follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #127
DustinS

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Thanked 1,414 Times in 804 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
really good job on this dude. i think a lot of people are really going to appreciate your work.

for the whole hvac box... yeah you'll have to remove the whole damn bar. and you'll have to loosen the coils from the engine side. and it also involves having to dump and refill the a/c coolant as well... which is why i think single temp is the way to go. rudy told me that it should be possible to do the swap without having to touch the coils, but i found that to be impossible.

one of my quirks of the system are that when i hit the off button, all the lights are actually still on and i'm able to still change the vents to front, lower, etc. i'm unsure if all of that is supposed to work normally like that since i always forget to ask someone with a brz to show me how it works normally. my second quirk is that my driver side vent still blows air when i tell it to only push air to the bottom. i'm not sure if it's a vent issue when i was messing inside the hvac box, or if that's normal? hopefully we get more people to chime in if they've done this and can answer those questions.
Thanks!

That is a whole lot of work. I still kind of want to attempt it. Summer Project maybe.

I haven't messed with it when off at all. I will go see if mine operates like that. Mine doesn't leak air like that. So I don't think it is normal.

edit: Okay, I am still doing some research on where to get the right connectors. Once I am positive it looks good, I will post the Excel file.
@phanguy I checked, and I can change the direction of air when the panel is off. I wonder if it allows fresh air in a bit and that lets you control where it goes?

Last edited by DustinS; 02-29-2016 at 04:49 PM.
DustinS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #128
phanguy

Drives: Scion FR-S Ultramarine
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
Thanks!

That is a whole lot of work. I still kind of want to attempt it. Summer Project maybe.

I haven't messed with it when off at all. I will go see if mine operates like that. Mine doesn't leak air like that. So I don't think it is normal.

edit: Okay, I am still doing some research on where to get the right connectors. Once I am positive it looks good, I will post the Excel file.
@phanguy I checked, and I can change the direction of air when the panel is off. I wonder if it allows fresh air in a bit and that lets you control where it goes?
what panel are you referring to? do i need to take my whole dash apart?? haha
phanguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 09:52 AM   #129
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by phanguy View Post
what panel are you referring to? do i need to take my whole dash apart?? haha
The Climate Control Panel. So still need to find someone who has the ACC from the factory to comment about it.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #130
phanguy

Garage
Quote:
The Climate Control Panel. So still need to find someone who has the ACC from the factory to comment about it.
so when you say you can change the air flow do you mean there is something on the hvac panel itself that allows you to do that? or there is something further inside that you move with your hand that adjusts air flow?
Old 03-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #131
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Never saw the need for this in tiny cars. Big SUVs trucks, yea but tiny lil sports cars that you can turn your head and kiss the other window, nahh.

Dual climate control = Vent luvers
RichardsFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:59 PM   #132
DustinS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardsFRS View Post
Never saw the need for this in tiny cars. Big SUVs trucks, yea but tiny lil sports cars that you can turn your head and kiss the other window, nahh.

Dual climate control = Vent luvers
Honestly, Not even using the dual climate (because it's not hooked up) I love the Auto climate feature. Set the temp and the car works out to rest.

Helps with the fact my girlfriend doesn't really know fine adjustment for temp control, if she gets too hot (heat on @ 20F out) she turns the A/C on, then gets cold and turns it back to full heat. Viscous Cycle ensues. This helps eliminate that need.

Doesn't hurt the Panel looks a lot nicer as well.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #133
Chaetagnath

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Honestly, Not even using the dual climate (because it's not hooked up) I love the Auto climate feature. Set the temp and the car works out to rest.

Helps with the fact my girlfriend doesn't really know fine adjustment for temp control, if she gets too hot (heat on @ 20F out) she turns the A/C on, then gets cold and turns it back to full heat. Viscous Cycle ensues. This helps eliminate that need.

Doesn't hurt the Panel looks a lot nicer as well.
Awesome job dude, you proved that it can be done from start to finish on your own. I originally intended on doing the true dual as well, but decided against it when I reached the point of removing the bar. I still plan on doing it eventually when I have time though, For me, the auto feature is the feature I really enjoy though.
Chaetagnath is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chaetagnath For This Useful Post:
DustinS (03-01-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #134
lextrueno

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
When You Bought the Top Servo in the picture. Did it come with the metal bracket to attach it?

Edit: Panel Bought, One Servo Bought, Blower Transistor bought. Found a great deal on the Servo with the metal bracket, only it's missing the bracket. Looks like it is required, so I need to wait and see if I can find one before I buy new. It's an amazing 36F outside right now. Not what I want to have when going to look for the plugs, but so be it.

