follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-13-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Subaru BRZ and Toyota GT86 twins: not the drifter everyone says they are

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Communi...e-cars-of-now/

"Here’s the rub: the BRZ/GT86 isn’t very sideways. Yes, if you pull the handbrake or give it a big Scandinavian Flick on the track the thing will adopt the kind of angles usually fleetingly glimpsed by WRC spectators just before Jari-Matti Latvala plummets off a cliff face, but then so would a Kia Picanto.

The BRZ/GT86 is a brilliant thing to drive, but it has very little power, which means you need to drive it absolutely flat out and throw it around in a way that’s often impossible out on the road, simply because you can’t see what’s coming round the next bend and therefore can’t commit to the accelerator – just like that old AE86. Ironically, it actually takes a whole heap of skill and years of experience to unlock the potential of a car that we’ve been told is perfect for rear-drive novices.

So here’s what’s going to happen: said hot hatchers will pick the car up from the dealership, turn all the traction control off and go for a blast. They’ll drive it as hard as they dare, swinging it through corners and stamping on the gas, chucking it into hairpins and willfully trying to unsettle the rear, and all the while traction will be total. And you know what, not one of those drivers will say anything about it, because they’ll be too scared to be the limp-wristed bloke that can’t even drift what they’ve been told is the most driftable car in decades.

Great car, that BRZ/GT86, and it’s a safe way to learn the basics of rear-wheel drive, but be warned: it won’t turn you into an overnight drift sensation."

Now, I know some of you will say, "Nobody said this will be a good drift car as stock." But it has certainly been implied and desired to be by many. I don't really care but I do think that a little more torque would have made this car that much more popular and fun.
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #2
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
That is good news. It may save some crumpled fenders and maybe even a few lives.
Rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Kiwi

Drives: Volkswagen Golf GTI
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Has Toyota or Subaru actually say that this car is the best drift car for decades and is perfect for novice drifters? Or was it just hype because of Toyota's use of the term 86 for marketing purposes?

If I remember correctly, Toyota and Subaru say that the main point of this car is to allow the driver to truly enjoy the excitement of driving without intervention from excessive weight or computers.
Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I don't remember anybody (Toyota/Subaru) saying it is a drift car. Even Chris Harris said it is not that easy, as say an M5 or M3. I on the contrary am glad, as I am more interested in grip than drift.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
See this is what I am talking about. The media, not Toyota/Subaru said anything about it being a drift machine. The media overhype this car because it was something they haven't driven in a while since the 90's. And also I like how this guy addresses the issue of corners on the open road. I can see a lot of FRS/BRZ ending up in the junkyard for parts soon.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:43 AM   #6
Brett
First 86

Drives: Whiteout MT FR-S
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
See this is what I am talking about. The media, not Toyota/Subaru said anything about it being a drift machine. The media overhype this car because it was something they haven't driven in a while since the 90's. And also I like how this guy addresses the issue of corners on the open road. I can see a lot of FRS/BRZ ending up in the junkyard for parts soon.
They don't come out and say it, but the front of their brochures show the car drifting. The three draft commercials that we saw at Scion HQ last weekend also show the car drifting.

Personally, I'm interested in staying planted on the road, so this is good news for me.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:58 AM   #7
TheRoadWarrior
Much damage?

Drives: Renaultsport Clio200
It's an interestingly written article, on the face of it seems quite negative but they're not really saying anything we didn't already know.

Toyota are not going to release a car in 2012 that goes sideways everywhere when Mr J. Average drives down to the shops.
If this is a shock to anyone then they've over-estimate the skill level of the general driving public by a large margin.

What the GT86 is (Judging by reviewers who I trust) is a well balanced, modestly powerful rear drive sports car that when provoked correctly will drift. That's also what the article says, but it doesn't really come across that way on first read.
TheRoadWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #8
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I'm actually happy to read this article. I prefer grip driving so that's fine if it takes extra effort to get it sideways.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #9
Genomaxter

Drives: 2013 firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Every car commercial with any kind of sport car has drifting in it. You see it all the time. The gt86/brz/frs is no different. Why the hell complain about this now? Sounds like somebody is just looking for something to nit-pick.
Genomaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genomaxter View Post
Every car commercial with any kind of sport car has drifting in it. You see it all the time. The gt86/brz/frs is no different. Why the hell complain about this now? Sounds like somebody is just looking for something to nit-pick.
Yep, I just saw an ad for the Caddy CTS-V Wagon where the entire add was talking about the fact that it had a G meter and the video of it was it drifting. I'm willing to bet the one used in the ad is the ONLY one that ever gets the least bit sideways on purpose.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
Sport-Tech

Drives: TBD
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
When you watch the footage of journos driving the car around you can see they are able to break the rear end out a bit on a regular basis, and we are not always talking pro-level drivers with that crowd. But that action is not on the scale of drifting.
Sport-Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #12
Draco-REX
Corner Junkie

Drives: 13 BRZ, 11 STI, 99 RS
Thanked 1,520 Times in 702 Posts
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
The AE86 was not a tail-happy chassis either. It took some skill and finesse to really drift it. That's one reason why it has such a reputation, not because just anyone could hop in and drive it slideways.
Draco-REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #13
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The BRZ/GT86 is a brilliant thing to drive, but it has very little power, which means you need to drive it absolutely flat out and throw it around in a way that’s often impossible out on the road, simply because you can’t see what’s coming round the next bend and therefore can’t commit to the accelerator – just like that old AE86. Ironically, it actually takes a whole heap of skill and years of experience to unlock the potential of a car that we’ve been told is perfect for rear-drive novices.
This. And hence why I have great respect for the men and women out there who drift the AE86; it ain't like getting in a Mustang and goin' at it sideways! It takes this thing called..... SKILL.

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:17 AM   #14
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Love the way this car has evolved.... Lets take you on a journey through time. Once upon a time...

2 Years ago......
"The FT-86 will be priced a little over $20k, making it a very affordable new sports car"

Present Day
(Defenders of FR-S/BRZ)

"Oh well how could you expect the car to cost $22k? Economies, markets, demand, blah blah blah. That's why its $26k!"

Up until 1 month ago....
"This car should be fairly quick, likely in the 6.0 second range 0-60, and 14.5-14.8 quarter mile".

Present Day
(Defenders of the FR-S/BRZ)

"Oh well the car runs from 0-60 in a weak 7.3 seconds because of a bizarre 2nd gear shift at 59.3 MPH. Also the 1/4 mile time is irrelevant, this isn't a drag car!"

The last 2 years.....
"The FT-86/FR-S/BRZ should be the next best drift car to hit the market since the 90's."

The start of this thread...
Highly credible folks test drifting capabilities of the FR-S and determine that it's a weak sauce drift car.

(Defenders of the FR-S/BRZ)
"Oh well this was never meant to be a drift car, dur!"

So here is what we have determined this car is NOT...

This car is not "affordable" as it was once meant to be.
This car is not fast, and not considered a "drag car" so being slow is OK.
This is not a drift car, so let it go.
The back seat can fit toddlers at best.
The trunk can probably fit your backpack AND your duffle bag!
The car gets worse MPG than a 505hp Z06 Corvette that weighs 600 pounds more.

I'm not bashing the FR-S / BRZ at all. This is simply my identification of what this car is NOT, though I am trying to figure out just what this car IS.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote