follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 01-27-2020, 01:20 PM   #57
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
I've already done the diff once around 30K with Mobil1 GL5...I think 80W-90 weight or thereabouts... I didn't do it again this time...I'll let to go a little longer. I just wasn't happy with the trans fill and wanted to try something else. I think the Redline is slightly better than the Toyota LV75W GL3, and the Amsoil a bit worse; certainly no better. Funny how everyone has different preferences....'feel' is such an interpretive thing.
I used the Lucas fluid in the tranny and it's been great. It doesn't crunch into 2nd like the stock fluid did but it's a little grabby until it warms up, after that - smooooth. It's not so good in the rear diff though, there's a hesitation almost like a slip, that's disconcerting. I couldn't find Redline locally so I grabbed a couple of quarts from the dealer this morning and it's going back to the stock fill tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2020, 01:21 PM   #58
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I used the Lucas fluid in the tranny and it's been great. It doesn't crunch into 2nd like the stock fluid did but it's a little grabby until it warms up, after that - smooooth. It's not so good in the rear diff though, there's a hesitation almost like a slip, that's disconcerting. I couldn't find Redline locally so I grabbed a couple of quarts from the dealer this morning and it's going back to the stock fill tomorrow.
I bought my Redline on Amazon. Which Lucas lube did you use in the transmission?

EDIT: Nevermind...I looked up Lucas Synthetic SAE 75W-90 Gear Oil, and it's rated as GL5. No bueno.

Last edited by venturaII; 01-27-2020 at 04:50 PM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (01-28-2020), Spuds (01-28-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 04:03 PM   #59
Alpha86

Drives: 2013 Firestorm Red FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Have you ever run Motul fluid in the trans? I'm about to switch to that since this Redline 75W-90 isn't much better than stock, especially in the cold. Wondering if I should try Amsoil next year after Motul.
Also have the Perrin shifter bushing, along with the Whiteline trans mount insert and MTEC shifter springs.
Alpha86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 04:44 PM   #60
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,431 Times in 6,147 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha86 View Post
Have you ever run Motul fluid in the trans? I'm about to switch to that since this Redline 75W-90 isn't much better than stock, especially in the cold. Wondering if I should try Amsoil next year after Motul.
Also have the Perrin shifter bushing, along with the Whiteline trans mount insert and MTEC shifter springs.
If you are asking me, I haven't run Motul or Redline so I can't give you a comparison unfortunately. If you don't wind up liking the Motul, I don't see why you shouldn't give Amsoil a try based on my experience with it. If the Motul knocks your socks off, I would stick with that for a while.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:57 PM   #61
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Just the first 2 miles back on the stock rear diff fluid was MUCH better.
Old 01-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #62
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,478 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha86 View Post
Been 30k miles each on OE and Motul, then ~15k on Redline, then ~10k on Royal Purple (dropped the trans to fix the TOB and had to use whatever was on the shelf on Sunday to get to work on Monday), surprisingly royal purple in the tranny felt pretty great for about 5k miles, then felt the same as the others and I couldn't really tell the difference. Interested in the Amsoil but I'll probably just go with what's cheap when I look again in a few weeks.

Stock, Motul, Redline in the diff all feels the same to me, the gears do all the work and the oil just keeps stuff lubed.

Last edited by strat61caster; 01-28-2020 at 05:19 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Spuds (01-28-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 11:55 AM   #63
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I love AMSOil and it's all I run for engine oil. But after significant testing, I can say that I've had better results with Motul in the diff and Redline in the trans (ATF) for predominantly track usage in Texas (where higher temperatures occur and I don't deal with low-temp conditions). YMMV, but just wanted to throw that into the thread. I have switched away from AMSOil except for my engine oil.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
COBlue (02-18-2020)
Old 04-05-2023, 09:57 AM   #64
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I just ordered amsoil for my transmission to replace motul gear 300 after reading it might cause damage to the brass synchros. I am still using gear 300LS in the diff though but might swap it out for amosil severe gear
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:31 AM   #65
Bonburner
6/22/12-2/6/24

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S M/T Argento
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoracer86 View Post
I just ordered amsoil for my transmission to replace motul gear 300 after reading it might cause damage to the brass synchros. I am still using gear 300LS in the diff though but might swap it out for amosil severe gear
I've used Motul's Motylgear for about 40k miles, then motul gear 300 for another 40k miles. With a few track days here and there with the gear 300.

Synchros still seem to behave the same as day one.

Not sure where u read gear 300 is hard on brass.

https://azupim01.motul.com/media/mot...0_20221014.pdf
Suitable for any type of seal and yellow material used in gearboxes design.
Anti-corrosion, Anti-foam, Anti-emulsion.
Old 04-06-2023, 03:45 AM   #66
autoracer86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonburner View Post
I've used Motul's Motylgear for about 40k miles, then motul gear 300 for another 40k miles. With a few track days here and there with the gear 300.

Synchros still seem to behave the same as day one.

Not sure where u read gear 300 is hard on brass.

https://azupim01.motul.com/media/mot...0_20221014.pdf
Suitable for any type of seal and yellow material used in gearboxes design.
Anti-corrosion, Anti-foam, Anti-emulsion.
I was reading it on this forum. Gear 300 seems super popular so it was surprising to hear their gl4/gl5 formula might be problematic for our cars. I’m going to switch it out just for piece of mind. I don’t have any personal data myself to back anything up.
autoracer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 07:03 AM   #67
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Update: While replacing my TOB, I replaced all fluids to AMSOIL (Coming from MOTUL) and boy does the car feel so much, so much better. No more notchy gears. Smooth shifting all the way through. The car feels more engaging in every possible way.

I highly recommend to use the EZ-Packs. I couldn't find it for the Differential oil, but for the transmission it was super helpful.
Old 05-02-2023, 07:57 AM   #68
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
I highly recommend to use the EZ-Packs. I couldn't find it for the Differential oil, but for the transmission it was super helpful.
Do you have a transfer/siphon pump? I grabbed a 4 oz one when I did my trans and diff swap for $12 and it made the process really easy. Actually looking at the EZ-Packs makes me think it would be annoying to use as the clearance around the trans is pretty tight (unless I'm missing exactly how it's supposed to work).

Thanks for the recommendation on the Amsoil fluids, though. I used Redline and wasn't impressed with the shifting quality (overall I preferred the OEM fill).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:22 AM   #69
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,144 Times in 1,989 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Do you have a transfer/siphon pump? I grabbed a 4 oz one when I did my trans and diff swap for $12 and it made the process really easy. Actually looking at the EZ-Packs makes me think it would be annoying to use as the clearance around the trans is pretty tight (unless I'm missing exactly how it's supposed to work).

Thanks for the recommendation on the Amsoil fluids, though. I used Redline and wasn't impressed with the shifting quality (overall I preferred the OEM fill).

I got a Penzoil transfer pump that I got from Amazon and it worked wonderfully for the differential.

With the transmission, I inserted the EZ Pack tip and then held it with one hand while I rotated the bottom bag up towards the engine bay, there was plenty of room since as it empties it becomes easier to maneuver.

Though the pump is handy, it can become a little messy with residual oil left on the hoses or inside the pump.
Ohio Enthusiast (05-02-2023)
Old 05-02-2023, 09:29 AM   #70
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
I got a Penzoil transfer pump
I got the same one

Quote:
With the transmission, I inserted the EZ Pack tip and then held it with one hand while I rotated the bottom bag up towards the engine bay, there was plenty of room since as it empties it becomes easier to maneuver.
Gotcha, that makes sense. Thanks for the details!

Quote:
Though the pump is handy, it can become a little messy with residual oil left on the hoses or inside the pump.
Agreed. I tried to be careful and drain the excess fluid in the pump and hoses back to the bottle and any minor leftovers into the drain pan, but still made a bit of a mess.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (05-02-2023)