follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-27-2017, 08:02 PM   #29
VeganGirl

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Yep, were all past blaming the kits for blowing engines that already have toilet paper rods. Im at 400whp on e85 and im reallly.... playing with fire/wallet. But thats a different story.

The real topic that we need to start for VeganGirl is... how can we help you out and get the car up and running again, better, faster and stronger! That wont push any buttons and would be beneficial to all parties.

Damn @Kris86 already got my bank account smaller due to his engine build. Kind of got my own thing about to start that will give me a HUGE peace of mind very soon.

Ill have some spare rods and pistons that are good soon.
Car is already back up and running.
Had an engine replacement done and put it back to stock.

I am a full believer that everyone takes a chance with a super charger. But still people do it. My boyfriend is not willing to take that chance anymore hence selling his SC kit to help pay for the engine replacement.

He is selling the old engine also for 500$ to the shop that did the replacement for us.
VeganGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VeganGirl For This Useful Post:
guybo (02-28-2017)
Old 02-27-2017, 08:27 PM   #30
Psilox

Drives: Nothing yet!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Glad it's back up and running! Honestly the Rotrex kits (from what I've read) are very very reliable, so I don't see how it would be a problem selling it as long as people know the history.

How do you like your edelbrock as a daily driver? Extra power helpful/nice/fun for just scooting around town?
Psilox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #31
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganGirl View Post

I am a full believer that everyone takes a chance with a super charger. But still people do it. My boyfriend is not willing to take that chance anymore hence selling his SC kit to help pay for the engine replacement.

He is selling the old engine also for 500$ to the shop that did the replacement for us.
How come you guys didnt just take off the SC and then try to get Toyota to replace it under warranty? The issue you mentioned can happen whether or not there is a SC kit on the car.

Glad you guys are back up and running however the pricing you mentioned for the engine build just seems massive. There are a lot of reputable companies building short block for about 3-4k so i'm surprised they quoted you 5-8k.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
How come you guys didnt just take off the SC and then try to get Toyota to replace it under warranty? The issue you mentioned can happen whether or not there is a SC kit on the car.
Because it sounds to me like they are honest people. It amazes me how people have these major engine problems at low miles and find all kinds of ways to blame everything EXCEPT the forced induction. I think they realize that there's a damn good reason why the powertrain warranty is voided when you add a supercharger to an engine not designed for it.

You want the extra power? You want to do the mod? If you can't pay, don't play.
guybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to guybo For This Useful Post:
Psilox (02-28-2017), Tcoat (02-28-2017), Yoda (02-28-2017)
Old 02-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #33
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybo View Post
Because it sounds to me like they are honest people. It amazes me how people have these major engine problems at low miles and find all kinds of ways to blame everything EXCEPT the forced induction. I think they realize that there's a damn good reason why the powertrain warranty is voided when you add a supercharger to an engine not designed for it.

You want the extra power? You want to do the mod? If you can't pay, don't play.
Oh dont get me wrong i dont disagree with you. As a person paying to play its a risk i'm willing to take as well. However at the same time i think its worth a shot. I can understand not wanting to do it because you dont want to be dishonest or something...but at the same time how honest do you think dealerships and companies are with us? Now i dont blame companies for that at all (they are in the business of making as much money as possible afterall) however us as customers are in the business of saving as much money. I dont see anything wrong with attempting that. If it fails you are in the same boat as if you didnt attempt it. And if it succeeds then you are better off.

Remember Warranties technically cant be voided, but they can be denied. If the OP actually wanted to fight it and prove to Toyota that the issue wasnt caused by the SC (who knows maybe?) then it wouldnt matter if the SC was on there or not. It was premature engine failure.

Again. I dont disagree with you. But i think its a worthwhile path to attempt given the situation.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Old 02-28-2017, 08:08 PM   #34
VeganGirl

Quote:
Oh dont get me wrong i dont disagree with you. As a person paying to play its a risk i'm willing to take as well. However at the same time i think its worth a shot. I can understand not wanting to do it because you dont want to be dishonest or something...but at the same time how honest do you think dealerships and companies are with us? Now i dont blame companies for that at all (they are in the business of making as much money as possible afterall) however us as customers are in the business of saving as much money. I dont see anything wrong with attempting that. If it fails you are in the same boat as if you didnt attempt it. And if it succeeds then you are better off.

