follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-09-2012, 09:47 AM   #43
TheSt|G

Drives: BRZ L 6MT, 128i 6MT, E39 M5, E36 M3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetMagi View Post
I disagree, and before you also call out my grounding, I'd point out that in addition to the FR-S, I also own a 2011 Audi S4. The S4, while no R8 or "proper" RWD BMW M, is still an amazing car both in numbers and track times.

But you know what. . . I test drove an FR-S, and my S4 is for sale, with only 7k on the clock, because it's about 50% the fun and "sports car" the FR-S is. You can drive the S4 at the limit all day long and it screams back "big deal" at you. It doesn't engage you, it spoils you. I don't want to be spoiled. I want to be challenged. The S4 challenged me at first, but it wore off quickly. The car drove itself. . even with the nannies off (sport diff and center diff torque-vector)

The moment I sit in the FR-S, I immediately feel connected. I feel like the car was setup for "me" to drive it. Not fiddle with the stereo, not call someone cuz I'm bored of driving, just drive. The car somehow manages to make even just driving down my alley at 5mph "fun". I don't even care why. Maybe there's a mind control device, maybe the dealerships brainwash you when you buy it. . The car captures all the things that make driving great for the people that actually like driving.

I could buy more than 2 FR-S's for what the S4 cost me, but at the end of the day, even if money meant nothing, I'd still take the FR-S.

This car was engineered with "zero f__k's" given about what the jones's were doing. They questioned what actually makes driving fun, and gave us a car that checked as many boxes as possible while keeping it affordable.

Rock on Toyota.

-Rich H.
All very good stuff, but none of that relates to what I said.

Econobox as a term has nothing to do with driving engagement or fun or performance figures. It's for describing build materials, kit, and options. And you don't need to sell me on the BRZ/FRS/GT86 coming from the Germans, look at my car history.
BMW E39 M5 6MT
BMW E36 M3 5MT
TheSt|G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheSt|G For This Useful Post:
Orthow (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #44
dale.m
Captain Slow

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I love the Initial D comparison. They should do a new season featuring the GT86.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:17 PM   #45
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty86 View Post
Manual costs USD $35394 without any options (lowest baseline model)
I don't know what they complain about in the video then, my car is costing me $38,000USD or near that.
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #46
Orthow
Banned

Drives: 99' SIR Kswapped Racer/Showcar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ft86Fan View Post
I'm getting tired of people complaining about the interior. Its that bad? Really? And the face this guy makes when he talks about the interior. Looks like he wants to puke. I for one loves the interior. It fits perfectly with the sportiness of this car.
To answer your question - Yes, there is a reason why you KEEP hearing about this. Probably the first major change for the 2014 models as a result.

This is my main gripe with the car. At least the BRZ stepped it up but still feels like an econobox interior all around. There is hope though, JPM Coachworks has been redoing interiors on these cars and they look amazing. And if you're into DIY - I've redone my entire interiors in Alcantara ($100/yd material) and while costly, it sure changes the feel and class of the car.

As per the Vid - I'd have to agree with the majority stated.
Orthow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #47
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post
To answer your question - Yes, there is a reason why you KEEP hearing about this. Probably the first major change for the 2014 models as a result.

This is my main gripe with the car. At least the BRZ stepped it up but still feels like an econobox interior all around. There is hope though, JPM Coachworks has been redoing interiors on these cars and they look amazing. And if you're into DIY - I've redone my entire interiors in Alcantara ($100/yd material) and while costly, it sure changes the feel and class of the car.

it is a fucking econbox.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to czar07 For This Useful Post:
TheSt|G (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM   #48
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Oppa Gangnam style?
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:43 PM   #49
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I would define an econobox: 1. shaped like a box. 2. cheap interior ... yes on the FRS. 3. costs between 10K-15K. 4. No real power. 5. Biggest hint that it is an econobox: HUBCAPS.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #50
steeloyangster

Drives: 14' FRS 6MT; 16' WRX 6MT
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by travace View Post
i like hearing the opinions of people from all over... i disagree wtih his view on the interior tho. yea its not top of the line or anything but its far from bad. I bet if he sat in a dodge magnum(what i came out of) then got in the 86 he wouldnt be saying its the worst
Yeah, I really don't understand all of the gripes coming about the interior. I guess it's also because of the base price of where it starts. At 25K I guess they expect better materials or something. I bought a 2003 Eclipse GTS brand new for 25k in 2002 and the interior materials are still not as good as the FRS. If taken into account inflation the Eclipse is still way more expensive. The only thing I do not care for are the knobs for the climate control. I prefer the BRZ Limited or JDM GT86 knobs.
steeloyangster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steeloyangster For This Useful Post:
travace (11-09-2012)
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #51
Akuma

Drives: 2006 Civic
This video is so hype with Initial D music blasting on the background!!
Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #52
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czar07 View Post
it is a fucking econbox.
Not really, econboxes don't have chassis specially designed for cornering.
Econboxes msotly share major and minor parts from other cars.
Econboxes don't have high compression engines made for high revving.
Nor do they look good.
Or inspire a whole array of body kits, turbo kits, SC kits and other array of parts made for a car...

Just sayin...
dem00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #53
frosty86

Drives: '13 FR-S (Whiteout) Manual
Definition for econobox:
Web definitions:
An econobox is a US slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel-efficient car with few luxuries and a low sticker price..
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

frs/brz doesn't fit the 'boxy' term
if this body style is 'boxy', then all porsche vehicles should be considered box cars.

With that said, I'll just leave this here.
frosty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frosty86 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #54
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orthow View Post

Different priorities, if a "nicer" interior meant losing a performance part like the LSD then no thank you.
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #55
so26

Drives: Raven FR-S 6MT
There are only 3 real issues with the car: the CEL issue, the HPFP noise issue and the rear deck noise issue. Otherwise, I hope Toyota/Scion/Subaru don't change a thing for 2014. Of course, those are real problems and the manufacturers wouldn't want reviewers (like Top Gear) to mention them and if they did it would provide little in terms of entertainment value (insert eye roll).
so26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:25 AM   #56
czar07

Drives: '97 RSP JZZ30 GT-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty86 View Post
Definition for econobox:
Web definitions:
An econobox is a US slang term for any of a series of small, boxy, fuel-efficient car with few luxuries and a low sticker price..
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

frs/brz doesn't fit the 'boxy' term
if this body style is 'boxy', then all porsche vehicles should be considered box cars.

With that said, I'll just leave this here.
So FRS/BRZ/86 are small, fuel-efficient (somewhat), basic (no luxuries a corolla would have more) and has a low sticker price. just because it isnt boxy doesnt mean it isnt an econbox.

Germans>Japanese>Italians>Americans. Unless its a Corvette.
czar07 is offline   Reply With Quote