follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-21-2017, 09:35 AM   #337
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Not even a little. It does not divert attention from the wheel or driving at all (unless you are just starting out driving and don't know how to drive stick). Where did you find a statistic saying MT is more dangerous than AT?
It's not a distraction thing, once you know how to drive its second nature. I think MT have more motor and tranny issues than AT because miss shifts, bouncing off of rev limiters and clutch dumps don't help. AT cant do that as easily, a few people wreck their tranny with brake pedal holds.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:40 AM   #338
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Depends on the person, if anything, driving a manual makes me more aware because it keeps my focus on driving and not on my phone or stereo etc. I can't say the same for anyone else, but driving an auto makes me complacent and distracted. Seems to me that someone in that situation would be more likely to be involved in an accident.
Sounds like you're a fairly inexperienced driver if you require that much concentration just to row your own gears
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
D_Thissen (01-21-2017), soulreapersteve (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 11:40 AM   #339
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
"Being really good with a manual transmission can be a reward unto itself. People either feel it, or they don't."

Thats really true actually...when you drive MT like your hand and feet..that feeling..just amazing.
If it is new to you maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuimod View Post
Its because I think MT drivers are more likely to wreck their cars. Manual drivers who wreck their cars aren't going to go on a forum and say I should have gotten an automatic.... they have more important things to worry about like injuries, insurance, possible lawsuits, getting a car that works (if thats their only car).

With manual cars, there's more to keep track of (clutch engagement, being in the correct gear, etc), it diverts attention away from making up for the bad habits of other drivers .... like other drivers who slam on their brakes in stop and go traffic or change lanes without signaling.

I can see the appeal of manual cars but in an area with a lot of traffic and bad drivers, it can get nerve racking.
That is all just sily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Depends on the person, if anything, driving a manual makes me more aware because it keeps my focus on driving and not on my phone or stereo etc. I can't say the same for anyone else, but driving an auto makes me complacent and distracted. Seems to me that someone in that situation would be more likely to be involved in an accident.
If you lose focus so easily because you don't shift gears then you could just use the paddles all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
It's not a distraction thing, once you know how to drive its second nature. I think MT have more motor and tranny issues than AT because miss shifts, bouncing off of rev limiters and clutch dumps don't help. AT cant do that as easily, a few people wreck their tranny with brake pedal holds.
This^ Contrary to popular belief these cars are built as a street car that can be used on the track, not a track car that can be used on the street. You hammer it al the time and things will break. You need to expect that since dedicated race cars have beefed up parts for a reason.

I have been driving MTs for over 40 years and give no more conscious thought to when to shift than I do when to brake or steer. Do people really see a car stop in front of them and deliberately think "Oh that car stopped I had better start braking at 200 feet away so that I come to a rest 2 car lengths back"? No, you just do it. For as "engaged" as I am in my normal driving I may as well have an AT since the reality is that I am pretty much shifting automatically anyway. Now on those rare occasions when I want to push the limits then the MT does certainly have a couple of advantages.
Cole (01-21-2017), Dadhawk (01-21-2017), Overdrive (01-21-2017), Raven34 (01-21-2017), shiumai (01-21-2017), soulreapersteve (01-21-2017), why? (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #340
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post

That is all just sily.
If you lose focus so easily because you don't shift gears then you could just use the paddles all the time.

This^ Contrary to popular belief these cars are built as a street car that can be used on the track, not a track car that can be used on the street. You hammer it al the time and things will break. You need to expect that since dedicated race cars have beefed up parts for a reason.

I have been driving MTs for over 40 years and give no more conscious thought to when to shift than I do when to brake or steer. Do people really see a car stop in front of them and deliberately think "Oh that car stopped I had better start braking at 200 feet away so that I come to a rest 2 car lengths back"? No, you just do it. For as "engaged" as I am in my normal driving I may as well have an AT since the reality is that I am pretty much shifting automatically anyway. Now on those rare occasions when I want to push the limits then the MT does certainly have a couple of advantages.
Only real advantages are launching and clutch kicks.

Both transmissions are great, I'm happy with AT but I do sometimes miss shifting on my own, especially since I don't have to commute with the car anymore and sit in traffic with an ankle that feels like it's being stabbed with an ice pick while being lit on fire.

Edit: in regards to MT being "automatic" for you after 40 years of MT driving, I feel you on that, I was at that point about 8 months into driving MT. Not sure why people love pushing MT as some mystical skill that not everyone can have. At least you're realistic and honest about it.
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-21-2017), Overdrive (01-21-2017), soulreapersteve (01-21-2017), why? (01-21-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 07:37 PM   #341
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Only real advantages are launching and clutch kicks.

Both transmissions are great, I'm happy with AT but I do sometimes miss shifting on my own, especially since I don't have to commute with the car anymore and sit in traffic with an ankle that feels like it's being stabbed with an ice pick while being lit on fire.

Edit: in regards to MT being "automatic" for you after 40 years of MT driving, I feel you on that, I was at that point about 8 months into driving MT. Not sure why people love pushing MT as some mystical skill that not everyone can have. At least you're realistic and honest about it.
I was learning to drive a manual in my brother's civic few months back. After 2 days, I found myself trying to find the clutch pedal in my own car.. only to realize I kept stomping on the brake..
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to soulreapersteve For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-21-2017), Ultramaroon (01-23-2017)
Old 01-21-2017, 08:48 PM   #342
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
No. I will always love the well-executed second gear pull, a smooth double-clutched, rev-matched downshift into third at 5 Krpm to pass on a 2 lane road.

Sure, I've done it a million times. I've eaten a million cheeseburgers too. Still love both.

Don't piss on my simple pleasures, you grumpy old curmudgeon.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #343
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
No. I will always love the well-executed second gear pull, a smooth double-clutched, rev-matched downshift into third at 5 Krpm to pass on a 2 lane road.

Sure, I've done it a million times. I've eaten a million cheeseburgers too. Still love both.

Don't piss on my simple pleasures, you grumpy old curmudgeon.
Ahhh see but you are not me and that is sort of the point of the whole thread and any other where somebody asks this question. They have to decide for their reasons not ours.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #344
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Ahhh see but you are not me and that is sort of the point of the whole thread and any other where somebody asks this question. They have to decide for their reasons not ours.
Quote:
If it is new to me maybe.
ok then, fify
Old 01-21-2017, 09:27 PM   #345
Tcoat

Quote:
ok then, fify
Some?
Old 01-21-2017, 09:32 PM   #346
Raven34

Drives: 2013 Raven black FRS MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks Tcoat for explaining it right. As for all opinions........they are just that, stop working yourselves up over nothing.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Tapatalk
Raven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #347
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Some?
Meh, ok.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:53 PM   #348
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Meh, ok.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 PM   #349
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

That is all just sily.

I am not new,,but thats why passion,,I still feel good.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FR-Sky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-21-2017), Ultramaroon (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 10:31 PM   #350
Calvin27

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
Also, what are the advantages that you can use the clutch to? I've already mentioned launching, burning out etc. But what practical advantage is there in daily driving that a clutch provides?
Well if you are talking daily driver, then should have gotten a honda civic.
Calvin27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
know it all, richardsfrs sucks