Remember Warranties technically cant be voided, but they can be denied. If the OP actually wanted to fight it and prove to Toyota that the issue wasnt caused by the SC (who knows maybe?) then it wouldnt matter if the SC was on there or not. It was premature engine failure.

Again. I dont disagree with you. But i think its a worthwhile path to attempt given the situation.
Well the car wouldnt turn on at all and we are not mechanically inclined people. We thought about this but to take the super charger off would have been 1100$ at the shop we went to and then tune it back to stock another 600$. We didn't want to take that chance that it would be denied and then pay after that to have the engine swap done. When they did the engine swap they essentially took the super charger out for only an extra 200$ rather than 1100$.

We had to have the car towed 4 times and his car pretty much sits on the ground and he has a very expensive authentic RB kit professionally installed that we just shelled 13k a few months ago for, they ended up cracking the bumper in 2 places from towing it so it was just a big fiasco that we didnt want to deal with towing it all over the place more than we needed to since it couldnt drive.

Plus boyfriend was just done with everything and wanted to be back up and running as soon as possible regardless of what caused it. He didnt feel like waiting to see if they would take the warranty, also it would have been like a 2 week wait to take it to the dealer for that(they are always backed up as heck)

When it comes to forced induction if you dont have an extra 5k set aside incase something like this happens then good luck. With engine, shipping, and labor we payed a little under 5k. We had the money so it wasnt an issue, but I cant imagine someone going forced induction and not having like an emergency fund. Dont play if you cant pay is correct.

As for myself and my edelbrock, I love it But thinking of trading in for a focus RS honestly. I feel like the amount of power I have is awesome but still find myself wanting more but im unwilling to do anything else on this stock engine. Also e85 is EXTREMELY out of the way for me. For now its just my daily I dont track it or anything.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 AM   #35
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Well the car wouldnt turn on at all and we are not mechanically inclined people. We thought about this but to take the super charger off would have been 1100$ at the shop we went to and then tune it back to stock another 600$. We didn't want to take that chance that it would be denied and then pay after that to have the engine swap done. When they did the engine swap they essentially took the super charger out for only an extra 200$ rather than 1100$.

We had to have the car towed 4 times and his car pretty much sits on the ground and he has a very expensive authentic RB kit professionally installed that we just shelled 13k a few months ago for, they ended up cracking the bumper in 2 places from towing it so it was just a big fiasco that we didnt want to deal with towing it all over the place more than we needed to since it couldnt drive.

Plus boyfriend was just done with everything and wanted to be back up and running as soon as possible regardless of what caused it. He didnt feel like waiting to see if they would take the warranty, also it would have been like a 2 week wait to take it to the dealer for that(they are always backed up as heck)

When it comes to forced induction if you dont have an extra 5k set aside incase something like this happens then good luck. With engine, shipping, and labor we payed a little under 5k. We had the money so it wasnt an issue, but I cant imagine someone going forced induction and not having like an emergency fund. Dont play if you cant pay is correct.

As for myself and my edelbrock, I love it But thinking of trading in for a focus RS honestly. I feel like the amount of power I have is awesome but still find myself wanting more but im unwilling to do anything else on this stock engine. Also e85 is EXTREMELY out of the way for me. For now its just my daily I dont track it or anything.
Yeah i totally understand. Sometimes when i want something fixed i'll take the shortest way there with least risk.

What blows my mind though is how expensive it seems like this is for you. The removal cost i can understand...but why are they charging 600$ to flash you back to stock? That makes no sense. They arent doing any custom work and it's not their tune...its the stock one...so that should be free. Also 13k for a Widebody also seems way too much. There are professional installers in my area doing high quality work for about 3k max. So 5k including body kit. Then again maybe body kit installers are harder to come by in your area so whoever is there is dominating the market and can charge whatever they want.

All in all i'm glad you guys are back on the road.

And dont go for the RS. TBH while they seem like great cars (i wanted one as well) they dont hold their value and you can get SO MUCH more out of a cheaper Subaru STi.

On paper they have comparable specs and the STi will actually hold its value. Not to mention you are buying a reliable car model which mechanics will have a very easy time working on. I love my Fiesta ST (my daily) but because it's a Ford, these cars are a pain in the ass to work on in comparison. You end up paying more just because labor takes so much longer.

