follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013GTRNate View Post
Congratulations on the car! I hope that my son grows to be as appreciative as you are when he gets to be your age! Be safe and enjoy it every second…

-Nate
Thank you! I learned how to be appreciative towards cars from my dad. Assuming you’re a car enthusiast because you’re on these forums I’m sure there is a higher chance your son will be just like you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete156 View Post
Congrats!

Pic request: you and your dad with the car in the background outside
Thanks! We still haven’t taken a picture with it together but I’ll be sure to put it up here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitz View Post
Curious, did the dealer make you sign a waiver that states the dealer would not be responsible for any shipping damage to the body, since you did not remove the plastic wrap?
Nope there was no waiver, we just requested to leave it on with no detail, just a PDI. The mechanic didn’t even drive it, he let my dad drive it into the service bay. 17 Years with this dealership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotichoax View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to buy a car like this and never drive it. It's a waste but that's just my opinion of course.
If it was never driven, it would still have 5 miles on the odometer. It won't be "a waste" in 15-20 years.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
2013GTRNate (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 07:04 PM   #16
nonicname
Banned

Drives: it has 4 wheels and a motor
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaotichoax View Post
It makes absolutely no sense to buy a car like this and never drive it. It's a waste but that's just my opinion of course.
I agree. I would do this if I had tons of money.
I would still purchase one to abuse and one to keep stock and untouched for years to come.
there is an article about this guy in Japan who bought one and NEVER drove it, it's brand new with all the palstic on it. it has 40 miles YES fourty miles.
I can't find the article but it's pretty crazy!
nonicname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry if I'm being completely clueless here, but how old are you exactly?
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
SupraLove
Banned

Oh, and I'd suggest driving it more. Just because a car has a lot of miles on it doesn't mean it's not going to reliable down the road -- you just need to take good care of it, and judging by your first post, it seems like you are!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #19
Veloist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonicname View Post
I agree. I would do this if I had tons of money.
I would still purchase one to abuse and one to keep stock and untouched for years to come.
there is an article about this guy in Japan who bought one and NEVER drove it, it's brand new with all the palstic on it. it has 40 miles YES fourty miles.
I can't find the article but it's pretty crazy!
48km actually! http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/08/...time_capsule_/

@SupraLove Yes I try my best to take care of all of my family's cars. Our highest mileage car is my 6year-old car which has 74.4k miles followed by our 10-year old one with 37k miles. I'm 19 years old and if I was fortunate enough then I would have my own FR-S to drive daily, yet it would still have low miles because I don't drive around too much since everything is close by my house!

It might have to do with the background of my dad's side. He grew up in a provincial part of the Philippines so this like a luxury already. His older brother...my uncle...also did this to his 2002 Celica GT and bought a Nissan Sentra so the Celica would be driven less. I probably picked the behavior up from them even though I grew up in US.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #20
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Its good to see the younger generation excited about cars, regardless of the model.
We all have our special cars in our life. While the FR-S was not mine, I understand the attachment.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
In 10 years ill have 410,000 miles on mine...
You "say" you wont drive it.... lol...
The only way NOT to drive an FRS/BRZ/GT86 is to buy another one and then store it...
I drive for no reason all the time, i know all the corners that are easy to drift within 5 miles of my house already lol...

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #22
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
In 10 years ill have 410,000 miles on mine...
You "say" you wont drive it.... lol...
The only way NOT to drive an FRS/BRZ/GT86 is to buy another one and then store it...
I drive for no reason all the time, i know all the corners that are easy to drift within 5 miles of my house already lol...
Damn you are beating me. I'll only be at the quarter million mark in 10 years.

OP: Cool story, father and son projects are cool enjoy them while you both are able to!
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:00 PM   #23
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Damn you are beating me. I'll only be at the quarter million mark in 10 years.

OP: Cool story, father and son projects are cool enjoy them while you both are able to!
yeah OP father son projects are def awesome, I'm currently building a 1973 Celica for my son to drive when he gets old enough, hes currently 3 so i got some time lol.... tundra v8 supercharged transplant anyone?

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
Guff (11-13-2012), Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #24
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
Drifter

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Garage
Send a message via MSN to SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
After reading the first post I instantly wanted to hang myself, good job doing basic shit to a car you plan on never driving, sounds to me like you shoulda bough a boat
SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR For This Useful Post:
Surok (11-13-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I'm trying to really understand the main factor behind this.

I don't mean to cause offense, but what is the point of this? Not driving a car so in maybe...30 years you can post on the internet that you have a completely mint and never driven FRS? I don't think you understand how great it is to drive this car, i take this car out for driving when i don't even need to go anywhere, i make up excuses to myself just so i drive this car. I'll go to the market 5 times a week just so i can drive this car more, even though i can in one day and get all the items i need.

