follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 PM   #29
FR-S Matt
Banned

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S MT
Thanked 1,771 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
I am wondering if its worth it to switch from aFe(not installed yet) to the Perrin CAI. But I want to get rid of the noise generator which means I need the silicone tube as well which together will be like 400$ Yikes!
I'm wondering the same thing @jflogerzi because I've got the aFe Takeda installed. It's really hard to say this early on because the Takeda has actually been tested a bit more than the Perrin, but the Perrin looks to have better overall positioning as a true CAI. Yes, it is around $400 for the silicon tube and the CAI which is pretty steep being $100 more, but even if all the numbers are true, you are looking at maybe a 1-2 whp difference.

We need more tests of this intake and dyno'd stock ECU's versus tuned ECU's with it to really come to a conclusion. I don't doubt Perrin's research as they go pretty extensively with their R&D. They do have one of the only few true CAI's that has a pretty good design with no metal tubing.

The aFe Takeda has a pretty aggressive sound to it above 4k rpm. I opted to keep the sound tube, but it's kinda personal preference. Most will remove it.

I'd maybe do the swap if a good group buy showed up for the Perrin CAI, but even then, I'd have to think about that for a bit. I'll see how things pan out and eyeball this intake with user reviews and dynos.
FR-S Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:04 PM   #30
SubaSteve
Captain Cocoa

Drives: CBS BRZ MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I should be getting mine on monday and if noone else uploads a video I'll make sure to. Well I'll do it anyways since I have both the cai and tube which removes all resonators. I guess it'll be nice for people to see the difference in just the cai and both.
SubaSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #31
2forme

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,552 Times in 843 Posts
Mentioned: 164 Post(s)
Garage
I'm going to be doing temperature testing with Sony on his Perrin CAI. One thing you guys with the afe have to consider is heat soak. The plastic takes a lot longer to warm up than metal. Sitting at a stop light for 5 minutes could have a 40 degree difference between intakes. IMO, it's not worth switching.
2forme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2forme For This Useful Post:
FR-S Matt (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 10:35 PM   #32
Batman
Easy, Tiger.

Drives: Tiguan, S4, SBC 350 Wrangler
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3gtGfcWw54"]Perrin intake sound, free revv - YouTube[/ame]

Here's the sound for y'all
Toyota GT 86 (06-11-2013), zohare (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #33
zohare

Drives: '13 Firestorm Base AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post

Here's the sound for y'all
Thanks man. Any chance of getting an interior sound clip?
zohare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 AM   #34
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
@Batman nice orange bits, looks unique... i like it!

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tylub For This Useful Post:
Batman (01-24-2013)
Old 01-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #35
chadstyle

Drives: 2013 Subaru BR-Z Limited
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I'm stoked to see this..mine shipped yesterday. Luckily its warm year round down here so I can do the install next week and take it out and drive it after. Looks like I need to call back today and have the silicone intake tube shipped out also...
Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #36
Sony

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ MT Limited
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tylub View Post
@Batman nice orange bits, looks unique... i like it!
This is video from Perrin's show car, it was all painted custom Orange. As far as I know this color is NOT available to the public.
Sony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #37
Tylub

Drives: Raven Black FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony View Post
This is video from Perrin's show car, it was all painted custom Orange. As far as I know this color is NOT available to the public.
OH! my mistake, i would still go with black to be stealth anyways since I'm in good ol' california

instagram @Tylub
Mods: Tomei UELs, Tomei OP, Perrin Catted FP, ARK DT-S, Perrin LW Crank Pulley, Enkei RPF1, RSR Sporti, Supertek Intake Tube, Perrin CAI, Stoptech SS lines/brakes/slotted rotors, Cusco MCB brace/Strut Bar
Tylub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #38
Sony

Heya guys, just checking in, I know a lot of you have been concerned on the price of the Perrin Intake vs. others and unfortunately I cannot yet give you guys anything to compare to prove that it's worth it over the FA20Club or the VMS intakes. I don't even know if it's really worth it myself yet as I haven't been able to drive the car since I installed it due to the roads here being absolute crap. All I know is the build quality of the entire kit is definitely up to par and it sounds great just sitting in the garage. Hopefully I can get you guys a better opinion on performance sooner rather than later. I'll tell you though, it sounds pretty mean! That isn't really a true measure of performance though, hopefully I can get some dyno results fairly soon.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:25 PM   #39
DBee
That Guy

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I will also have Dyno's soon as I will be taking my car to @Kaizen Tuning for a retune.
Keep us updated on your experience with Kaizen's tuning. I'm considering taking my car there after the Innovate supercharger goes on, but I'm not yet sold on their skill set outside of the Evo and GTR
DBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 PM   #40
Xdragonxb0i

Drives: ex500r
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
IDK if i should CAI or Drop In Route....
Correct me if im wrong, but wont the foam filter eventually degrade and get sucked into the intake?
Xdragonxb0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #41
Sony

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBee View Post
Keep us updated on your experience with Kaizen's tuning. I'm considering taking my car there after the Innovate supercharger goes on, but I'm not yet sold on their skill set outside of the Evo and GTR
Kaizen is my main tuner, I've had nothing but good experiences so far. They do a lot of work on STI's as well as EVO's and GTR's so they know Subaru well. They have already tuned my BRZ and I've gained 18hp over stock, from 140 stock to 158 with just my Perrin cat-back.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #42
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Kaizen is my main tuner, I've had nothing but good experiences so far. They do a lot of work on STI's as well as EVO's and GTR's so they know Subaru well. They have already tuned my BRZ and I've gained 18hp over stock, from 140 stock to 158 with just my Perrin cat-back.
Do you mind posting the dyno graph?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote