follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #71
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mines13 View Post
Blah, blah. huff. puff... Just because it does not meet your personal criteria for excellence, it does not make your opinion any more right for choosing not to buy it and others wrong for choosing to buy it. Because we chose to buy the car, it does not mean we are buying "hype", we see the performance/dollar ratio as adequate.
+1.

I could agree to some extent that folks were "buying the hype" if there were negative reviews and folks were still buying the car for some reason. But that just isn't the case.

I was 80% before driving the car, I'm totally on board after. Trust me I'm way too cheap to spend 26 large on a car that is all hype.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 04-13-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #72
blur
ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ

Drives: E36 5.7 V8
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaX 07 View Post
So here is what we have determined this car is NOT...
This car is not "affordable" as it was once meant to be.
Yea? Show me another FR sports car that costs LESS than $24,200 while having a 6 speed, and LSD.
This car is not fast, and not considered a "drag car" so being slow is OK.
Duh, it's part of the "affordable" plan...
This is not a drift car, so let it go.
Any FR car can drift, and there are tons of reviewers that have drifted this car. Where are you getting this from?
The back seat can fit toddlers at best.
WTF did you expect, the other FR cars in it's weight range don't even have back seats!
The trunk can probably fit your backpack AND your duffle bag!
And with the seats down you can clearly fit a set of wheels, a jack and tools.
The car gets worse MPG than a 505hp Z06 Corvette that weighs 600 pounds more.
"For reference, the car's EPA fuel economy ratings are: 15 mpg (US) city / 24 mpg (US) highway / 18 mpg (US) combined"
How is that better than the FR-S?

You're really making a bad name for Accord owners.
titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #73
russv
First 86

Drives: Scion FRS Argento Automatic
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blur View Post
Yea? Show me another FR sports car that costs LESS than $24,200 while having a 6 speed, and LSD.
Any FR car can drift, and there are tons of reviewers that have drifted this car. Where are you getting this from?
WTF did you expect, the other FR cars in it's weight range don't even have back seats!
"For reference, the car's EPA fuel economy ratings are: 15 mpg (US) city / 24 mpg (US) highway / 18 mpg (US) combined"

+1

Life is short...NO BORING CARS
russv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
blur (04-13-2012), titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:04 PM   #74
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
I was saying this from the get go. The numbers just don't add up, and there isn't any video of the car truly drifting. It won't be a drift car out of the box.

However...the 86 BADGE on the fender implies that the car is in a drift.

The sad fact is that it is underpowered, heavier, and more expensive than what most of us have hoped for. People are still giving into the hype and not wanting to face the truth about the true performance capabilities of this car. The same people settling for the 200hp probably would have settled for 100hp if Toybaru said that's all the car needs to be a performance machine. We must think for ourselves and not blindly agree with anything the manufacturers put in our faces telling us this is all we need.

I am a fan of the FR-S/BRZ, but I will not buy one for it to be a race car. If I was it would only be as a daily driver, a replacement of the 7th gen fwd Celica. But even then I can not justify the purchase, as it is priced too high for what you get.
just wait until you drive it. The car is priced the way it is because it is QUALITY built. It will run much better and have less if no problems than its competition.. Mustang, camaros and genesis coupes all have major problems.. Fr s they took their time and built it right and it shows. It is also FANFUCKINGTASTIC to drive. I cant wait until i can drive it again and thats how it will be owning one.

While all the other carmakers are playing the "lets see who can get the most power for the least amount of money" game, toyobaru decided to make a quality, reliable, focus on fun and a passion for driving car and it will show in the coming years
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #75
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by titusdrake View Post
a corvette doesn't get 25 MPG LOL...troll
Actually a C5 z06 can achieve 28MPG highway, just do a little bit of research. I know that's difficult for a Toyobaru fanboy but it's very simple.

I love how everybody on this forum who has a hard on for the FR-S/BRZ calls everybody who says something negative (but true) about the cars, a troll. I guess troll is your term for "guy who speaks truths about cars I love".
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #76
russv
First 86

Quote:
Actually a C5 z06 can achieve 28MPG highway, just do a little bit of research. I know that's difficult for a Toyobaru fanboy but it's very simple.

I love how everybody on this forum who has a hard on for the FR-S/BRZ calls everybody who says something negative (but true) about the cars, a troll. I guess troll is your term for "guy who speaks truths about cars I love".
Unless you have driven the FRS you can't really make an educated and reasonable negative comment. Perhaps you should be on a Corvette forum instead.

The Following User Says Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #77
shaX 07

Quote:

Oh so sorry man. It is the c5 Z06 Corvette that achieves 28 MPG highway, my bad bro.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/142226.html

I know that car ONLY has 405hp so yeah a weak ass 200hp car getting a whole 2MPG better is truly awesome.

