follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To get the Performance Package or Not? Thread

Hey all,

So I've been noticing we've been going back and forth on this subject across four threads and I wanted to just to make one thread for this so that we can help inform new buyers. OR chatter among ourselves, it's getting tedious to go back and fourth between 4 threads on the same topic.

First of IT'S NOT AVAILABLE TILL WINTER 2017!

I posted this in another thread but here is my research into the subject matter.

Quote:
For early adopters who might have gotten killer deals on a none PP. you could just add on BBK later, it's not like the aftermarket brakes are bad or anything. I understand the whole warranty situation, but talking to some people here who are getting 1000 or more off their BRZ limited.

Let's talk some numbers here and just in case people are wondering. Yes I'm a pretty reliable source I'm sure most of the forums will vouch for me.

So say you are an early adopter and you go out to get a BRZ Limited let's say for this example it had PP3

You get around invoice and or below and you get to walk out the door

$28,600(let's do VA tax of 5%)

That's a pretty good deal. Now say you want a car with PP and in this example you get the same BRZ limited PP3 now with PP package. But you get lucky and your dealer is willing to sell it to you at invoice(not below but at invoice) car is at invoice and PP is at invoice

OTD would be about $31800hmm I guess that's not too bad. But here's the real thing ....so the PP at invoice is about1000$ , the different OTD is currently at $3200 tax/fees included subtract that PP part then you're at $2200 higher.

Now that was the good dealer scenario, now things could change for example
If the car has PP1 or PP2 you're looking at about

$32,800-$33,100 so now for your PP you just went up $4000OTD compared to a None PP car, your almost at 5500 lower if you want a BRZ premium and about 3800 less if you want an 86

Hmm suddenly.... Buying it separately or buying the one with out starting to look better.

Ok no let's be realistic, the number of PP cars initially let's say will likely be small, because hey Subaru has to sell some of the Yellow Series cars too. So let's say it's Optismistically January and PP cars arrive to Lots.

Likely you won't get them at Invoice, and more at MSRP and then let's not even go into Dealer mark up and how loaded the cars may be to generate more money for dealers.

Suddenly your OTD is now

$34500 ish

At this point you're prolly asking yourself why am I gonna spend almost double what this car is actually worth or its class. Remember these cars are suppose to be in the 25,000 fun affordable package. You might as well buy an STI.

But hey to each their own and if you can afford it go ahead! I'm just helping people be informed.

So now you have the early adopters who saved 1000$-2000$ as the years roll by they get used to the car and they say hey my warranty is up in gonna get a BBK and go hard core racing. Point is you're totally not missing out on the PP in fact you saving extra money could mean other parts for you money you can do other stuff with, the guys that had the cars before us the 2012-2016 guys for by fine with out PP.

So all I'm saying is search yourself do you track? Do you AutoX? ( in terms of Auto X think how long till they move your brake advantage out of stock class?) or are you someone daily driving, is his your first car? Etc. choose what is right for you but also realize that,

They have to make money somewhere too.
Quote:
this is from @deejaylew

"It’s important to note that I only experienced this new BRZ under track conditions – no portion of the drive occurred on regular roads. I can intuit that the newly free traction control settings will make the BRZ a friendlier backroad companion, and that the revised steering will be recognized by Sunday drivers, as well. But the primary difference offered by the Performance Package upgrades would seem to be lost on casual driving; it’s fair to say I’ll need a longer test at home to know for sure. Truth be told, I liked the slightly softer setup of the standard car, even on Fuji, with its progressive body roll (slight though it is) keeping me very in tune with every bit of mid-corner slippage."

Have to link to a cached version of the website, it appears to be down right now.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

So you probably cant go wrong with either version of the car, just trying to help everyone make an informed decision.
Add on as you please

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (09-09-2016), funwheeldrive (09-09-2016), Tcoat (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #2
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hmm.. i get the feeling this will be a popular thread over the next 3-4 months.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #3
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
Hmm.. i get the feeling this will be a popular thread over the next 3-4 months.
Speaking of your review in the quote I also remember, watching a review with the DK (Keiichi Tsuchiya)and he review the BRZ with PP and without and said pretty much similar things to the review you quoted. He praised both set up.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRFHJhr-zOM"]SUBARU BRZ GTプãƒ*トタイプã«ãƒ‰ãƒªã‚*ン土屋åœ* 市ãŒå…¨é–‹è©¦ä¹—ï¼ - YouTube[/ame]

He said that GT grade (US would be PP) is totally different than R & S (in US would be Premium & Limited). Even '17 R/S model, it's way better. He really enjoyed how they setup the suspension. Specially around the gap, he can go through the gap without worrying about flying everywhere. Instead damper quickly respond and keep the car stable and turn in is very quick as well. From street to track, you can have fun with this setup. Translations from Ichitaka05

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zaku For This Useful Post:
Ganthrithor (10-27-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think it's worth noting too that most high quality aftermarket BBKs are going to be notably lighter compared to the OEM Brembos.

If you plan on keeping your car mostly stock for years and years, I could see the appeal of the PP. Like everyone is saying, it really depends on what you want out of your car.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (09-09-2016), Ganthrithor (10-27-2016), gramicci101 (09-09-2016), Zaku (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 11:53 AM   #5
deejaylew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
Speaking of your review in the quote I also remember, watching a review with the DK (Keiichi Tsuchiya)and he review the BRZ with PP and without and said pretty much similar things to the review you quoted. He praised both set up.

