follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2017, 01:28 PM   #1
halleffect

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Series.Hyperblue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Milltek exhaust welds

I really like the way that the Milltek exhaust sounds and the way their exhaust tips look, but I am aware from reading some older threads that they have had issues with some of their welds, in particular at the backbox.

Since those threads were pretty old, I am wondering, does anyone know whether the Milltek exhaust still has these issues or have they fixed them?
halleffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #2
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I have one and currently have a torn weld at the midpipe to frontpipe flange but its only due to me scraping my driveway every single day. The rest has held solid so I do believe they fixed the issues. A local place also clearanced out a bunch of bad weld units for cheap and restocked also leading me to believe it was resolved.

It sounds great and I love it either way. I got a deal so paying a couple bucks to fix a weld isnt a big deal

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
halleffect (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 06:23 AM   #3
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Milltek are popular in the UK so there is quite a lot of information on this exhaust. In short the issue isn't fixed, the latest design revision uses a flexi joint between the back box and mid pipe, however turns out the welds still fail this. I'd avoid the Milltek and go for something of better quality.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Varelco For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (02-08-2017)
Old 02-08-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
Milltek are popular in the UK so there is quite a lot of information on this exhaust. In short the issue isn't fixed, the latest design revision uses a flexi joint between the back box and mid pipe, however turns out the welds still fail this. I'd avoid the Milltek and go for something of better quality.
If thats the case and you arent getting a deal on it go with Perrin. Most similar imo

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:15 AM   #5
halleffect

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ Series.Hyperblue
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for the info. It's unfortunate that they never really solved the weld problem. I guess it might be an inherent flaw in their design to have the pipe connect to the back of the backbox rather than the side.

The Perrin is nice, though I recently discovered the Corsa exhaust and absolutely love its deep, gurgly sound. I think I'm leaning more towards the Corsa at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
halleffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:52 AM   #6
Varelco

Drives: '15 GT86 & '22 GR86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
If thats the case and you arent getting a deal on it go with Perrin. Most similar imo
I have one funnily enough I try preaching to the other owners but there isn't much love for the Perrin. They are missing out, although its a pretty expensive option here in the UK.

OP I was stuck between the Perrin and the Corsa, both sound awesome, I ended up with a Perrin as one come up for sale second hand. If you plan on any further exhaust mods it would be future proofing yourself with the Perrin as its quieter. Id imagine the corsa would get real loud with other exhaust mods.
Varelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varelco View Post
I have one funnily enough I try preaching to the other owners but there isn't much love for the Perrin. They are missing out, although its a pretty expensive option here in the UK.

OP I was stuck between the Perrin and the Corsa, both sound awesome, I ended up with a Perrin as one come up for sale second hand. If you plan on any further exhaust mods it would be future proofing yourself with the Perrin as its quieter. Id imagine the corsa would get real loud with other exhaust mods.
I have the Corsa exhaust paird with gruppe-s header/OP and stock FP. That up is annoyingly loud... BUT once thats over the car sounds simply amazing... I honestly get non stop compliments from people at AutoX and sometimes random strangers on the road driving next to me.

Here is a video from my instagram... hopefully it works...

EDIT: Didnt work... Search Tinma88 on instagram and I have a video on their of me driving during autox. It's the 10th latest post (spectator video)
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote