follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #2255
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzajuve View Post
Right I understand that power wont be gained when it is off, but it basically replaces the inlet tube. So when it is off is it still inhaling air into the throttle body but doesn't provide boost/power?
The first time you drive with the system Armed (turned on) you will quickly realize that you'll never drive the car with the system disabled again.

Now with that said, when the system is Armed but not engaged or if the system is left off (disabled), the turbine in the compressor does free-wheel, so it is not a blockage in the air intake. Under high load (Armed, but not engaged) the free spinning compressor wheel can not keep up with air demand, so the ESC controller will pulse the ESC so the compressor blades are not a restriction in the air intake. If the system is disabled and the vehicle is under heavy load, the free-wheeling compressor blade will be a restriction in the intake. Once again, this would not be a "normal" condition as Armed becomes the normal condition.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary in NJ For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-17-2013), forzajuve (10-17-2013), Sojhinn (10-17-2013)
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #2256
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Drives: Limited Red 6MT BRZ
Thanked 1,167 Times in 644 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Full throttle Electric Supercharger Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
The first time you drive with the system Armed (turned on) you will quickly realize that you'll never drive the car with the system disabled again.

Now with that said, when the system is Armed but not engaged or if the system is left off (disabled), the turbine in the compressor does free-wheel, so it is not a blockage in the air intake. Under high load (Armed, but not engaged) the free spinning compressor wheel can not keep up with air demand, so the ESC controller will pulse the ESC so the compressor blades are not a restriction in the air intake. If the system is disabled and the vehicle is under heavy load, the free-wheeling compressor blade will be a restriction in the intake. Once again, this would not be a "normal" condition as Armed becomes the normal condition.
Sure explain it all technically and make me seem like an idiot. If the smiley face didn't make it obvious I was joking around.

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel

Last edited by Sojhinn; 10-17-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Sojhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sojhinn For This Useful Post:
forzajuve (10-17-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 12:55 AM   #2257
SKELLINGTON

Drives: 2013 CBS BRZ LIMITED
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Is anybody else impatiently waiting on the new dynos and whatnot?
SKELLINGTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #2258
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Update

Yesterday was definitely a fact finding kind of day. We did get the car on the dyno and we did get better numbers but we didnt have enough time to really figure out or fine tune the TQ300(4.5kw). This unit has more boost down low and that was causing havoc for the MAF sensor.... when the MAF sensor is getting hell you end up having a hard time nailing down AFR's.

At the end of the day we ended up with 10.x AFR in the dip and 12.5 AFR on the top end and that was the best we could do with the limited time we had. I would be interested to know what Bob @Drift-Office did to get the AFR's more stable in the high load area(<3k). Although we did beat our record torque number we could have done so much better if we had better AFR's. Toma was also getting very frustrated because some of the changes he made didnt take affect like he would have expected or the changes would happen a couple runs later. All in all it was a very weird experience with BRZedit yesterday. You will also see our last runs with the old compressor and old boost curve in the third post. It is worth mentioning that when we got to Toma's dyno we were at about 200whp with the 4.5kw compressor before tuning.

On to the results ~207hp(6800rpm) and 190tq(4200rpm)
Largest gain was at 4250rpm with a 70% gain.

ref. fig1

Stock = 91hp / 112tq
TQ300 = 155hp / 190tq

BOOST COMPARISON - 3.5kw vs 4.5kw charger. 4.5kw charger needs more tuning and less restriction in the exhaust to really shine!

What we need is more time to get the most out of the obvious extra boost we are making. Its also worth noting that we are seeing the limits of the stock exhaust over 7000rpm. Both @Thatruth2001 and @Bu-Tang are able to hold their peak power alot better than i am with stock everything.

ref. fig3
Next lets talk about DR. My car has the most aggressive version of DR. DR's intention is to look for a loss in power due to high vacuum and equalize that with a pulse of the compressor. The fact of the matter is DR is not used in the way we used it today, you would never go with DR only all the way to redline. DR give you a nice shot of boost to get you going down low.

With that said here are the DR results with both stock and charger disabled on the same graph. Its plain to see from the graph that it does work, and works well especially at the top end. Yes there is some oscillation however Rob is now working on turning up the frequency/sample rate. Driving in the car you cant even feel these humps of power it just feels like you have more power. My main point is to make it clear to everyone that this doesn't feel like you are in the 80's headbanging your way to school to rock music.

Last edited by fenton; 10-18-2013 at 02:02 PM.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
autobrz (10-18-2013), DAEMANO (10-18-2013), dnavas (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 09:30 AM   #2259
fenton

fig1:

fig2:

fig3:

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited by fenton; 10-18-2013 at 10:27 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #2260
CBR600RR

Drives: Raven Black
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
@fenton

It is hard to tell from your post which graph you are talking about.

could you number the maps and number your comments please?
CBR600RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 10:27 AM   #2261
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
Update

Yesterday was definitely a fact finding kind of day. We did get the car on the dyno and we did get better numbers but we didnt have enough time to really figure out or fine tune the TQ300(4.5kw). This unit has more boost down low and that was causing havoc for the MAF sensor.... when the MAF sensor is getting hell you end up having a hard time nailing down AFR's.

What did Rob say about the whole situation?

Installed Mods:
Phantom Electric Super Charger | Open Flash Tune | Perrin OP/ HFC Front pipe | Invidia Q300 catback | ST Suspension | JDL Header | Flex Fuel
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #2262
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR600RR View Post
@fenton

It is hard to tell from your post which graph you are talking about.

could you number the maps and number your comments please?
Sorry i wrote the post on my computer and loaded from the phone. I have updated both posts.

Moral of the story is.... if you want the 4.5kw unit you really need exhaust to help it breath
Old 10-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #2263
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Sorry i wrote the post on my computer and loaded from the phone. I have updated both posts.

Moral of the story is.... if you want the 4.5kw unit you really need exhaust to help it breath
I wonder if its the overpipe or the cat. Seems to me that the overpipe is whats constricting flow. Would be nice to test that.

Installed Mods:
Old 10-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #2264
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojhinn View Post
What did Rob say about the whole situation?
Well toma did't think it was a false reading because of swirling air, the MAF values were very constant, they were also just very high.

The stock car is very efficient at 2500 to 3300 rpm before the torque dip, once you add boost there you end up with very high load and very high MAF values which makes tuning quite hard.

Toma needs a good couple days to really nail down whats going on and how to best tune it. It goes against everything that you normally see. High efficiency to low efficiency to high again.
The Following User Says Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
Sojhinn (10-18-2013)
Old 10-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #2265
Thatruth2001

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quote:

This is one of the specific reasons (future development) I decided to start the process of upgrading to a full 3" exhaust system.

Do you think the stock system is starting to become a restriction? Also is this a system that is best suited for people who have completes exhaust upgrades?
Thatruth2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM   #2266
SloS14

Drives: 2013 FR-S whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
So, what's the deal with variable boost? It would be awesome if this thing had it's own MAP sensor and was able to take a signal (or voltage) to try and reach/maintain a target pressure.

That way, someone could come along with necessary ECU code to send that info along to the ESC controller.

Nobody needs 10psi at 800rpm
SloS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2267
Sojhinn
Lightning McQueen Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatruth2001 View Post
This is one of the specific reasons (future development) I decided to start the process of upgrading to a full 3" exhaust system.

Do you think the stock system is starting to become a restriction? Also is this a system that is best suited for people who have completes exhaust upgrades?
What mods do you have on your exhaust thatruth?

Installed Mods:
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #2268
fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloS14 View Post
So, what's the deal with variable boost? It would be awesome if this thing had it's own MAP sensor and was able to take a signal (or voltage) to try and reach/maintain a target pressure.

That way, someone could come along with necessary ECU code to send that info along to the ESC controller.

Nobody needs 10psi at 800rpm
Thats just a function of how it works. It turns on 100 percent to match and then shuts off.

There is no way to do it variably.

Rob is looking to increase the sample rate and frequency.

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive