follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #57
rice_classic

Drives: Nevermorange FRS
Thanked 4,200 Times in 1,803 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
If it's hybrid then it simply can't be a manual. No way for it to be.
Honda's first hybrid came with a standard. The 1st gen Insight.

I know this because I've always wanted one, mostly out of masochism but I browse craigslist for them every month or so.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:47 PM   #58
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm more interested in this than the new NSX that's been recently spotted at the ring
Old 07-23-2014, 06:42 AM   #59
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
I'm more interested in this than the new NSX that's been recently spotted at the ring
Sure, different price range, NSX will be priced 100K-150K. But S2000 replacement is not a real one, having a mid-rear transversal engine layout. Mid-front I'm all for it.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 03:55 PM   #60
MokSpeed
Granny Shifter

Drives: 2014 FR-S
Thanked 1,289 Times in 711 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Nothing can fix how hideous Hondas have become.
MokSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 PM   #61
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Sure, different price range, NSX will be priced 100K-150K. But S2000 replacement is not a real one, having a mid-rear transversal engine layout. Mid-front I'm all for it.
Why? Mid-rear is superior. I'm perfectly content with the new s2000 being a turbo baby-NSX and not an FR roadster.
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #62
blackhawkdown

Drives: 2012 WRX, 2003 RSX Type S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
blackhawkdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 07:41 PM   #63
rice_classic

I wish Honda would pay closer attention to what Mazda is doing.

oh yeah, and the Twins.
strat61caster (07-23-2014)
Old 07-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #64
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways&Smiling View Post
I'm perfectly content with the new s2000 being a turbo baby-NSX and not an FR roadster.

This. I'm more interested in these rumors of the new S2000 because, probably like most people on this forum, I might be able to afford a 35-50k turbo baby-NSX but will never be able to afford the full size version that costs almost as much as my house.

I get it that S2000 purists don't want that moniker placed on a baby NSX because it has nothing in common with the original, but I don't really care what they call it as long as it get's built.

They could just as easily bring back the Prelude name for this car....wasn't that their sporty coupe with all the high tech goodies like 4 wheel steering and later super handling (SH) models?
Old 07-23-2014, 10:23 PM   #65
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagz94 View Post
This. I'm more interested in these rumors of the new S2000 because, probably like most people on this forum, I might be able to afford a 35-50k turbo baby-NSX but will never be able to afford the full size version that costs almost as much as my house.

I get it that S2000 purists don't want that moniker placed on a baby NSX because it has nothing in common with the original, but I don't really care what they call it as long as it get's built.

They could just as easily bring back the Prelude name for this car....wasn't that their sporty coupe with all the high tech goodies like 4 wheel steering and later super handling (SH) models?
I love my S2000, and I love the NSX. They are both unique and have amazing handling, as I'm sure this will. I don't love that a good S2000 hardtop costs $4,000. This would fix that, and it gets a turbo! I suspect the price tag will end up being the only thing not to like. haha. A really serious mid-engined sports car coupe with razor sharp handling would be PERFECT right now.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:30 AM   #66
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
There are many mid-rear sports cars, very few mid-front. Mid-front is superior when well built. Ex: S2000, LFA.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #67
Superhatch
AIM4APX

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_classic View Post
I wish Honda would pay closer attention to what Mazda is doing.

oh yeah, and the Twins.
I think Honda is looking to the future. More specifically they want to be moving towards what they think will be the future. Remember when the NSX was rumored to be a hybrid and we all freaked out? Then Porsche and McLaren came out with devastatingly awesome hybrids and we all collectively "ooooo"'ed? I think Honda has been ahead of it's time for a very long time. Subaru and Toyota basically made a cheaper, hardtop S2000 15 years after Honda released their lightweight roadster. Prior to that they were making econo-boxes and Type R versions that were being converted to track cars like nothing else save the Miata. Until these cars (the NSX and S3000) are put through their paces I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You also forget that the new Civic Type R is being hailed as an amazing FWD 5 door hatch. I'd be willing to bet that the high revving turbo vtec motor in that car is a testing ground for what is to come from Honda. Honda US might suck, but they have been making good things around the world this whole time.
funwheeldrive (07-24-2014)
Old 07-24-2014, 09:23 AM   #68
Sideways&Smiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
There are many mid-rear sports cars, very few mid-front. Mid-front is superior when well built. Ex: S2000, LFA.
Mid-front is fairly common, isn't it? Aren't Corvettes and even the 350z/370z front-midships?

I was always under the impression that front-mid > front, but true mid-engine cars > front-mid...
Old 07-24-2014, 11:01 AM   #69
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhatch View Post
I think Honda is looking to the future. More specifically they want to be moving towards what they think will be the future. Remember when the NSX was rumored to be a hybrid and we all freaked out? Then Porsche and McLaren came out with devastatingly awesome hybrids and we all collectively "ooooo"'ed? I think Honda has been ahead of it's time for a very long time. Subaru and Toyota basically made a cheaper, hardtop S2000 15 years after Honda released their lightweight roadster. Prior to that they were making econo-boxes and Type R versions that were being converted to track cars like nothing else save the Miata. Until these cars (the NSX and S3000) are put through their paces I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

You also forget that the new Civic Type R is being hailed as an amazing FWD 5 door hatch. I'd be willing to bet that the high revving turbo vtec motor in that car is a testing ground for what is to come from Honda. Honda US might suck, but they have been making good things around the world this whole time.

Eh. Even Honda Execs have said they have no interest in ever making a car like the ITR/S2K again because they don't make financial sense. The twins and others have changed that direction a little as this year in talking with some Honda execs/HPD guys there were hints that there will be something in the future of interest but it's not clear what it will be yet.

Knowing Honda, I don't expect much (although I hope I'm wrong). And I'm still anti Hybrid for the NSX, P-Cars, etc.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:29 AM   #70
rice_classic

Quote:
Remember when the NSX was rumored to be a hybrid and we all freaked out? Then Porsche and McLaren came out with devastatingly awesome hybrids and we all collectively "ooooo"'ed? I think Honda has been ahead of it's time for a very long time.
I didn't ooooo and ahhhh at the LaFerrari or the 918 or the P1. I saw the performance figures and I saw the price tag and I thought: "Well, that adds up.. with a price like that it better perform like that." There's no magic, it's only calculus. If broaching the limits of technology = oooohhs and aaaahhs, then the Driverless Google car really ought to get enthusiasts excited...

Rewind to 1990; what made us oooh and aaaah for the NSX was that it was "attainable" by the common man yet it outclassed just about everything save the F40. The sum of the parts exceeded the calculus. It punched way above its price tag. Today, the car that achieves that goal isn't made by Honda, it's made by Nissan; the GTR. The original NSX was also dead nuts reliable, easy to work on and could be driven around town in comfort. Ain't nobody doing that with a F40 or Diablo.

I just don't think Honda is going to deliver that a second time. Why? Economics and physics. The economics of the advanced technologies won't allow Honda to repeat what they did with the original and the technology of today (and tomorrow) puts everything already at the limits of physics that there's really no more huge gains to be had. Everyone has already exceeded, to a degree, what the tire touching the pavement can do and beyond that there just ain't much more.

Deliver a new NSX at or under 100k that's Accord reliable while performing close to the current top supercars. Then I'll ooooohhh and aaaaaahhh like I did in the early 90's.
Quote:
We don't need the exotic Type Rs, we just need their normal cars to have some performance in their soul, instead of 3000lb boats with MacPherson struts. I still think an S2000 coupe with 4 seats @ $30k would have been a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
The twins and others have changed that direction a little as this year in talking with some Honda execs/HPD guys there were hints that there will be something in the future of interest but it's not clear what it will be yet.
They need to stop measuring their wangs at the Nordschleife and just get back to basics before their fan base completely dries up and their only selling point is: "Yeah, we know it's ugly and boring, by hey.. it's reliable!"
Atropine (07-28-2014)