follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Synchros problem?

I have about 1,100 miles on my MT FR-S. I've noticed that the first and second gear synchros are a bit "crunchy". It is hard to shift into those gears smoothly, there is a little bit of push back and a feeling and sound of pushing metal pieces. It's not grinding at all, and the clutch is fully depressed. What it seems like is synchros that are not as smoothly meshed as they could be. Anyone else having this issue?
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
Brzce (12-09-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #2
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
I have about 1,100 miles on my MT FR-S. I've noticed that the first and second gear synchros are a bit "crunchy". It is hard to shift into those gears smoothly, there is a little bit of push back and a feeling and sound of pushing metal pieces. It's not grinding at all, and the clutch is fully depressed. What it seems like is synchros that are not as smoothly meshed as they could be. Anyone else having this issue?
Just to make the suggestion, get it taken care of under warranty immediately. While I don't have my FR-S yet, I can tell you that a "crunchy" sound like you are describing is indeed something wrong with the synchros
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Are you shifting it into first before the car is completely stopped? What is your past experience with manuel transmissions?
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #4
Matt Andrews

Drives: race cars
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
mine has only about 60 miles on it. I have noticed that 1st gear has some resistance when down shifting before completely stopped, but I wouldn't consider it a crunch at all.

Are your issues on upshifts or downshifts?

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
http://fecompetition.wordpress.com/
https://www.facebook.com/FECompetition
Matt Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Zach

Drives: 13 FR-S Black MT
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
I have about 800 miles and experience similar, I'm willing to bet this is normal and just a part of its normal operation, much like the chatter some are experiencing down low in the rpm.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zach For This Useful Post:
Brzce (12-09-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM   #6
chulooz
Registered you sir

Drives: 99 impreza coupe
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Andrews View Post
mine has only about 60 miles on it. I have noticed that 1st gear has some resistance when down shifting before completely stopped, but I wouldn't consider it a crunch at all.

Are your issues on upshifts or downshifts?
Don't, Do not, shift into first before the vehicle is completely stopped.

I hope this car doesnt start coming off as a shit bucket because of mistreatment, whether unknowingly or not.
chulooz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chulooz For This Useful Post:
cf6mech (11-07-2012), FT86Katsu (06-13-2012), Ochtó-Sé (07-14-2012), sdlynx (07-25-2012), W2 (07-14-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
I have about 800 miles and experience similar, I'm willing to bet this is normal and just a part of its normal operation, much like the chatter some are experiencing down low in the rpm.
One is an engine noise because of the DI system, the other is transmission. I have had synchros go on me before, and it sounds very similar to what happened to me--crunchy noises mean that the synchros are wearing abnormally.

Quote:
Matt, listen to this guy, he is correct:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulooz View Post
Don't, Do not, shift into first before the vehicle is completely stopped.

I hope this car doesnt start coming off as a shit bucket because of mistreatment, whether unknowingly or not.
Agreed, chulooz
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #8
FRiSson

Drives: FR-S MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Just a couple of notes, I have been using manual shift cars for thirty years and never had a transmission that required service, or had to replace a clutch (even after 155,000 original miles). So, my shift style is not to blame. The problem is inconsistent, but appears to be getting worse, so I will be bringing it to the attention of the dealer. The issue appears when getting into first for the initial start up and then into second gear. Example: heavy traffic, I slow down a bit while in second, then switch into neutral, I put the car back into second, at about 22 mph, but it takes a fair amount of push and noise to get it back into gear. The overall feeling of getting into gear at this point is not smooth at all. The feeling is similar to well-worn synchros on an old transmission. What I wanted to know is if other people are experiencing this.

Last edited by FRiSson; 06-11-2012 at 11:19 PM.
FRiSson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FRiSson For This Useful Post:
Brzce (11-06-2012), flippy (12-06-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRiSson View Post
Just a couple of notes, I have been using manual shift cars for thirty years and never had a transmission that required service, or had to replace a clutch (even after 155,000 original miles). So, my shift style is not to blame. The problem is inconsistent, but appears to be getting worse, so I will be bringing it to the attention of the dealer. What I wanted to know is if other people are experiencing this.
Good idea... I would let dealer take care of it.

On the side note, when are you trying to shift into 2nd or 1st that makes those problems?
Old 06-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
Matt Andrews

Thanks for the heads up.

I've only done it when slow rolling before a stoplight. But I will admit on a tight road course or auto cross in the future I probably would have shifted into first with a heel / toe throttle blip. (i think - I honestly haven't paid too much attention to 1st gear gearing) What is special about this transmission that prevents you from doing this?

11/19/12 - Just back from Redline TimeAttack's demo event. Video and write up in link below.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the heads up.

I've only done it when slow rolling before a stoplight. But I will admit on a tight road course or auto cross in the future I probably would have shifted into first with a heel / toe throttle blip. (i think - I honestly haven't paid too much attention to 1st gear gearing) What is special about this transmission that prevents you from doing this?
Gear ratio is major one I think. FRS/BRZ gears are really short, so gotta watch out
Old 06-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #12
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
From another post, I was informed that the first two gears used a triple cone design for the synchros. This makes them feel a little notchy at times, namely when going into first at a stop, but that does not indicate a problem with them. Now if you hear the heart-wrenching gear grind noise when shifting, that's a different matter.

And yes, never use first gear unless you are stopped completely. Since the gears are somewhat close, you can easily ride second gear from 5mph. If you are below that, you can stop completely and then do a first gear shift. I've found second gear to go really, really low which I like because I'm used to that on the Si.

For sport driving, it's up to you but I'd keep the abuse while DDing to as minimal as possible!
ahausheer (07-14-2012), blu_ (06-12-2012), scionfrs2014 (02-28-2014), TPO (06-14-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
motofan

Drives: 10 VW GTI
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have experience with some other cars for the past 10 years that it can be hard to shift into 1st gear. But not for the 10 GTI. You can try heel and toe or just bring the rev up when you down shift to low gears. Can be helpful.
motofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Matt Andrews

ok. you guys are talking about sticking into 1st without a rev match.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matt Andrews For This Useful Post:
DrDuquette (07-15-2012)