follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialk11r View Post
The FIA rules are honestly quite baffling sometimes...they have these beautiful flywheel systems and insanely high specific output motors that can capture ridiculous amounts of energy...and then they limit how much they're allowed to use. This is in a race setting where a hybrid system actually gives a power/weight advantage if done right.

I bet the way they set up the turbocompounding thing has to do with the rules too. With their money, they could easily do a full electric boost system.
I haven't looked to deep into the WRC rules, but the ACO/LeMans seems to have pretty favourable energy recovery rules. If the WRC goes that route, it could signal Subaru getting back on the rally horse. But I can't really picture them entering a WRX in LeMans.

I've already convinced myself that the only reason they're doing whatever they end up doing is to homologate for some racing series. Toyota's taking another crack at LeMans, and everyone would love to see Subaru back in the WRC.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #16
tranzformer
Delights in pure handling

Drives: Zoom Zoom
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Personally I think some of the aero restrictions are stupid too but I guess there are counterarguments.
The rules are dumb but I guess they help level the field between the large and small teams.
tranzformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
This is some intriguing news. I'd like to see Subaru pull this off.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 10:42 AM   #18
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I think F1 could make itself relevant to the rest of us (performance hybrids) if the stupid FIA didn't limit how much energy they can recover and use. What is the sense of that???
Quote:
The FIA rules are honestly quite baffling sometimes...they have these beautiful flywheel systems and insanely high specific output motors that can capture ridiculous amounts of energy...and then they limit how much they're allowed to use. This is in a race setting where a hybrid system actually gives a power/weight advantage if done right.

I bet the way they set up the turbocompounding thing has to do with the rules too. With their money, they could easily do a full electric boost system.

Personally I think some of the aero restrictions are stupid too but I guess there are counterarguments.
KERS and DRS are purely to enable passing, which previously was nigh on impossible due to wake turbulence reducing the downforce of the chasing car. Having unlimited KERS, while technologically topical, would take quite a bit of the strategy and excitement out of the sport (and it can't afford to lose any).

The aero rules are mainly there to keep the speeds down and the racing relatively safe. The details though are usually decided based on politics and, as such, are stupid. See the ban on ground effects for an example: That came about because Renault's turbochargers and Ferrari's flat 12 prevented those teams from having competitive aero packages when compared with the british team's N/A V8s.

When I come to power, F1 will have unlimited ground effects w/ sliding skirts, unlimited KERS, unlimited engine size/configuration/aspiration. But there will be strict limits on fuel tank size, fuel flow restrictors and no refueling as a natural limit on both downforce and power, and every year fuel tank size would be reduced by several gallons. And free snow-cones for everyone.

Quote:
I haven't looked to deep into the WRC rules, but the ACO/LeMans seems to have pretty favourable energy recovery rules. If the WRC goes that route, it could signal Subaru getting back on the rally horse. But I can't really picture them entering a WRX in LeMans.

I've already convinced myself that the only reason they're doing whatever they end up doing is to homologate for some racing series. Toyota's taking another crack at LeMans, and everyone would love to see Subaru back in the WRC.
I can't see hybrids in WRC, ever. Frequent body damage + water crossings + spectators pushing cars out of ditches + high voltage battery packs = recipe for disaster. And as for Subaru in WRC, unless they can convince the FIA to homologate a longitudinal transaxle it just ain't going to happen.

Oh, and on topic: A two seat, three door hatch WRX would be an absolute AS1 killer for me. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #19
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
The first/next comming with such turo technology are according to this article the Subaru WRX, the BMW M3 & M4 and maybe the Porsche 911 Turbo and the also the McLaren F1 could get such tech.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #20
tranzformer

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post

Oh, and on topic: A two seat, three door hatch WRX would be an absolute AS1 killer for me. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

You are dreaming. No way would SOA/Subaru consider a 2 seater as their WRX/STI. At best it would be a 2+2 and you could take the rear seat out yourself.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
yeah any future WRX is going to have to be a 2+2. It makes more sense from multiple standpoints.

I can see a separate Rally Division for Hybrid cars WRC (WRHC) or a All electric WRC (WRC-E). I cant see anything other electric tech implemented in the original WRC.

Electric turbocharger that generates electricity sounds great. I can see some people having ill reservations with the word electric turbo. Especially with people who have experience with the old types that just draw electricity to run a compressor.

Do it subaru!! So far Subaru and Mazda are the becoming the Heroes of the automobile world.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #22
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
KERS and DRS are purely to enable passing, which previously was nigh on impossible due to wake turbulence reducing the downforce of the chasing car. Having unlimited KERS, while technologically topical, would take quite a bit of the strategy and excitement out of the sport (and it can't afford to lose any).

The aero rules are mainly there to keep the speeds down and the racing relatively safe. The details though are usually decided based on politics and, as such, are stupid. See the ban on ground effects for an example: That came about because Renault's turbochargers and Ferrari's flat 12 prevented those teams from having competitive aero packages when compared with the british team's N/A V8s.

When I come to power, F1 will have unlimited ground effects w/ sliding skirts, unlimited KERS, unlimited engine size/configuration/aspiration. But there will be strict limits on fuel tank size, fuel flow restrictors and no refueling as a natural limit on both downforce and power, and every year fuel tank size would be reduced by several gallons. And free snow-cones for everyone.

I can't see hybrids in WRC, ever. Frequent body damage + water crossings + spectators pushing cars out of ditches + high voltage battery packs = recipe for disaster. And as for Subaru in WRC, unless they can convince the FIA to homologate a longitudinal transaxle it just ain't going to happen.

I thought it was either the driver or navigator's job to beat down any spectator that gets to close to the car, since they get penalized for assistance or something...

Serious note, hadn't even thought about the safety issue. They'd probably want so many giant kill-switch warning stickers that there'd be no room for sponsors.

(Would also be tempted by a 3 door WRX but Canadian pricing would kill it for me.)

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM   #23
tranzformer

Quote:

(Would also be tempted by a 3 door WRX but Canadian pricing would kill it for me.)
Drive down to WA?
Old 02-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #24
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
So Subaru said, "Toyota wont let us make the BRZ turbocharged, screw that! Let's make a 3-door WRX with some game changing technology, and make our line-up that much more better! Oh wait, people like our sedan too, ahh what the hell, make it too!"

I like you Subaru
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #25
Dark
Elite Padawan

Drives: '15 WRX, 15 GLA250, and 2 feet
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopyalien24 View Post
So Subaru said, "Toyota wont let us make the BRZ turbocharged, screw that! Let's make a 3-door WRX with some game changing technology, and make our line-up that much more better! Oh wait, people like our sedan too, ahh what the hell, make it too!"

I like you Subaru
and I like your style.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #26
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
I'd take the wrx 4dr. over the hatch without hesitation, but a 2 door is still more appealing and can't wait for what Subaru had to show off later down the line.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #27
tranzformer

http://i.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/big...wrx-this-week/

Hopefully Subaru sticks with its roots instead of going after AMG and M where they will fail.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #28
ZetaVI
Gundam Meister

Drives: A Gundam
Thanked 1,010 Times in 510 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzformer View Post
http://i.autoblog.com/2012/02/28/big...wrx-this-week/

Hopefully Subaru sticks with its roots instead of going after AMG and M where they will fail.
If they do go after AMG and M for some type of Euro-style sports car I'll be genuinely disappointed. However, I do trust they will stick to rugged rally car they do.
ZetaVI is offline   Reply With Quote