Also theres hardly any aftermarket for the Focus RS, in case you wanted to Mod.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:09 PM   #36
GsxrMe

Drives: Late 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
RS seating position and ford thing kills it for me. The STI old ej block kills it for me also. The new WRX sport package, e85 tune seems beneficial, thats 380-400 to the wheels.
FBM Turbokit: GTX3076R - ECUTEK HRI FlexFuel tune - FBM 3" Turboback Exhaust - 550cc Injectors - Walbro 485 Fuel Pump - 4bar Map Sensor - FBM Oil Pan - ACT SB7-XTSS - AMSOIL all fluids - Forester XT Oil Cooler - Cusco engine, trans mounts - Whiteline rear differential bushings - Perrin shifter bushing - Firehawk 235/45/17 - AEM Failsafe
GsxrMe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GsxrMe For This Useful Post:
tCsonfrs (03-11-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 06:43 PM   #37
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
And dont go for the RS.
I see how it is... Haters gonna hate...lol

Joking aside, I kinda agree. I got my RS more out of necessity. For daily driving "fun"? I'd still go with my Edelbrock BRZ, hard to beat light weight RWD.

Also @VeganGirl don't expect to get any better gas mileage. I'm driving like a grandma and barely eeking out 22 mpg
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #38
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
I see how it is... Haters gonna hate...lol

Joking aside, I kinda agree. I got my RS more out of necessity. For daily driving "fun"? I'd still go with my Edelbrock BRZ, hard to beat light weight RWD.

Also @VeganGirl don't expect to get any better gas mileage. I'm driving like a grandma and barely eeking out 22 mpg
Hahah baited!

But honestly i wanted one for a while and then realized i'd be better off waiting till 2020 and hope the WRX comes in a hatchback again.

RS is a great car dont get me wrong. But if you are looking for a car that can push more power it's too much money for not as much fun and not as reliable. Just get a WRX and e85 tune it with an intake and you'll be in RS territory and spent A LOT less.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:04 PM   #39
VeganGirl

Quote:
Hahah baited!

But honestly i wanted one for a while and then realized i'd be better off waiting till 2020 and hope the WRX comes in a hatchback again.

RS is a great car dont get me wrong. But if you are looking for a car that can push more power it's too much money for not as much fun and not as reliable. Just get a WRX and e85 tune it with an intake and you'll be in RS territory and spent A LOT less.
Yea I'm already at 73k miles on my car tho, and super charged, feel like if I push it anymore then that's when bad things happen. E85 little to far for my liking. My car is not my hobby or lifestyle so I'm not willing to drive 20 min for e85 when I have a shell with 93 right next to my house. Maybe I need to test drive the RS. I was so set on getting an RC 350 and then after test driving I was so disappointed and so glad I didn't spend 45k on that lol. Sooo underwhelming. Maybe test driving the RS will make me happier with my car that there's not much better out there in the under 45kish range
Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 AM   #40
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GsxrMe View Post
Yep, were all past blaming the kits for blowing engines that already have toilet paper rods. Im at 400whp on e85 and im reallly.... playing with fire/wallet. But thats a different story.

The real topic that we need to start for VeganGirl is... how can we help you out and get the car up and running again, better, faster and stronger! That wont push any buttons and would be beneficial to all parties.

Damn @Kris86 already got my bank account smaller due to his engine build. Kind of got my own thing about to start that will give me a HUGE peace of mind very soon.

Ill have some spare rods and pistons that are good soon.

On the reliability note, do you reckon rods + pistons with a SC kit and good tune will = good reliability?
Old 03-05-2017, 06:35 AM   #41
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
An oil catch can is not mandatory. Only if the fuel quality is not good, the tune is prone to knock or in general you push a lot the car.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:54 AM   #42
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Yea I'm already at 73k miles on my car tho, and super charged, feel like if I push it anymore then that's when bad things happen. E85 little to far for my liking. My car is not my hobby or lifestyle so I'm not willing to drive 20 min for e85 when I have a shell with 93 right next to my house. Maybe I need to test drive the RS. I was so set on getting an RC 350 and then after test driving I was so disappointed and so glad I didn't spend 45k on that lol. Sooo underwhelming. Maybe test driving the RS will make me happier with my car that there's not much better out there in the under 45kish range
Yeah definitely do a test drive. Dont get me wrong they are a blast and the power is really nice. But for me the BRZ even stock is more fun than that car.