follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2017, 05:15 AM   #1
whipcream

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Subwoofer Amp question

Hey guys im kind of a noob when it comes to audio. I wanted to purchase a sub and be able to install on my own. Any suggestions? I'm thinking on whether I want a 10" or a 12" sub. Thanks.
whipcream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 AM   #2
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipcream View Post
Hey guys im kind of a noob when it comes to audio. I wanted to purchase a sub and be able to install on my own. Any suggestions? I'm thinking on whether I want a 10" or a 12" sub. Thanks.
Do you have any electronics or wiring background at all? What type of music do you listen to? Do you want good sound or just to be that guy that you can hear coming from a mile away? We need more details.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I learned to wire it myself and everything is clean. The firewall/wiring is pretty easy.

I have a 10 inch enclosed and it makes me happy.

You need a couple of things mainly a sub wiring kit, amp, sub, maybe a line out converter.

I have a JL right now but when I was shopping I heard good things about sundown and soundqubed brands.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:05 AM   #4
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
It all depends how much money and loud you want to get. Also how much space do you want to give up.

If all you want is good cheap sound, Walmart has all your needs. Pretty much under $200

You can either get an all in one unit or mix and match. Today's audio gear are far better they had 10 years ago, so you really can't go wrong with even Walmart stuff.

There are plenty of YouTube vids out there to help with the installation.
Pretty much you can do it all in 2-3 hours with beer in one hand.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:20 AM   #5
CraigVM

Drives: Car Collector
What is your budget

I think before you can get any really constructive answers, your allowed budget needs to be known. That and if your running a OEM Head Unit or if it has an aftermarket installed as that will effect how easy of a DIY project it would be. As already mentioned, there are countless videos showing what is involved in installing a simple amp / sub combo. After watching a few, you will get an idea if it is something within your ability to do.
CraigVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 05:36 AM   #6
whipcream

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Do you have any electronics or wiring background at all? What type of music do you listen to? Do you want good sound or just to be that guy that you can hear coming from a mile away? We need more details.
Honestly, no i do not. I definitely do not want to be that guy that can be heard a mile away lol. But i listen to a lot of rap, hip hop, edm
Old 10-22-2017, 05:39 AM   #7
whipcream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
It all depends how much money and loud you want to get. Also how much space do you want to give up.

If all you want is good cheap sound, Walmart has all your needs. Pretty much under $200

You can either get an all in one unit or mix and match. Today's audio gear are far better they had 10 years ago, so you really can't go wrong with even Walmart stuff.

There are plenty of YouTube vids out there to help with the installation.
Pretty much you can do it all in 2-3 hours with beer in one hand.
I was willing to spend about $500 which was quoted to me back when i checked out a couple audio shops. But it seems like it may be something i can do myself so spending $200-$400 would be ideal for me. I do want to continue using my stock head unit.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:41 AM   #8
whipcream

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaR86 View Post
I learned to wire it myself and everything is clean. The firewall/wiring is pretty easy.

I have a 10 inch enclosed and it makes me happy.

You need a couple of things mainly a sub wiring kit, amp, sub, maybe a line out converter.

I have a JL right now but when I was shopping I heard good things about sundown and soundqubed brands.
I have been told my workers at the audio shops to get a 12" but i have seen a lot of people on the forums getting 10" when it comes to a BRZ. Is 10" a perfect combo with the BRZ given its size?
Old 10-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #9
YamahaR86
JDM Vaping Stance Nation

Drives: 2013 White
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I have been told my workers at the audio shops to get a 12" but i have seen a lot of people on the forums getting 10" when it comes to a BRZ. Is 10" a perfect combo with the BRZ given its size?
Of course they're going to try and tell you to get the biggest and loudest because it's "better" right? Kind of like why not get a faster car than the brz/frs??

My 10 inch is perfect for me and what I'm looking for. Especially on the rare occasion I have to put my seat down, slide the sub in to carry other stuff in the car.

Without the sub it feels like something is missing. So my suggestion is my setup. A 10" sub, replace the stock speakers, an amp to power the speakers and sub and sound damp the car.

I also went ahead and replaced my head unit since I wanted more customization for the levels and the stock unit wasn't cutting it for me.

I consider myself a beginner and not audiophile at all.