follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 01-05-2014, 04:49 PM   #1
Simon99

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Cool BRZ or FR-S vs. THEM ALL

So .... Countless threads of BRZ vs this and that, eh ? I have a real struggle. I've lurked this forum for quite some time now, and I finally found a job that will allow me to afford my dream car. Yes yes, and not be bottlenecked by payments (I already maxed out my saving accounts and saved quite a bit for a future house, thanks dads out there for the advices).

So I came to you guys, enthousiasts with experience with differents cars over the years to ask one question. Why should I pick the BRZ (screw you FR-S, with your sexier design but your no equipement at all bullshit) over any of the followings beauties:

Cons in red, pluses in green
  • 2015 Mustang V6
    Power, RWD, V6 Engine notes, Warranty, Neat functions (Track Pack), Revised handling (it can turn now :P) Gas consumption, Ford ?, Not JDM
  • 2015 Mustang I4 Ecoboost
    Power, RWD, Boost, Warranty, Revised handling, Gas consumption Ford ? Not JDM, WTF a 4 cylinder Mustang

• 2013 Mazdaspeed
    Power, Four doors for more whores, Hatchback, Warranty, Good equipment for the price FWD, Rust, Torque Steer, Common, DIDN'T APPRECIATE CURRENT MAZDA 3 ENGINE FAILLING.

• 2009 370z
    Refined and beautiful look, JDM as f***, Power, RWD, Aftermarket support, handling Weight, no warranty, gas consumption, 2 seater, expensive

• 2006 350z Nismo
    JDM as f***, Power, RWD, Handling, extra money for mods, uncommon No warranty, engine failures, bad looking interior, two seater

• 2013 Ford Focus ST
    Warranty, looks good, handles the curves like a RWD, Power, Boost FWD, Ford ?, average fuel economy, long term reliability of newly developped Ecoboost

• 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
    Warranty, Power, gas consumption, Boost FWD, 5 speed, got to get used to the looks, long term reliability of newly developped Ecoboost

• 2009 Subaru STI
    AWD, Power, So many gadgets (differential control, sport mode, etc), aftermarket support, recognition amongst enthousiasts, crowd support Ringland issues, hatchback, gas consumption, engine failures, engine failures, engine failures

• 2013 Subaru WRX
    Affordable, Warranty, AWD, looks good, subaru reliability, revised engine with higher compression Why didn't you get an STI, 5 speed, engine failures

• 2006 S2000
    Bulletproof engine, amazing aftermarket support, convertible, RWD, good looks, power in a small thing No warranty, Honda hate, two seater, beaten by the previous owner, barebone interior

• 2010 Mitsubishi Evolution X
    AWD, Rare, Power, Superior handling to anything in its category, Twin Clutch, Styling, Boost, Engine Reliability, Warranty Mitsubishi f'ed up warranty terms, overall interior finish, Mitsubishi component reliability, 5 speed manual or 6 speed DCT

• 2008 BMW 335i
    BMW (Bitches dig it), RWD, Power, Twin-Turbo, luxurious, interior (beautiful color choices), Reliability BMW parts cost, Gas consumption, heavy, not a sports car but a premium car with a sport feel

• 2011 BMW 135i M
    BMW, RWD, Amazingly good DCT, Interior looks, overall reliability, Power BMW parts cost, Engine problems, Looks (have to get used to it)

• 200x M3 E46
    BMW, Power, Exhaust notes, Looks, Reliability, M-Mode, Overall feeling Vanos issues, PRICY PARTS and MAINTENANCE, Gas consumption,

So, I know I'm only 20 years old, I shouldn't get that blah blah blah I heard it all before, but I'm a car enthousiast that loves engine and will take care of it (I plan to keep the car for at least 5 years), I'm in no rush for a family and I know I'll be able to afford it. It should be know that I've driven all but (of course the new Mustang) the 335i, the M3 and the Fiesta (although I spent alot of time as a passenger in the M3). I'd appreciate any comments and trust me, I've done my research and it's because I love the BRZ so much that I want to get a final opinion between all the cars I'm considering/used to consider before pulling the trigger. Thanks !

-Simon
Simon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
Herndon

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well from the list what you have the only one i don't like is the v6 Mustang, but that's just me i'd go with v8 if i were going to go that route. Also with those options i would ask if it's going to a daily driver or a side car. Besides that for me it would really just come down to which one i like the most at the current time and believe i would continue to enjoy.
Herndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Also, keep in mind, the new V6 mustang will NOT be available with the track pack. That package, with the bigger brakes, bigger wheels, etc. will apparently only be available on the boosted 4 and the 5.0 V8. That's probably starting to creep out of your price range. At least when they initially come out, I doubt they'll be offering the nearly 7k in incentives they're offering on the 14's. So you're looking at probably mid 30s for a V8 with track pack.

More importantly, why don't you check out insurance rates on these? That could turn out to be a BIG factor. You're going to have NASTY insurance rates on say a big engined V8 and probably even some of the others on your list (notably the 370z, M3 and maybe the STI). Depends on your coverage, you may go with minimum coverage, but if you go with something like 100/300/100 some of those cars could be 300+ a month easy at 20 (though I don't know what rates are like in Canada).

Also keep in mind drivability in Canada. You guys have some rough winters. Some of the cars on your list can get away from you. I had a Z. Despite what some members here will say about it being a boat and "not that fast" its substantially faster than a BRZ off the line, and it's pretty tail happy without some serious mods in imperfect weather. Wet roads it can start to get away from you. Snow, it can definitely get away from you as it accelerates pretty quickly for a car of its size. You might want to get one of the more practical ones on your list (AWD or FWD) or the BRZ.

Last edited by acg2010; 01-05-2014 at 08:30 PM.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:01 PM   #4
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
Why should I pick the BRZ (screw you FR-S, with your sexier design but your no equipement at all bullshit) over any of the followings beauties

HAHAHAHA!!! THIS is funny! I like you already

To answer your question….if you can afford the maintenance, go with the E46. You can get a clean one for just a touch less than your BRZ and it give you both the handling of the BRZ, and luxury. It's also sexy as hell. I miss mine (had an 04 silver grey M). Don't miss the maintenance costs, though
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:37 PM   #5
RavioliG
Poor Adult Male

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
I was a 20 year old in the same predicament....

Then I found my BRZ.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:55 PM   #6
oldpueblo

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 #853
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The 10 series FR-S does have upgraded equipment, as does the alleged Monogram series supposedly launching shortly. It has feature parity now with the BRZ in terms of "big things" (push to start, etc), with both trading a few lesser unique things back and forth. See link for more details:

http://sdrv.ms/16hKTVx

As for the other cars honestly there is just too much possibility out there. Instead write down the things you enjoy most about driving. What are YOUR top three things, what bugs you when you get in other peoples cars. Will this be your daily driver and you'll want specific cabin comforts, do you want to save on gas but still have fun, etc.
oldpueblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Simon99

Hey guys thanks for these responses, I really am impressed about the no-biaisis here compared to others forums ! Regarding our canadian winters and the 40 centimeters of snow we got today (learn the metric system) I already have a swagbaru outback that I use during thr winter, so any of these car wouldnt be taken out in the winter. I didnt consider a V8 stang for the fuel economy and the fact that I dont think you need a 5.0 for power. The things I'd f*** for a 10 series though, you wouldnt believe but I can't seem to find one in my area... what are the monogram you're talking about ?

And lastly, most important stuff is
1. POWAHHH
2. Control in the turns and ability to do a quick powerslide
3. Looking good while doing that (gotta think of the bitches )
Old 01-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #8
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon99 View Post
Hey guys thanks for these responses, I really am impressed about the no-biaisis here compared to others forums ! Regarding our canadian winters and the 40 centimeters of snow we got today (learn the metric system) I already have a swagbaru outback that I use during thr winter, so any of these car wouldnt be taken out in the winter. I didnt consider a V8 stang for the fuel economy and the fact that I dont think you need a 5.0 for power. The things I'd f*** for a 10 series though, you wouldnt believe but I can't seem to find one in my area... what are the monogram you're talking about ?

And lastly, most important stuff is
1. POWAHHH
2. Control in the turns and ability to do a quick powerslide
3. Looking good while doing that (gotta think of the bitches )
Sounds like you want a used Cayman S to me.
ChiefG (01-08-2014)
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 PM   #9
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
Get one of the twins, cash. Mod it. You won't be displeased.

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
acg2010

Drives: 4 wheels/engine/seats
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
Sounds like you want a used Cayman S to me.
20 year old insuring a cayman…if Canada is at all like the US, and I know in some areas of Canada insurance is even higher than some of the high US areas even, you're looking at an insane amount per month that would need to be set aside for insurance. I'm in my later 20s and for me in an areas that isn't that high it's stupid how much a cayman is over say a BRZ (also talk about serious cost to mod and repair a cayman). That's one of the beauties of the BRZ/FRS - cheap insurance on a sporty car.

Power is all relative, if you've come from a yaris this car is gonna feel powerful. Relative to an M3 it's gonna feel impotent.

I'd say avoid the older BMWs for sure and the 335i. The maintenance and upkeep on them is going to mean a lot of expenditure, and the 335i has HPFP issues from what I recall when I looked at them (not like the twins with chirping, but fuel pumps that were regularly going bad), so if its out of warranty good luck.

I think an above poster is right. What do you want. Do you want a car that is going to be modded and individualized? If so, as you mention in your first post the M3 is pretty much out. Parts are a ton, maintenance is a ton, (tires, brakes, etc.) So think about whether you're ok driving around a bone stock car that's going to be like every middle-aged man that bought one, etc.

