follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-03-2015, 07:25 PM   #15
travisb

Drives: N/A
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I went to a local shop and had them check the sensor. They say the sensor itself is fine. However, they pulled a bunch of codes and said to head to the dealership.

Code - U0073 Description - Control Module Communication Bus "A" Off

CODE - C1201 ENGINE CONTROL SYSTEM MALFUNCTION

CODE - C1333 OPERATOR IN LEFT REAR SPEED SENSOR

CODE - C1467 LEFT REAR SPEED SENSOR

I'll be heading to the dealership first thing tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
travisb

Garage
Here's an update.
I took the car to the dealership Monday morning. They cleared the codes and drove it around for a few miles and said it was good as new since the codes did not come back on. They did not understand why the codes kept coming back immediately for me and Firestone. That costs $110.

I pickup the car that afternoon and about 15 minutes later I notice the ABS kicking in every time I slow down. Then the lights all come back on. I headed back to the dealership.

On Tuesday they take the hub off and say that they think something is wrong with the tone ring inside the wheel hub / wheel bearing. They want $185 for the new hub assembly then almost $500 more for labor for a total of $650.

I could not believe they wanted that much for labor. They already had the hub off. All the had to do was put the new one on. Instead I told them to put the old one back on. He still had to do the exact same amount of work either way!

I picked up the car and stopped by the parts department to buy the wheel hub assembly for $185. I planned on waiting until Friday when I had some time to install it.

However, on Wednesday morning all the error lights turned off. The car drove normal and was not in limp mode anymore.

It is Friday now and I just returned the wheel hub I bought. The lights are still off and the car seems just fine.

I am guessing that somehow the technician must have installed things slightly different when putting everything back on. And now the sensor is sensing the tone ring correctly.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #17
15limited

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
CEL P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

A picture from the inside of the knuckle with hub installed, this seems to look right unless the sensor ring is push too far in or out on the axle shaft causing a false reading?
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps

Last edited by 15limited; 10-21-2017 at 10:35 PM.
15limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:20 AM   #18
darkbluemn

Drives: Brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I had exactly the same issue. The 3 lights went on and randomly disappeared after start up. This happened for like 3 days and I had a shop check for me. However, at that time there is no speed sensor available in US. I ended up with getting my car back, but it just went normal after getting home. I drove it for like a week without any issue, but the issue went back later tonight.

Do you still have the issue? Or the issue was resolved by itself without changing any part?

Best,
Bill
darkbluemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:15 PM   #19
15limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post
Hi,

I had exactly the same issue. The 3 lights went on and randomly disappeared after start up. This happened for like 3 days and I had a shop check for me. However, at that time there is no speed sensor available in US. I ended up with getting my car back, but it just went normal after getting home. I drove it for like a week without any issue, but the issue went back later tonight.

Do you still have the issue? Or the issue was resolved by itself without changing any part?

Best,
Bill
I have yet to resolve the issue with my car, however as in your case and the majority of members in this thread it has not been intermittent.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
Perrin Transmission Bolt, Drift Button,Intake Tube, Radiator Hoses, Engine Mounts, Gurney Flap Diode Dynamics Always On Module OLM 3k HID Foglights GCS Smoked Side Markers Motul Gear 300/300 V OE Acantara arm rest Password JDM Dry Carbon rear diffuser Rally Armour Mud flaps H.I.C side & rear visor Gruppe-S UEL header/OP HKS Front Pipe Leg Sport Cat Back Koyorad aluminum radiator Wheelhaus CF low pro 3rd brake light Toms JDM Clear Tail Lamps
Old 02-05-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
darkbluemn

Drives: Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb View Post
Here's an update.
I took the car to the dealership Monday morning. They cleared the codes and drove it around for a few miles and said it was good as new since the codes did not come back on. They did not understand why the codes kept coming back immediately for me and Firestone. That costs $110.

I pickup the car that afternoon and about 15 minutes later I notice the ABS kicking in every time I slow down. Then the lights all come back on. I headed back to the dealership.

On Tuesday they take the hub off and say that they think something is wrong with the tone ring inside the wheel hub / wheel bearing. They want $185 for the new hub assembly then almost $500 more for labor for a total of $650.

I could not believe they wanted that much for labor. They already had the hub off. All the had to do was put the new one on. Instead I told them to put the old one back on. He still had to do the exact same amount of work either way!

I picked up the car and stopped by the parts department to buy the wheel hub assembly for $185. I planned on waiting until Friday when I had some time to install it.

However, on Wednesday morning all the error lights turned off. The car drove normal and was not in limp mode anymore.

It is Friday now and I just returned the wheel hub I bought. The lights are still off and the car seems just fine.

I am guessing that somehow the technician must have installed things slightly different when putting everything back on. And now the sensor is sensing the tone ring correctly.
So the issue never came back? In my case it comes back after a few miles drive and disappear occasionally.
darkbluemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #21
travisb

Garage
It's been a couple years and it never happened again for me.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #22
15limited

Ended up being a misaligned tone ring for me

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2018, 07:40 PM   #23
Josael86

Drives: 2014 scion frs
Exclamation P0500

I am experiencing a similar problem ... my car is in limp mode after i installed some subwoofers and ichecked the code which was a p0500 and i did a diagnostic test and it said right rear wheel speed sensor short so i replaced the sensor and nothing happened everything is still the same .. some please help me !
Josael86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM   #24
thomasmryan

Drives: hyper blue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
try a new sensor. the bearing is what the sensor picks up.
thomasmryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #25
fungus

Drives: '13 Subaru BRZ ST; '88 MR2 AW11 SC
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Great thread; Got the same P0500 code after installing extended studs. the Mechanic chipped the tip of the original sensor; i wonder if he warped the tone ring as well. I replaced two new but 'used' sensors from cars without the code issue but no luck, code came back

I suspect mine is a tone ring misalignment as well; code only kicks in when cruising 130km/hr+, 125 when its moist outside.

Going to bet on a dis-assemble and re-assemble before I decide to replace the hub. Did anyone end up buying the ring '28437FG000'? how much was it?
fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
15limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by fungus View Post
Great thread; Got the same P0500 code after installing extended studs. the Mechanic chipped the tip of the original sensor; i wonder if he warped the tone ring as well. I replaced two new but 'used' sensors from cars without the code issue but no luck, code came back

I suspect mine is a tone ring misalignment as well; code only kicks in when cruising 130km/hr+, 125 when its moist outside.

Going to bet on a dis-assemble and re-assemble before I decide to replace the hub. Did anyone end up buying the ring '28437FG000'? how much was it?
The rings are exceptionally cheap, $10-15 iirc. I decided to replaced them myself however couldn't find any information online as to how set them, so I guessed. Dealer ended up replaced the whole bearing with ring pre installed and that did the trick. Bearing assembly i believe was north of $130 for the part alone.

The Following User Says Thank You to 15limited For This Useful Post:
fungus (03-15-2018)
Old 03-15-2018, 08:42 PM   #27
15limited

Subwoofer mounted in the truck I would have to assume? That's where the connection to the wheel speed sensor is located for either side, id check the connection of the plugs or pinched wires.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #28
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Wow. It has been a long time for this thread. The reluctor is that same item-8 of the exploded view in post-5. It sits outboard of the wheel speed sensor. Therefore, the wheel speed sensor must be removed before separating the axle from the hub.

edit: see below. I've been wrong about this.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 11-05-2019 at 02:06 PM.
Ultramaroon is online now   Reply With Quote