This idea seems pretty pointless, it is like dating an absolutely beautiful and gorgeous woman and never having sex with her. She offers all of her body to you, but yet...you deny her?

This is something i will ponder about...because i can not see how doing this can appeal to anyone, unless the car itself was truly a one of a kind that does not a "number" to it.

I know how us "Americans" have a firm belief that people should be allowed to do whatever they want with their money, but sometimes...it just doesn't seem right in this case...

Yet again i do apologize if i offend.
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dem00n For This Useful Post:
JonnyRocket (11-15-2012), SupraLove (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 07:56 PM   #26
SupraLove
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
48km actually! http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/08/...time_capsule_/

@SupraLove Yes I try my best to take care of all of my family's cars. Our highest mileage car is my 6year-old car which has 74.4k miles followed by our 10-year old one with 37k miles. I'm 19 years old and if I was fortunate enough then I would have my own FR-S to drive daily, yet it would still have low miles because I don't drive around too much since everything is close by my house!

It might have to do with the background of my dad's side. He grew up in a provincial part of the Philippines so this like a luxury already. His older brother...my uncle...also did this to his 2002 Celica GT and bought a Nissan Sentra so the Celica would be driven less. I probably picked the behavior up from them even though I grew up in US.
I still don't get it. What is the point of purchasing a car that has the sole purpose of providing an extremely great driving experience, only for you to never drive it? It seems like blasphemy. I'd imagine you would do this sort of ultra-low-mileage use to something like a really expensive Pagani or Ferrari, but a 25K mass-produced Toyota? The whole point of a car is to be a transportation device, not a collector's item, unless it's really expensive. It's a sports car. It is meant to be driven to the fullest. Miles mean NOTHING in a car with a rock-solid badge on the front like Toyota.

Sorry if I'm being a bit rude, but this is just too OCD for me to handle. This kind of behavior unsettles me... Sorry.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
ZmZMWagon

Drives: MS3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im freakin jealous......I can't get an FRS/BRZ right now because I couldnt wait.... yet here you have one of the classics in your garage and you just want to stare at it and detail it?

Drive the car as much as you can! I'm not sure what you will accomplish with having low miles in 29 years........
ZmZMWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:16 AM   #28
Veloist

@SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
@dem00n
@SupraLove
@ZmZMWagon

Hey all, none of you are being rude and I understand we all have opinions so I wanted to clear some things up so maybe it's not so meaningless.

Currently my dad is the only one who is driving stick shift in the family and I am in the process of learning. He doesn't want me on the insurance yet since I don't drive stick....plus it's expensive so he's waiting 6 months to see it changing. He doesn't want me learning on it since it's hard to replace parts right now.

He also works around 60-72 hours a week and gets home in the night and he is too tired to drive it. He doesn't want it being shown at work and plus cars get pretty dirty there since it's surrounded by trees. He drives it on his day off when it does not rain. He does not use it in the rain because we'd prefer not to use newer cars in the rain. Plus this one is our favorite

When I drive the car, the mileage will shoot up, trust me. I'm not going to drive it to school, but really for fun during my free time or when I have to pick someone up from school or work. I'm going to try to go to the NorCal meets and everything as well. I just made that list of calculations just because I wanted to play around the numbers to see how ridiculously low it's going to be, and I was influenced because I saw a thread on the S2000 forum having to do with Low Mileage S2000's! It's more crazy over there!

I'm also an avid cyclist who does bike races (without drugs) so for 10-12 hours a week (13-15 in the Spring and Summer) I'm training and on weekends I race. That being said, I've already designated cycling as my primary hobby and driving comes second.

So why did we buy this car? It's because we wanted it! We've been waiting too just like I stated in my original post. And we want to keep this car for a long time because we think it's a great part of history for Toyota, and my dad's been with Toyota for 17 years.

I didn't want to say this because of all the criticism, but because it's just a forum I'll say it anyways!

One of my ultimate goal after going to college and getting a secure job is to buy the FR-S from my dad at his asking price. I understand that there will be newer cars but a new car cannot replace the attachment that grows on you while you're growing up. Therefore, when I mention that to my dad he always says stuff like "It will be waiting" and it seems to make him laugh.

I once met a man who was selling a super pristine 1st Gen '86 MR2 with 89k miles who says that he had his own in High School and regretted selling it so he had to buy another one but it still didn't feel the same which is why he ended up selling it.

I don't want to live with a regret like that especially with my favorite car, the FR-S. Sure the drive is a great feeling, but knowing that there's one in your garage that's ready to roll out and take you out on an adventure is good enough for my dad and I, and knowing that someday it will be mine through hard work is even better.

Last edited by Veloist; 11-13-2012 at 01:41 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
PMok (11-13-2012), SPEEDGOD (11-13-2012), SupraLove (11-13-2012)