The key here is think about what you want and how much cash you have to outlay over the life of the car. That'll probably eliminate several of your choices. Insurance, gas, tires, mods etc. Your first post suggests you've done a little bit of thinking on this but say:

e.g., Mustang - NEEDS huge tires. Some people like to put big ass tires on the twins (which for an underpowered cars only going to slow it down). With the mustang you're looking at 255s and 265s as the regular size. Those tires start to cost a ton more than a 225 if you're looking at high end tires.

Just my .02 but I'd say the 2015 mustang, the BRZ, the focus ST (with a Ford Racing Tune if offered in Canada - warranty plus TONS of extra hp), wrx or sti are probably your best choices.
acg2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 02:13 AM   #11
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Power does not equal the BRZ or FR-S, unless you add forced induction and a lot more stuff and are okay voiding the warranty.

I would add the 2015 WRX to your list and research the standard WRX vs the STi. I would also test drive the new Mustang and Focus ST.

You really need to test drive a bunch of these cars, as they are all very different from each other. Also, add the Genesis Coupe to your list in RSPEC trim.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM   #12
Hanni_0176

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acg2010 View Post
20 year old insuring a cayman…if Canada is at all like the US, and I know in some areas of Canada insurance is even higher than some of the high US areas even, you're looking at an insane amount per month that would need to be set aside for insurance. I'm in my later 20s and for me in an areas that isn't that high it's stupid how much a cayman is over say a BRZ (also talk about serious cost to mod and repair a cayman). That's one of the beauties of the BRZ/FRS - cheap insurance on a sporty car.

Power is all relative, if you've come from a yaris this car is gonna feel powerful. Relative to an M3 it's gonna feel impotent.

I'd say avoid the older BMWs for sure and the 335i. The maintenance and upkeep on them is going to mean a lot of expenditure, and the 335i has HPFP issues from what I recall when I looked at them (not like the twins with chirping, but fuel pumps that were regularly going bad), so if its out of warranty good luck.

I think an above poster is right. What do you want. Do you want a car that is going to be modded and individualized? If so, as you mention in your first post the M3 is pretty much out. Parts are a ton, maintenance is a ton, (tires, brakes, etc.) So think about whether you're ok driving around a bone stock car that's going to be like every middle-aged man that bought one, etc.

The key here is think about what you want and how much cash you have to outlay over the life of the car. That'll probably eliminate several of your choices. Insurance, gas, tires, mods etc. Your first post suggests you've done a little bit of thinking on this but say:

e.g., Mustang - NEEDS huge tires. Some people like to put big ass tires on the twins (which for an underpowered cars only going to slow it down). With the mustang you're looking at 255s and 265s as the regular size. Those tires start to cost a ton more than a 225 if you're looking at high end tires.

Just my .02 but I'd say the 2015 mustang, the BRZ, the focus ST (with a Ford Racing Tune if offered in Canada - warranty plus TONS of extra hp), wrx or sti are probably your best choices.
His 3 most important criteria didn't include the "upkeep costs."

His number 1 is "POWAHHH" so the FRS/BRZ is no longer a candidate. I realize that the FRS/BRZ can be made fast with the aftermarket (forced induction), but I don't see any mention of him intending to mod.

His number 2 seems to indicate a nimble car. That removes many other candidates. My suggestions at this point would be Elise/Exige, Corvette, or a Cayman.

But his number 3... "gotta think of the bitches" - that leaves my choice for him with a Cayman S.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 AM   #13
Simon99

Shit I knew I forgot the Cayman S ! Yeah I did my research on it aswell and although porsche are crazy reliable, the parts are evwn pricier than an M3, plus the fact that it is mid engined wont allow alot of DIY repairs and modding. I have taken into account the insurance but I've came to the conclusion that I want this car to last and if thats includes paying acouple hundreds bucks more each year, in my books it's worth it. I'm coming from a Speed3 2007, so I'm really in the average power range of these car. Sure a BRZ is slower, but its RWD, so still alot fun.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:21 AM   #14
Simon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni_0176 View Post
His 3 most important criteria didn't include the "upkeep costs."

His number 1 is "POWAHHH" so the FRS/BRZ is no longer a candidate. I realize that the FRS/BRZ can be made fast with the aftermarket (forced induction), but I don't see any mention of him intending to mod.

His number 2 seems to indicate a nimble car. That removes many other candidates. My suggestions at this point would be Elise/Exige, Corvette, or a Cayman.

But his number 3... "gotta think of the bitches" - that leaves my choice for him with a Cayman S.
I have no problems with modding a car (guess how much my speed made before blowing ) but I would find it a bit sad to loose my warranty on a car with such a new engine But you're right that a Porsche is a crazy good choice, I just saw it more as a weekend ride fot aged man and not a DD for a young adult.. #doubleposting (yeah I just used a hashtag, its my generation that fucked up everything )