follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2017, 07:10 PM   #43
Norkoastal
Never on Time Always Late

Drives: #silenced crickets
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Finally got this set installed. Break in period had me worried, but overall more comiant on bad roads than my sti silver and pink sti spring combo. A little noisier than the old setup, but the setup feels stock plus overall, and doesnt introduce too much lean in the turns. For the price of the set id say this was a good buy. For those on decent roads this would be a nice stock swap.
solidONE (11-03-2017), TachyonBomb (11-03-2017)
Old 11-04-2017, 09:46 AM   #44
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norkoastal View Post
Finally got this set installed. Break in period had me worried, but overall more comiant on bad roads than my sti silver and pink sti spring combo. A little noisier than the old setup, but the setup feels stock plus overall, and doesnt introduce too much lean in the turns. For the price of the set id say this was a good buy. For those on decent roads this would be a nice stock swap.
You say decent roads. What do you mean? Smooth? How are these compared to factory dampers on the rough, bumpy stuff?

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 10:58 AM   #45
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I'm not sure what's the reason of going back to Showa when last and current performance BRZ versions are using Bilstein and Sachs suspension. OEM stock suspension is good for a "sporty" ride, but cannot be compared with a good monotube upside-down (inverted) design. The only reason I can think is if price difference. Are they considerable cheaper than a a B6/B8 suspension?
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:08 PM   #46
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I'm not sure what's the reason of going back to Showa when last and current performance BRZ versions are using Bilstein and Sachs suspension. OEM stock suspension is good for a "sporty" ride, but cannot be compared with a good monotube upside-down (inverted) design. The only reason I can think is if price difference. Are they considerable cheaper than a a B6/B8 suspension?
Did you not see my posts on this?
These are not the same as OE replacement shocks. The shock body is much longer and is designed to be used with lowering springs.

All other shocks that are exact same dimensions as OE shocks are not the same.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:14 PM   #47
mav1178

Quote:
Any perceived improvements from this new set vs. the 13-16 sti pink spring/silver sti strut combo? Im constantly battling crappy roads, and would prefer this comfort focused style over a coilover system if tye performance benefits/height (raise) arent diminished.
Quote:
Your original complaint about your STI setup was the poor roads in NorCal. Was the Showa set better or worse? It may be more compliant but if there is a huge performance drop then it may not meet your intended goal(s).

I was told by another person that it took the springs about a month to settle in, was this the case with what you experienced?

And what would you want different as far as the spring/shock is concerned if you were to make changes?
Old 11-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #48
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
Did you not see my posts on this?
These are not the same as OE replacement shocks. The shock body is much longer and is designed to be used with lowering springs.

All other shocks that are exact same dimensions as OE shocks are not the same.
Yes I saw this and read all the posts. A similar longer shock body was provided by Bilstein in the BRZ tS car. My point was mainly that the Showa shocks are still twin-tube, instead of mono-tube.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #49
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes I saw this and read all the posts. A similar longer shock body was provided by Bilstein in the BRZ tS car. My point was mainly that the Showa shocks are still twin-tube, instead of mono-tube.

Let me guess: you read somewhere that monotube is supposedly superior to twin tube, right?
Old 11-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #50
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by venturaII View Post
Let me guess: you read somewhere that monotube is supposedly superior to twin tube, right?
I 'm not interested to convert this topic a mono-tube vs. twin-tube discussion. Whoever interested can find the differences.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #51
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
I 'm not interested to convert this topic a mono-tube vs. twin-tube discussion. Whoever interested can find the differences.
You already turned it into one with your "My point was mainly that the Showa shocks are still twin-tube, instead of mono-tube." statement above. And similar to other posts you've made on other topics, you don't seem to really understand what you're talking about.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:39 PM   #52
nikitopo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
A serious question: Is Bilstein B6 a better option? Why?
Quote:
You already turned it into one with your "My point was mainly that the Showa shocks are still twin-tube, instead of mono-tube." statement above. And similar to other posts you've made on other topics, you don't seem to really understand what you're talking about.
OP made this question a few posts back. I made some remarks and that's all. I asked also what is the price of Showa. It looks that you are not reading and just want to have an argument with me. Get a life!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:28 PM   #53
mav1178

Quote:
My main point is you have to compare apples to apples.

The Sachs dampers (2015+ and 2017+ with PP) and Bilstein (BRZ tS and also optional STI yellows, similar design as these Showa) are all upgrades from the factory "base" Showa units.

These are also an upgrade from the factory Showa units found on all years.

None of the Sachs/Bilstein units should be a direct comparison (if you only consider the factory/STI units), because 1) they are much more expensive, and 2) they carry completely different warranties (usually 3 years/36,000 miles). The expensive price from a dealer reflects the fact that they are OEM with OEM quality and support.

If you want to compare the Showa Tuning shocks, you should compare them to similar OE aftermarket spring/shock that replaces factory units. Shocks like Bilstein B6, or springs like Eibach.

If you want to compare these to the factory Sachs (PP) or Bilstein (tS), of course those are better. It's not even in the same realm of conversation.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:17 PM   #54
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
OP made this question a few posts back. I made some remarks and that's all. I asked also what is the price of Showa. It looks that you are not reading and just want to have an argument with me. Get a life!

I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but I'd bet that his 'question' was a politely phrased challenge to you to defend your assertion that a B6 was better than the Showa. Your regurgitation of more marketing bs regarding mono versus twin tube differences simply highlights your lack of understanding about either design, and seems to match your m.o. when topics of a technical nature come up.
Cole (11-05-2017)
Old 11-05-2017, 04:21 AM   #55
nikitopo

Quote:
I'm not going to put words in his mouth, but I'd bet that his 'question' was a politely phrased challenge to you to defend your assertion that a B6 was better than the Showa. Your regurgitation of more marketing bs regarding mono versus twin tube differences simply highlights your lack of understanding about either design, and seems to match your m.o. when topics of a technical nature come up.
It wasn't a challenge particularly to me. I didn't have any post at that time. Something wrong is really going with you.
Old 11-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #56
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Quote:
Something wrong is really going with you.
If calling out bs info is wrong, then I'll gladly wear that hat.