follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 PM   #1
soulstice

Drives: SWP BRZ LTD
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Manual MT Shifter Boot Swap Onto Automatic AT Shifter Assembly?

Right now, I'm currently leaning towards an automatic transmission for a number of practical reasons.

One of the things I don't particularly like on the automatic is the ugly PRND on the left of the AT shifter boot.

Now the AT and MT shifters both sit on a round base. I was wondering if it was possible to just outright cover over the PRND by using the MT boot as a cover spanning the whole area. I'm assuming there's something on the instrument panel that would indicate what gear you're in so this shouldn't be a big deal from a practicality standpoint. I know there is also a button near the top which I'm not sure what it's for but if that needs to be accessible I'm sure something can be figured out.

Anyone try this?
soulstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Sutty

Drives: Sonic Blue 86 GTS 6AT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulstice View Post
Right now, I'm currently leaning towards an automatic transmission for a number of practical reasons.

One of the things I don't particularly like on the automatic is the ugly PRND on the left of the AT shifter boot.

Now the AT and MT shifters both sit on a round base. I was wondering if it was possible to just outright cover over the PRND by using the MT boot as a cover spanning the whole area. I'm assuming there's something on the instrument panel that would indicate what gear you're in so this shouldn't be a big deal from a practicality standpoint. I know there is also a button near the top which I'm not sure what it's for but if that needs to be accessible I'm sure something can be figured out.

Anyone try this?
Not sure about boot swap over but the button is a manual override if the auto shifter locks up for some reason (i.e. fault) and should only be used in the event of an emergency. Can't see why you couldn't cover it with the boot, it wouldn't be hard to locate through the material should you need to use ut.
Sutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
soulstice

Just wanted to resurface this question since I now have a car enroute to me(ended up getting a BRZ).

Would love to see anyone who has pictures of this and how they handled the overdrive button.

If no one has done this then I might be the first to try it if I can figure out where to get the OEM boot cover.
Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just wanted to resurface this question since I now have a car enroute to me(ended up getting a BRZ).

Would love to see anyone who has pictures of this and how they handled the overdrive button.

If no one has done this then I might be the first to try it if I can figure out where to get the OEM boot cover.
I just did this swap, and it is not just a direct swap as there are a few issues.

1) The opening on the MT boot is too large for the AT. (My GF sewed a snap button in front of it to tighten it up closed)

2) The boot and the PRND piece cannot fit together on the underside of the ring where the boot screws in. This is an issue as the PRND is a controller of some sort, at least for the manual shifts from the AT lever. (I fixed this by velcroing the PRND piece under the center console in front of the cup holder section.

I can take better pictures tomorrow of all these individual things as it is too dark and my car is put back together, but I still am working on swapping the pins in the shifter to fix the manual patern. Here is an overall pic for right now

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
boucher (05-17-2013), calis5nest (06-01-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:20 AM   #5
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowblind View Post
AT trying to be a MT car.
I did it as I am "fixing" the manual shift mode to the correct pattern. That would make the PRND piece incorrectly labeled and this seemed like the cleanest solution. I don't give a rats ass if people think i drive at or mt. It my own ocd that didnt want something labeled incorrectly.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
JD213 (05-27-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
itdansharpe

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
I did it as I am "fixing" the manual shift mode to the correct pattern. That would make the PRND piece incorrectly labeled and this seemed like the cleanest solution. I don't give a rats ass if people think i drive at or mt. It my own ocd that didnt want something labeled incorrectly.
This is a very cool idea, and I for one LOVE my auto.
New: 2014 6MT Asphalt Rota Titan 17x9, RS-3 V2, Skunk2 Pro-C, Eibach Sway Bars, Password:JDM Strut Tower Bar, Perrin MCB, StopTech Stainless Lines, Hawk HP+, Nameless 3" Exhaust, VG Sharkfin, FIVE:AD Spoiler, DDM Tuning HID's 5k, HID
Old: 2013 6AT Boosted Firestorm..
itdansharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to itdansharpe For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #7
soulstice

Quote:
Exactly. I'm flipping the pattern as well so appreciate you sharing pics of what you're doing. The PRND is hideous in this car so covering up with the boot is the best option. Look forward to seeing your new pics.

What is the part number for the boot? I can't seem to fined it.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #8
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Exactly. I'm flipping the pattern as well so appreciate you sharing pics of what you're doing. The PRND is hideous in this car so covering up with the boot is the best option. Look forward to seeing your new pics.

What is the part number for the boot? I can't seem to fined it.
Sorry. Cant help with a P/N. I bought it of a local guy who gutted his interior. Though JPM Coachworks makes nice pieces that Im sure are the same if not cheaper than OEM. They are a vendor here so just check the interior classifieds.

Last edited by finch1750; 05-17-2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
boucher
Leaux Down Krewe

Drives: 2014 SSM Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Leave the MT>AT BS elsewhere. I like this idea, as I did it on my AUTO Acura RSX a few years ago. I never acted like it was a 5sp or implied that it wasn't an auto. It did, however, make the interior a lot more aesthetically pleasing. Props to the auto guys who do this mod.
boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boucher For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (05-17-2013), Minovsky (05-18-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
soulstice

Any update pics on what you did with the prnd?

Quote:
I just did this swap, and it is not just a direct swap as there are a few issues.

1) The opening on the MT boot is too large for the AT. (My GF sewed a snap button in front of it to tighten it up closed)

2) The boot and the PRND piece cannot fit together on the underside of the ring where the boot screws in. This is an issue as the PRND is a controller of some sort, at least for the manual shifts from the AT lever. (I fixed this by velcroing the PRND piece under the center console in front of the cup holder section.

I can take better pictures tomorrow of all these individual things as it is too dark and my car is put back together, but I still am working on swapping the pins in the shifter to fix the manual patern. Here is an overall pic for right now

The Following User Says Thank You to soulstice For This Useful Post:
ramiram1984 (06-20-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
I got stuck messing with swapping the wiring and haven't gone back since I didn't have a tool small enough it seems. Gonna buy some screw drivers this week and take another go at it. I'll snap pics prob Wednesday or Thursday

Old 06-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
Ok, well I went to work on this Thursday and the velcro melted off due to the heat here (I should have known better.) I may end up just like wrapping the piece in foam for protection and leaving it in the cavity loose. My real worry was rattling/damage so just being loose shouldnt be too big of an issue I think.

Old 06-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #13
soulstice

Quote:
Ok, well I went to work on this Thursday and the velcro melted off due to the heat here (I should have known better.) I may end up just like wrapping the piece in foam for protection and leaving it in the cavity loose. My real worry was rattling/damage so just being loose shouldnt be too big of an issue I think.
I'm getting a manual boot sent to me in the next couple of days. I'll try this out one of these weekends and post what I end up doing if I figure something clever out. Hard to say until I get under there and see what's going on.

Last edited by soulstice; 06-01-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Quote:
I'm getting a manual boot sent to me in the next couple of days. I'll try this out one of these weekends and post what I end up doing I figure something clever out. Hard to say until I get under there and see what's going on.
Yeah. I've been looking at it trying to figure something out. I may try timming the leather and dremeling the hole in the PRND piece a bit bigger to see if it can't fit somehow. I'll post updates when and can and check back. One of us should be able to figure out a clean solution.