follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
stealth1

Drives: f150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
A FR-S with star spec is about as fast as a (fill in the blank)_____ at the track?

I've been reading up on this car and everyone has good things to say. But I want to know how fast a stock FR-S is with good tires compared to other stock cars with comparable tires? Whats a comparable car? Are the laptimes comparable to a miata? An S2000? A WRX? etc... Is it one of the slowest cars around the track or does it do decent compared to the average trackday cars? Does it get any respect at the track or would I be the guy getting in everyones way?
stealth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Sccabrz192
Detroit Region, MI

Drives: 13 BRZ, 13 Volt, 02 WRX
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
!
Sccabrz192 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sccabrz192 For This Useful Post:
Surok (10-21-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 PM   #3
enigma

Drives: Asphalt 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
I've been reading up on this car and everyone has good things to say. But I want to know how fast a stock FR-S is with good tires compared to other stock cars with comparable tires? Whats a comparable car? Are the laptimes comparable to a miata? An S2000? A WRX? etc... Is it one of the slowest cars around the track or does it do decent compared to the average trackday cars? Does it get any respect at the track or would I be the guy getting in everyones way?
I've never felt like track days were about "respect," myself. If you're out there giving it the good old college try and are listening to instructor's feedback and working to improve, it doesn't really matter what you're driving imho.

As far as getting in the way... if you learn to drive the thing, I highly doubt you'll be anyone's pylon.
enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:12 PM   #4
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
FRS/BRZ is quite a capable car even with just EHP tires and track brake pads/fluid. You can refer to the videos we posted at www.youtube.com/counterspacegarage
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #5
bugeye_fever

Drives: 02 WRX, 09 Mini Cooper, BRZ pending
OP, whats your skill level? Have you been to a track day before? If you go to a track day and pay attention to the rules, listen to your instructor, and pay attention to the other cars when your out on track, you'll get respect regardless of the car your driving.
bugeye_fever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bugeye_fever For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-15-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:57 PM   #6
stealth1

All my car racing has been in the dirt, baja 500 baja 1000 etc. Never been to a trackday but I am thinking about buying this car and occasionally doing a track day for fun. Since I ve never been to a track day and know very little about trackdays, I thought it would be good to ask what level this car is at before I go out and buy one and find out it's not what I expected.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
stealth1

Thanks for the videos and and feedback, maybe I used the wrong wording. Instead of saying, does this car get any respect, I should have said, does this car do miata laptimes or better? I've been reading this forum and all the posts are positive, at this point from what I've read, I think this is the perfect car for me. I just want to make sure that I'm not expecting too much. If the laptimes are somewhere between a miata and s2000 I'll be happy.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Mark Slide Squad

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S 6MT, S14 Kouki
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth1 View Post
Thanks for the videos and and feedback, maybe I used the wrong wording. Instead of saying, does this car get any respect, I should have said, does this car do miata laptimes or better? I've been reading this forum and all the posts are positive, at this point from what I've read, I think this is the perfect car for me. I just want to make sure that I'm not expecting too much. If the laptimes are somewhere between a miata and s2000 I'll be happy.
To simply answer your question, I did a track day several weeks ago in a bone stock FR-S and I was keeping up with a modified S2000, and I was faster than a Miata. But as previously mentioned, the driver is a factor in the car too. The track is a big factor as well. If it's a high speed track, the S2000 will have a slight advantage with it's power. On a tight, slow course, the lightweight and short wheelbase Miata will probably have the upper hand. I recently picked up some 17x9 +35 Enkei RPF1's and I plan on putting some Dunlop Direzza Star Specs on it and expect to knock at least 4 seconds off my lap time, which would be lapping faster than the modified S2000 that I ran against. Driver's actual results may vary The stock tires don't hold up on the track that well at all if you are driving all out. All four tires were chunking. If you want to track your car, I highly suggest better tires, track brake pads, and some "crash bolts" that will give you some more negative camber in front so that the sidewall of the tire doesn't roll so much and get destroyed, and it will improve turn-in and reduce understeer.
Mark Slide Squad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 02:31 PM   #9
SOneThreeCoupe

Drives: 1992 Nissan 240SX
From what I've read and what Emilio @ 949 Racing and momofoolio on TrackHQ have said, the FR-S can run with S2000s in the corners.