Edit 2: Super poor quality, but I had to try to fit everything, and it's the picture I posted on instagram posted to facebook. Part Number, with links and Prices. Also list of what other car to get from (hoping to expand this). So terrible quality hype (I thought about trying to market the Harness once I got it done, but I think it is more work than it's worth, so once I know it works, I'll post the file):
I am looking to start making this harness for "production" I know a lot of people that have been interested in buying a premade harness and if I can buy the connectors for cheap-ish then I think I can keep the harness costs way low. I noticed you posted a picture but the quality is a little low. Could you give me your instagram or send me a higher res file of the pic? I would be forever grateful. Trying to avoid junkyards for finding connectors since it adds more time to turn around. :C Any help guise?
Old 03-20-2016, 08:49 PM   #135
MudithJ

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lextrueno View Post
I am looking to start making this harness for "production" I know a lot of people that have been interested in buying a premade harness and if I can buy the connectors for cheap-ish then I think I can keep the harness costs way low. I noticed you posted a picture but the quality is a little low. Could you give me your instagram or send me a higher res file of the pic? I would be forever grateful. Trying to avoid junkyards for finding connectors since it adds more time to turn around. :C Any help guise?
I've bought the actual panel and now just waiting on someone genius enough like you to produce this harness. Would be so grateful if this started to happen.
MudithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #136
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudithJ View Post
I've bought the actual panel and now just waiting on someone genius enough like you to produce this harness. Would be so grateful if this started to happen.
I think it will. I already have tried to see if there has been any interest in me making a harness for plug and play style. I can do it if I can find all the proper components. Which I think I have been able to do...... Just need to make one for myself, record an install video, then market the harness. I want to have a clean professional grade product. The price is estimated to be below 300$ for just the harness so far. My goal is to keep it around 200$ for the harness since the rest of the components are $$$. I may make a kit that sources all the parts but have to do more research for that to happen.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:14 PM   #137
MudithJ

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I think it will. I already have tried to see if there has been any interest in me making a harness for plug and play style. I can do it if I can find all the proper components. Which I think I have been able to do...... Just need to make one for myself, record an install video, then market the harness. I want to have a clean professional grade product. The price is estimated to be below 300$ for just the harness so far. My goal is to keep it around 200$ for the harness since the rest of the components are $$$. I may make a kit that sources all the parts but have to do more research for that to happen.
If that's the case that would be so so awesome. I know that there are heaps of people out there that would love this. especially the kit idea with all the servos etc.

Sitting tight with my fingers crossed!
MudithJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:18 PM   #138
lextrueno

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudithJ View Post
If that's the case that would be so so awesome. I know that there are heaps of people out there that would love this. especially the kit idea with all the servos etc.

Sitting tight with my fingers crossed!

No its already in the works. At the very least I am doing it for my car. I have price points marked down. The second I can nail down these parts and KNOW for a fact they are correct I will start on a prototype.

The whole kit would have every part you would need if you had to start from scratch. I am trying to keep the costs as low as possible. Reading this thread showed that the predecessor made them for 450 a harness. I don't expect mine to be that much. That price would be a little

The only thing left is for a supplier to come back with some info about their products. Once I have all the parts I will record a video going in detail about how to install everything. And use that to market the product.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:54 PM   #139
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
No its already in the works. At the very least I am doing it for my car. I have price points marked down. The second I can nail down these parts and KNOW for a fact they are correct I will start on a prototype.

The whole kit would have every part you would need if you had to start from scratch. I am trying to keep the costs as low as possible. Reading this thread showed that the predecessor made them for 450 a harness. I don't expect mine to be that much. That price would be a little

The only thing left is for a supplier to come back with some info about their products. Once I have all the parts I will record a video going in detail about how to install everything. And use that to market the product.
SUBBED!

It would be very interesting if the GT86 and BR-Z auto climate controls are the same.
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:46 PM   #140
phanguy

Garage
@DustinS or anyone else that has done this: Do yours ever say "Full Auto" when you hit the Auto button? I've noticed that even though it doesn't say it that it is in fact Full Auto. If you change which vents the flow goes then it's actually Auto, but it turns off the "Auto" indicator. I vaguely remember Rudy saying that he couldn't figure the issue out even though it's really just a cosmetic problem.

Also I'm curious about if the displays still stay "lit" for anyone even if you turn off the HVAC? For me if I turn it off only the middle indicator for air flow stays on. Not sure if that's normal for a BRZ, but I'm beginning to think this and the other issue I mentioned are related.