to ask for help. I am lucky to have a gazillion time national champ (Mike King) in my region who is incredibly friendly and will force his way into your car. Hahaha.
Old 11-05-2018, 03:07 PM   #19972
2018Asphalt86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
E85 I can understand getting you bumped because it's a significant bump in power. That alone isn't enough to be competitive in SM though. How long was the course (in seconds) because 5 - 10 secs is a lot for an autox. Get an experienced driver to ride along with you. You would be amazed how much time can be had with some basic pointers. I was a little intimidated by the fast guys and didn't want to ask for help. I am lucky to have a gazillion time national champ (Mike King) in my region who is incredibly friendly and will force his way into your car. Hahaha.
My best time was 70.533 and the best time of the day was 60.769 by an FRS in STX
Old 11-05-2018, 03:38 PM   #19973
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Within ten seconds of the BToD is pretty good on stock tires (at least in my region). You'd likely halve that gap on Bridgestones or their ilk alone.

The trick with AutoX is shortest distance is nearly always faster than the typical race line might suggest.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 05:01 PM   #19974
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Within ten seconds of the BToD is pretty good on stock tires (at least in my region). You'd likely halve that gap on Bridgestones or their ilk alone.

The trick with AutoX is shortest distance is nearly always faster than the typical race line might suggest.
I agree with that but in my region FTD typically wouldn't come out of STX.
Old 11-05-2018, 05:25 PM   #19975
Dadillac

Drives: 2018 Ford Mustang EB Premium 6M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Nothing important. Just installed the 3D Maxpider mats

Don
Attached Images

Dadillac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:50 PM   #19976
S. Snake

Drives: 13' Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
black.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
ermax (11-05-2018), wulfstan (11-06-2018)
Old 11-05-2018, 07:59 PM   #19977
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,247 Times in 8,614 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Hit 20k miles.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 08:27 PM   #19978
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadillac View Post
Nothing important. Just installed the 3D Maxpider mats

Don
That 3D badge thing pops off there pretty easily and the hole left closes up and is almost invisible after.
Unless you like looking at that every time you get in the car.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
:popcorn:, :popcorn: funny tags, nsfc, rice rice baby