follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2012, 01:51 PM   #1919
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Everybody won't like the same car. Take me for instance, I only like the 370Z/3.8Track GC/BRZ Limited when it comes to sporting cars under 40k. None of the other cars do it for me so I can understand why a lot of people doesn't like the GC. I have never driven the manual GC but the 6 speed auto is a blast and is geared more aggressive than the manual which is a plus for the GC but I am disappointed about the BRZ's auto gearing not being as aggressive as the manual. If I was aiming for a manual version of both cars I would easily choose the BRZ over the GC because of all the bad press of the GC's manual. But the automatic in the GC seems better than the BRZ's as most reviews say it feels like it has worst acceleration in comparison to the manual. I don't want to lose acceleration and pay $1,100 more. That makes no sense to me.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #1920
DieDriving
I aint no snitch

Drives: 330i, C300, "00 lude, "94 Accord
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion View Post
With a dual clutch system out of the picture, I don't think people are buying the auto for performance.... More so for convenience.
I agree, people get auto for sake of convenience especially commute to work in SoCal but I would get manual anyway.
DieDriving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #1921
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaquestion View Post
With a dual clutch system out of the picture, I don't think people are buying the auto for performance.... More so for convenience.
But you can still get an auto that performs on the same level as the manual or better. Nissan 370Z 7 Speed auto is .2 seconds quicker than the manual with better gearing/downshift rev match and it also still gets better mpg on the hwy by 1mpg. The GC auto is neck and neck with the manual. The FRS is about .7-1 seconds slower. It is not worth buying the auto option on the BRZ/FRS it seems. I would rather have the same mileage or worst than the manual to get better acceleration.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:06 PM   #1922
Qnzkid90

Drives: Genesis Coupe 2.0T
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So the Brz/FRS auto is slower than the manual? Kind of dissapointing to hear... For the last 6 months I've been going back and fourth between the '13 2.0 Gen & BRZ limited. My lease is up in two months and I've been doing a lot of reserach of both cars. I currently own a 2.0T Genesis coupe but it's the older model. The 6 speed Auto is fun but the car still feels heavy and needs a power boost which is where the refresh comes in. I like the fact the BRZ is more fuel efficient but I'm getting an automatic for sure. What would you guys do?
Qnzkid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #1923
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Have you ever driven the R-Spec or Track models? The Premium spec suspension offers more bodyroll that would make the car feel more boat-like.
There is no rspec in canada. The first rspec ever offered here is the 2013 and it only comes in a 2.0t. The cheapest 3.8 starts at 35k
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #1924
pastuch

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnzkid90 View Post
So the Brz/FRS auto is slower than the manual? Kind of dissapointing to hear... For the last 6 months I've been going back and fourth between the '13 2.0 Gen & BRZ limited. My lease is up in two months and I've been doing a lot of reserach of both cars. I currently own a 2.0T Genesis coupe but it's the older model. The 6 speed Auto is fun but the car still feels heavy and needs a power boost which is where the refresh comes in. I like the fact the BRZ is more fuel efficient but I'm getting an automatic for sure. What would you guys do?
Why not just buy a corolla and get it over with? They shouldnt sell sports cars with anything but a stick.
pastuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 08:35 PM   #1925
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Sounds like the 2013 GC will suit you 100% provided that the 8 speed gearbox is geared as good or better than the manual.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #1926
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post

The GC auto is neck and neck with the manual. The FRS is about .7-1 seconds slower. It is not worth buying the auto option on the BRZ/FRS it seems. I would rather have the same mileage or worst than the manual to get better acceleration.
The gc manual also sucks ass

Drove the new 13 gc and all the things I didn't like about the first one were improved but not fixed. cabin design is pretty damn nice tho.

I don't see the hate for the frs auto considering many have said its the best none dual clutch and 1 sec slower really depends on driver cause not everyone can get good numbers in the manual

I would of bought a 1st gen gc if the rspec was around but now I hate the look and the shifting still sucks tho is better than before
Old 05-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #1927
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Reading the MT review of the '13 and seeing the .97g is rather impressive. Is it still on the Potenza RE050As? (I looked for tires but only found the outgoing one's...)

But given the 55/45 weight distribution and staggered tires with 225/40R19s in the front (which points to the fronts washing out first to limit grip and understeer) instead of swaying me to the GenCoupe, it got me thinking about what a grip monster the FR-S/BRZ will be with bigger stickier rubber...

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:24 AM   #1928
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Interesting thread here with all the driving experiences shared to date. Making my own judgment Monday as I test-drive an FR-S auto followed immediately by a CG 2.0 manual (although not R-spec unfortunately). I've driven an FR-S manual already so this should be an interesting comparison.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
SUB-FT86 (05-12-2012)
Old 05-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #1929
Deslock

Drives: 2013 DZE/01 (sold for MX5 ND1)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Not get an AT.

Not trying to be condescending with that response, but unless someone is physically incapable of driving a stick, the involvement of an MT is what this kind of car is all about. The AT has its place as it's more convenient and in some cases more efficient, but there are oodles of even more efficient, more comfortable, and cheaper commuter cars if that's your priority.

Deslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #1930
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deslock View Post
Not get an AT.

Not trying to be condescending with that response, but unless someone is physically incapable of driving a stick, the involvement of an MT is what this kind of car is all about. The AT has its place as it's more convenient and in some cases more efficient, but there are oodles of even more efficient, more comfortable, and cheaper commuter cars if that's your priority.
On the other side of that, I got the 6AT on my FR-S and so far I'm loving it. I've put about 100 miles on it since yesterday about half in manual half in full Auto. Absolutely no regrets. Also, at 55MPH on a flat highway, the auto is cruising at 1700RPM and showing a sustained 45+ MPG on the "instant economy" reading.

Can't wait until I'm out of the break-in period to get it into those high revs.

Let me add, I understand the 6MT arguments, and I've driven and loved all sorts of cars with MT. I wanted AT for the different experience. Unless you are a diehard MT fan (such as Deslock seems to be and that is great) though, I don't think you can go wrong with the AT.

It's a personal choice. I would have been happy with either, but got the AT for a variety of reasons.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #1931
Tbxgz

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
From my experience, a lot of people choose to go with AT because learning to drive stick is more daunting than it really is. I just wish more people would try and learn so there would be a higher amount of MT cars on the market. Before the BRZ, when I was shopping for another car, it was damn near impossible to find one with the trim I wanted because they were all AT.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:16 AM   #1932
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Test drove an AT today and it is one amazing piece of tech. It shifts almost instantly, and even double-downshifts are ripped off with perfect blipping. Paddles are beautifully placed and ergonomics outstanding. Hard trail-braking while downshifting is a blast and does not unsettle the car thanks to that auto-blipping.

That said, even in full manual mode the experience is a bit too much like playing a video game for my taste, I want more involvement in the driving experience (which I got in spades driving the manual), and the opportunity to expand my skill set by learning heel-toe.

Re the GC: I test-drove a 2013 2.0 base an hour before my FR-S auto drive. The two could not be further apart in term of driver involvement and fun. The GC provided very little road feel, and felt sloppy and big even though its suspension was just about as firm as the FR-S's. Engine sounds sweet accelerating but drones at constant speeds. GC clutch is HORRIBLE, operates like an on-off switch (I stalled twice), and its gearbox is no fun either. I know it's faster, but it does not feel so subjectively, partly due to its higher seating. IP and centre stack do look and feel pretty good though. From a pure sport-driving perspective, why anyone would choose the GC over the FR-S is totally beyond me.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sport-Tech For This Useful Post:
CoryUyede (05-15-2012), Oilers99 (05-15-2012)