Oh wait, the z06 doesn't require premium, and it runs high 12's in the quarter mile

A bad name for Accord owners? First of, an Accord owner is a pointless term. I own an accord because I needed a sub $4k beater car to drive while I gear up to buy a better car in the future. An accord just happened to be the best one I could find at the time, so i'm not an Accord enthusiast.

And a bad name because why exactly? Because I speak truths you don't want to hear?

This car is expensive for what you get, it's slow, it apparently is a shitty drift car according to the article from the original post in this thread, it gets lousy MPG, requires premium fuel for an NA motor..

Oh but it handles really well.

Why not just buy a car that's capable in all of those other areas and slap on some coilovers? I just don't understand why so many people have a hard on for this car. This car isn't at all what they originally said it would be (that is if you had followed it since the first concept appeared).
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 PM   #78
shaX 07

Quote:
Right, and the 86 can likely achieve 40+ on the highway in high gear EASILY. What makes you think that IRL a 505hp v8 will achieve better fuel economy than a 4 cyl boxer? Is there ANY logic behind that statement?
Dude are you high? The car is rated at 30MPG, why the hell would it be able to achieve 40 MPG? I'm sure the EPA conducted this test the same way they do the rest-- They drive on the flattest, straightest highway, skipping gears 3 and 5 when shifting and setting the cruise control to 50mph and not stopping until the tank is empty.

And under those conditions apparently the car achieved 30 MPG, which is lousy for a slow 200hp NA car that requires Premium fuel.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #79
shaX 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Unless you have driven the FRS you can't really make an educated and reasonable negative comment. Perhaps you should be on a Corvette forum instead.
I suppose I Should drive one before I make a Final judgement, however I can't imagine at all that the suspension/handling being the only high point of the car would be enough to make me really want it. I desire more in a car than good handling.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:21 PM   #80
russv
First 86

Quote:
Oh so sorry man. It is the c5 Z06 Corvette that achieves 28 MPG highway, my bad bro.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...18/142226.html

I know that car ONLY has 405hp so yeah a weak ass 200hp car getting a whole 2MPG better is truly awesome.

Oh wait, the z06 doesn't require premium, and it runs high 12's in the quarter mile

A bad name for Accord owners? First of, an Accord owner is a pointless term. I own an accord because I needed a sub $4k beater car to drive while I gear up to buy a better car in the future. An accord just happened to be the best one I could find at the time, so i'm not an Accord enthusiast.

And a bad name because why exactly? Because I speak truths you don't want to hear?

This car is expensive for what you get, it's slow, it apparently is a shitty drift car according to the article from the original post in this thread, it gets lousy MPG, requires premium fuel for an NA motor..

Oh but it handles really well.

Why not just buy a car that's capable in all of those other areas and slap on some coilovers? I just don't understand why so many people have a hard on for this car. This car isn't at all what they originally said it would be (that is if you had followed it since the first concept appeared).
Drive it and you Will understand

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to russv For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-13-2012), titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 PM   #81
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
The sad fact is that it is underpowered, heavier, and more expensive than what most of us have hoped for.
It's funny how people think this car has somehow changed over time. The reality is that the specs are exactly what they were supposed to be when the first rumors came out. Here's an article from 2009:

http://wot.motortrend.com/rumored-to...ej20-4617.html

They list the specs as
Engine: Subaru 2.0L EJ20 direct-injected gasoline flat-four cylinder
Power: Around 200 hp
Transmission: six-speed manual
Length: 165.4 in.
Width: 68.9 in
Height: 51.2 in
Wheelbase: 97.2 in
Weight: 2645.5 lbs
Price: Around $20,000

Those are all basically spot on, except the price which is really not something they can control. Those of us who have been following this car from the very beginning got exactly what we were expecting. I don't really understand where the people who are disappointed in the final numbers got their high expectations from.

Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers.
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Spaceywilly For This Useful Post:
titusdrake (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #82
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Quote:

A corvette will reach 24 if on freeway cruise control on 65. Which is not what you buy a corvette for. In the same situation a fr s/brz will achieve 35 mpg. News flash, this is a fr-s/brz forum, we post here because we like the car. Saying a vette gets comparable gas mileage is foolish, the fr s while romping around town will easily get 24-25 a REALISTIC mpg figure for the vette is 14-17
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #83
shaX 07

Quote:
Originally Posted by russv View Post
Drive it and you Will understand
What's really funny about this statement is that nobody who makes it has driven the car either, so how do you know it drives oh so amazing when you haven't even driven it yourself?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #84
Rabble

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quit feeding the trolls.

If you don't think the car is worth the money, don't buy it.
Rabble is offline   Reply With Quote