That said, I would recommend crash bolts before you go out on track; the stock camber settings will destroy your tread shoulders.

Edit: Mark beat me to it, but might as well reiterate.

PS- If you're planning on driving Horsethief or Streets of Willow, PM me and I can give you some pointers on line as well as links to some of my videos.
SOneThreeCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
No car quite has the specs of a FRS, but it slots in right between the (NC) miata and s2k.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
icemang17

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
this is a highly subjective ?? since the driver accounts for about 98% of a cars performance on a road course..... I am a novice racer and my conservative lap times at my home track put me near the back of the pack in a spec miata race.....but thats bone stock with the crap tires.....I think on Star Specs I could put down a decent mid pack spec miata time.....

My best lap at Thunderhill is a 2:18 over the top.....Spec miatas can turn 2:08, but those are the very best cars and drivers.... I think I could get my FRS into the low 2:10 range pretty easy on better tires....
icemang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
celica73

Drives: '13 BRZ / '11 Outback / '06 Tundra
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I'd say on a shorter/tighter track it is about as fast as a similarly equipped Miata. On a track with longer straights, the BRZ's aero advantage should make a difference.

The BRZ isn't a fast car on the race track, I've had mine there and while it was brilliant in the corners, it felt like I could have gotten out and run faster on the straights.

The consumables are pretty cheap, and if it turns out to be reliable then it will be a great track car.
celica73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Thanked 14,179 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Here's my feedback; I drive the CSG BRZ, and own a s2k as my personal car. I also have a lot of miata friends, and have a decent amount of seat time in miatas of various levels of prep.

First off, a few assumptions:
- For the sake of discussin in this specific post, we are assuming that all cars have drivers of equal skill.
- A spec miata is slightly slower than a S2k on square street (255 RS3) tires, roughly 2-4 seconds depending on track. No other mods on the S2k.
- The NC is the fastest "stock" miata. The NC is generally 2-6 seconds slower than a spec miata on square street tires (255 RS3)

Now, contrary to popular belief, my testing with the BRZ has shown that the BRZ actually excels in the mid to high speed tracks. The BRZ's aerodynamics really shine, allowing the car to pick up faster than it's 200hp would convey, and the car is exceptionally stable at speed.

I actually believe the BRZ's biggest weakness (on stock suspension) is low speed, tight tracks. With the combination of understeer (suspension tuning from the factory), inability to force rotation with the rear (when driven at the limit of tire grip), and relatively low power, the BRZ struggles with tracks where the majority of turns are under 60 mph. You have to just manage the understeer and carefully decide if you want to power out of a turn or minimize distance traveled, or maximize entry speed.

The FR-S, is a bit more neutral handling, but still understeers at the limit of grip. However, unlike the BRZ, you can readily upset the balance of the car, and put the FRS into oversteer mode, whereas sudden/rough input or trail braking, or clutch kicks won't do anything to the BRZ's understeer unless you upset the car so much that you're going WAY slower than you should.

Here are my relative rankings; FRS is not included as I don't have enough seat time to accurately gauge the car. Remember, this is strictly my opinion:

Stock S2k vs stock BRZ vs Stock NC Miata (stock everything, including tires)
High speed track: S2k >>>> BRZ >>>> Miata
Low speed track: S2k >>>>>> BRZ >> Miata

Modded: (intake, exhaust, ECU tune, cheap coilovers, wheels, street tires)
High speed track: S2k >> BRZ >>>> Miata
Low speed track: S2k > BRZ >>> Miata

Track modded (speculation on the BRZ): (full bolt-ons, r-comps, good coilovers, splitter, wing)
High speed track: BRZ > S2k >>>> Miata
Low speed track: S2k = BRZ >> Miata

Unlimited budget builds (100% speculation on my part):
High speed track: BRZ >>>> S2k >>>> Miata
Low speed track: S2k = BRZ >> Miata
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #14
stealth1

Now thats what I was looking for. Someone who has actually tracked the car giving an honest opinion about how the car does compared to other similar cars. Great info, exactly what I was looking for. Thanks, keep the posts going, I really appreciate everyone taking the time to respond. I'm learning alot.