He said that GT grade (US would be PP) is totally different than R & S (in US would be Premium & Limited). Even '17 R/S model, it's way better. He really enjoyed how they setup the suspension. Specially around the gap, he can go through the gap without worrying about flying everywhere. Instead damper quickly respond and keep the car stable and turn in is very quick as well. From street to track, you can have fun with this setup. Translations from Ichitaka05
I think fans of the BRZ have been waiting so long for a meaningful upgrade that we wanted this to be our "STI" when honestly it seems more just a package to make the car more track ready (minus the obvious need to change the tires). I love that its being offered but after doing the research it just didn't seem to be a match for me.

I thought my stock 13 BRZ was almost a perfect street setup when I had it.. to hear that there is new bracing, a larger rear sway on all models, and a retuning of the suspension setup I think the standard model is the upgrade I wanted.. not necessarily the PP which is geared towards track times.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post:
Elleteeh (09-09-2016), funwheeldrive (09-09-2016), radroach (09-11-2016), Tcoat (09-09-2016), Zaku (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:00 PM   #6
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For the price it seems like a no-brainer. That said, if you plan on modifying your car in such a way that's going to remove the PP goodies (ie - aftermarket BBK, coils, wheels, etc), then it's money wasted.

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pinski For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (09-09-2016), Elleteeh (09-09-2016), funwheeldrive (09-09-2016), NLS8520 (09-09-2016), Tcoat (09-09-2016), Zaku (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:19 PM   #7
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaylew View Post
I think fans of the BRZ have been waiting so long for a meaningful upgrade that we wanted this to be our "STI" when honestly it seems more just a package to make the car more track ready (minus the obvious need to change the tires). I love that its being offered but after doing the research it just didn't seem to be a match for me.

I thought my stock 13 BRZ was almost a perfect street setup when I had it.. to hear that there is new bracing, a larger rear sway on all models, and a retuning of the suspension setup I think the standard model is the upgrade I wanted.. not necessarily the PP which is geared towards track times.
Agreed. I have always liked the idea of an STi model, but now I'm not so sure.

The PP is almost 35k OTD. A legitimate STi would have to be close to 40k OTD, even without any kind of dealer markup.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
deejaylew (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #8
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
I will add some discussion points:

Many will pay the extra even though they will never, ever, need the bigger brakes. They will do it for bragging rights, the cosmetics it provides or the mistaken belief it will help them stop better. Although bragging rights and cosmetics are both perfectly reasonable reasons the whole stopping thing needs to be clarified.

Bigger brakes do not make you stop faster or better. This has been heavily debated before and some wonky physics thrown around as "proof" that they do but it is just not fact. Your tires will brake loose before your normal brakes ever give up when street driving. Bigger brakes do help with heat dissipation and preventing fade. On the track these are very critical factors but if you are driving on the street in such a manner that heat is an issue then you are doing something wrong.

There are many aftermarket solutions that can cost you way less than the package. I bet there are a couple of thousand posts on here from experienced track guys that state very clearly that for the casual track day all you really need are good pads and fluid. This package may be gross overkill for the casual track guy and is totally not required for street use.

As mentioned anybody that buys the package needs to think through what their future mod plans are. If wheel or suspension changes are going to be done then it is not a great package to get just for the brakes. You could of course sell the parts but you are still going to take a hit. It remains to be seen how well these cars are going to sell but if the dealers bring them in with the package already in place it could be a great bargaining tool when negotiating price. "Well Salesman Joe, I really have not decided on this or the new 86 but if you were to throw in a PP..."
jarnojvv (09-27-2016), MJones_RB (09-09-2016), Zaku (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
FX86
Banned

Drives: on the wrongside of the road
Thanked 2,087 Times in 1,015 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
everyone knows you don't need brakes to go fast therefore this performance package is a waste of money
FX86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FX86 For This Useful Post:
Zaku (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:14 PM   #10
jmark

Drives: '97 NSX-T, '18 Type R
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
In SC our tax is capped at $300. PP for my son & me.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmark For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (09-09-2016)
Old 09-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
deejaylew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
In SC our tax is capped at $300. PP for my son & me.
Slightly Off topic but we live very near each other. You'll probably see me driving through Greer at some point when my 17' arrives. I'd love to see your PP when you get it also!
Old 09-09-2016, 01:21 PM   #12
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
<- Sad Canadian posting a useless post :-(
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CBR600RR For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 01:35 PM   #13
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I've not kept up with the differences because I'm not in the market for a new car right now, but is there more than just the suspension and brakes between the limited and performance package? Something not easily replaceable, I mean? Brakes and suspension are common, easy, and relatively low cost upgrades; something like traction control or a gearing change is not.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2016, 01:38 PM   #14
deejaylew

Quote:
Originally Posted by gramicci101 View Post
I've not kept up with the differences because I'm not in the market for a new car right now, but is there more than just the suspension and brakes between the limited and performance package? Something not easily replaceable, I mean? Brakes and suspension are common, easy, and relatively low cost upgrades; something like traction control or a gearing change is not.
That and wheels to clear the brakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post: