follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #435
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,481 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
Kind of shocked the RS did so poorly. I knew it struggled in BS this year but wow. Also expected the Civic Type-R to do better. When we see more development for that car will it get stronger results?
CTR will definitely get faster, no sway bar and 245 tires compared to the Camaro on 275 with the same width wheels. Scroggs didn't get a good launch out of it only 4 runs in it and it was only a few tenths off?

Dampers are a feel and confidence improver, they don't seem to offer massive improvement unless the current dampers are lacking, maybe it'll help the Camaro settle and be more accessible, he certainly showed that it is hard to extract Max performance out of it, he usually put up times a good 1/2s quicker ot more than Stroud locally but it wasn't a magic go fast button for Jonathan

I was also surprised at how 'mid-pack' the RS was, but if none of them were launching it that might be skewing the results. But if you watch one in course it's totally still a fwd economy car.

The test was never going to show A>B>C
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:47 AM   #436
G_Ride

Drives: Some kind of Subaru
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Read it yesterday.

It's interesting results but there's a lot of variables still to this. The FR-S is the only one on two way MCS and then the RS is on Konis. Civic and Camaro still on OEM shocks. I know Mark and Des have said they don't feel the Camaro would get much out of shock and sway bar upgrades but it would certainly gain something, right?

Another thing is familiarity with the cars. Annie drives an STX FR-S and has driven them in STX basically since they came out in 2013, Mark used to drive a twin in STX too (???), and I don't know Justin Moore so not sure what he's driven before.

Kind of shocked the RS did so poorly. I knew it struggled in BS this year but wow. Also expected the Civic Type-R to do better. When we see more development for that car will it get stronger results?
I know Mark has driven twins a few times, but I thought mostly DS prepped twins. Justin Moore is another good driver. He usually drives a well prepped FP 2005 STI. He has driven a 2013 WRX in Street for one season. The RS he's taken out occasionally
G_Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #437
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Ride View Post
I know Mark has driven twins a few times, but I thought mostly DS prepped twins. Justin Moore is another good driver. He usually drives a well prepped FP 2005 STI. He has driven a 2013 WRX in Street for one season. The RS he's taken out occasionally
He said he used to own a twin years back and it wasn't in DS then so maybe CS then?

What happened to the BS cars that were going to be there? I originally heard they would have an S2K and Vette?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #438
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pallotta drove a CTR at NCAC this weekend and he was not impressed. Said that even with everything turned off completely (VSA), the system will interfere then you try to get the car to rotate. He said it shuts down hard.

He described it as frustrating. He jumped into his ND and went .8 tenths quicker (.2 on PAX) on his only run.

FWIW
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #439
tony_r

Drives: '15 STX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
What happened to the BS cars that were going to be there? I originally heard they would have an S2K and Vette?
Time availability. I was going to bring the S2k but they wanted to limit the amount of cars because it was a lot of ground to cover. I wanted to throw an ND in the mix, too, because I think S2k to CS would have been a good test.

Dan Bullis was going to bring his Vette, but in the end it was just a bit too far for him to come. We don't have any BS C5's here locally.

Last edited by tony_r; 10-09-2017 at 07:07 PM.
tony_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:00 PM   #440
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would say the course was high speed sweeper and high speed transition heavy that's why the FRS performed better than normal and the Focus RS appeared much worse. Also the fact that the Focus RS wasn't launched hard which is usually worth 0.5sec. Course design always has an effect on results. Sorry but IMHO, the test course used was not a good indicator of the true performance potential of the cars. The Focus RS is not a DS car.

Also factor the length of the course, which was short. National courses are usually twice as long, which means multiply the time difference by a factor of 2. The courses at Nationals and our local courses generally favor power/acceleration more. This years courses were turn around and flat out acceleration. The west course gave you the illusion of slaloms but if you lined up correctly they were flat out. Kinda changes the picture, IMHO.
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #441
tony_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
I would say the course was high speed sweeper and high speed transition heavy that's why the FRS performed better than normal and the Focus RS appeared much worse. Also the fact that the Focus RS wasn't launched hard which is usually worth 0.5sec. Course design always has an effect on results. Sorry but IMHO, the test course used was not a good indicator of the true performance potential of the cars. The Focus RS is not a DS car.

Also factor the length of the course, which was short. National courses are usually twice as long, which means multiply the time difference by a factor of 2. The courses at Nationals and our local courses generally favor power/acceleration more. This years courses were turn around and flat out acceleration. The west course gave you the illusion of slaloms but if you lined up correctly they were flat out. Kinda changes the picture, IMHO.
This might rustle some jimmies, but I think the twin in DS trim is no better than a top flight ES car. On a few occasions I have swapped over to a DS twin at locals and have either gone slower or marginally faster. So, if one were to consider what else is present in DS (The Camaro, and to a lesser degree the WRX), the Focus RS would fit quite nicely into the mix.
The Following User Says Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-10-2017)
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #442
fykcha

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 Series
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
Pallotta drove a CTR at NCAC this weekend and he was not impressed. Said that even with everything turned off completely (VSA), the system will interfere then you try to get the car to rotate. He said it shuts down hard.

He described it as frustrating. He jumped into his ND and went .8 tenths quicker (.2 on PAX) on his only run.

FWIW
I think the long and short of it was that they didn't actually fully switch off the VSA on the car, there's "off" and a fully off setting.
fykcha is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fykcha For This Useful Post:
DaWorstPlaya (10-11-2017), strat61caster (10-11-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 12:29 AM   #443
race2win

Drives: 2012 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post

Before this test I would have absolutely agreed that the Twins were outgunned in DS. After driving Jonathan's car, I'm not so sure. Even though the course was short, put a transitional element less than 100' from the start and add one cone to each slalom...and I guarantee the FRS would be the fastest car in this test.

I now firmly believe that if I had a Twin on the East course I could have gone faster than I did in the Camaro.
Edge Motorworks 2013 Subaru BRZ STX #30/130

Special thanks to Edge & Perrin Performance
https://www.facebook.com/EdgeMotorworks
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to race2win For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-15-2017)
Old 10-14-2017, 02:34 AM   #444
tony_r

Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post
Before this test I would have absolutely agreed that the Twins were outgunned in DS. After driving Jonathan's car, I'm not so sure. Even though the course was short, put a transitional element less than 100' from the start and add one cone to each slalom...and I guarantee the FRS would be the fastest car in this test.

I now firmly believe that if I had a Twin on the East course I could have gone faster than I did in the Camaro.
Therein lies the problem. You really need to build a specific course for the car to give it a shot. Packwood was a really good example of this, tight offsets to relatively open sweepers, to another transitional section into the finish. Basically any runway-style course, like the current condition of El Toro, is where the Twin will really shine.

Speaking specifically about the East course, it was balanced enough that I don't think the Twin would really have been that much faster. There were 4 sweeper/turn around areas of the course that it got killed by either the Camaro or WRX. The opening slalom and exit of the slalom after the showcase were practically the only places where it clearly had a large advantage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tony_r For This Useful Post:
DaWorstPlaya (10-14-2017), strat61caster (10-15-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 05:31 PM   #445
race2win

Drives: 2012 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_r View Post
Therein lies the problem. You really need to build a specific course for the car to give it a shot. Packwood was a really good example of this, tight offsets to relatively open sweepers, to another transitional section into the finish. Basically any runway-style course, like the current condition of El Toro, is where the Twin will really shine.

Speaking specifically about the East course, it was balanced enough that I don't think the Twin would really have been that much faster. There were 4 sweeper/turn around areas of the course that it got killed by either the Camaro or WRX. The opening slalom and exit of the slalom after the showcase were practically the only places where it clearly had a large advantage.
Yes, the Packwood Pro courses were perfect for a Twin, no doubt. After our test I read criticism saying it was too much of a "power" course, yet I got damn close to my Camaro times and I'm convinced there was more in it.

The reason I mention the East Course is because in the tight first slalom, the 2nd slalom and the pinched left-hander following, and the finish section a Twin would eat up. According to the data from our test the FR-S and Camaro were within hundredths on sweepers, so the only place the Camaro has the edge is pulling off the showcase and the uphill section after the 2nd slalom, the rest is a wash IMO.

Point is, the talk of the Twins having no chance in DS trim just isn't true, yes some course dependency exists, but you don't need a Packwood Pro course to win IMO.
Edge Motorworks 2013 Subaru BRZ STX #30/130

Special thanks to Edge & Perrin Performance
https://www.facebook.com/EdgeMotorworks
race2win is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to race2win For This Useful Post:
cueball89 (10-15-2017), strat61caster (10-15-2017)
Old 10-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #446
chucky12012

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by race2win View Post

Just a note, since I had the fastest twin on the east course, I compared my data against CS champ Dan, Tyler and Andy, and it was a rare occasion where I squeezed just about everything out of the car (polar opposite to west where I can tell you I left at least 1.5s out there). There was not another second left out there for my car on the east.

Also a bit of a statement to say that we could have raw timed CS in a DS trim twin.

Last edited by chucky12012; 10-16-2017 at 08:01 PM.
chucky12012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #447
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Sidenote to discussion: Does anyone know if there are more people picking up Camaros to run DS next year?

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:07 PM   #448
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Quote:
Sidenote to discussion: Does anyone know if there are more people picking up Camaros to run DS next year?
nope... but I'm hoping SEB answers my Letter favorably so I can run my '17 BRZ in DS
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote