follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

View Poll Results: Do you plan to keep your FR-S/BRZ Bone Stock?
Yes. 79 31.35%
No way. 114 45.24%
I'll mod it once the warranty expires. 59 23.41%
Voters: 252. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2012, 09:36 PM   #29
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I will definitely do a drop in BMC cotton air filter and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires. Probably better Endless brake pads and Brembo brake discs when needed. And If I am rich enough, I will do lighter forged BBS wheels with the exact same specs as stock and they will look like they could have been stock. And maybe some Ohlins DFV coilovers if I feel there is enough room for improvement in the suspension. It would always look like a stock car though. I doubt I would want to sell it unless for a better/newer FR-S model in which case I could slap on the old parts. :P
Bristecom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:00 PM   #30
titusdrake
ex-First 86

Drives: 2013 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post
Of course not, the kids will put on their little intakes and put on Toyota emblems to be JDM and call it modded.
Dont start labelling ricers before the car is even out.. Ugh..
titusdrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #31
YinYang1980

Drives: Jeep Patriot 2011
the power of this car is more than enough for my use, so i will only make asthetic mod, like body kit, mags.
YinYang1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:59 PM   #32
Lytheum

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
stock for a while. maybe a short ram intake depending on how restrictive the stock intake is. somewhere down the road probably and exhaust and tune.
Lytheum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 01:21 AM   #33
Double4Free
Ashes to ashes.

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
I r going 2 put vinyl stickerz all over da car and call it mods.

No but really, id have to drive the car first. If the suspension is fine by me, no need for that. Probably fogs, new springs, wheels, intake. Getting TRD exhaust most likely. Oh and the most important mod of all, tints.
Double4Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:00 AM   #34
lookitschloe

Drives: tC
HAHA, I love how the poll shows a good number of people who will not and most posters on this thread are people who will.

That being said, I think tint is the most I'll go.. maybe. I might be too cheap to buy tint. (And yes, I do know how little sense that makes to spend $20k+ on a car and not $80 or however much it costs for tint.) Also, I know waaaaaaaaaaaaay too little about cars to even attempt modifying anything other than my seat position.
lookitschloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:26 AM   #35
Miniata

Drives: 13 BRZ - 90 Miata - 07 FXT -05 Mini
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I'll start out small, at least for the first couple of years probably. Mainly modifications for autocrossing, adjustable struts/shocks, possibly a sway bar, wheels and tires, and maybe a lightweight single sided exhaust
Miniata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:16 AM   #36
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I honestly plan on this being the first, and probably last, new car that I ever buy, and I don't foresee myself ever selling it. So keeping it stock for resale value is of zero importance. I'm thinking rims/tires, body kit, eventually a carbon fiber hood and carbon fiber wing, and a custom-installed stereo. Then supercharger once the powertrain warranty is up, suspension work... This car is going to be the end of me, and I'm going to love every minute of it!
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:18 AM   #37
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
I can already see that it is going to be extremely difficult to find a used FR-S or BRZ 2-3 years from now that has never been modified. Guess if I ever buy one, it will be brand new for sure.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:04 AM   #38
novee
Private Member

Drives: triumph daytona 675
I'm sure there are going to be plenty of buyers that just like the shape and don't touch the car beyond putting gas in it.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 AM   #39
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by novee View Post
I'm sure there are going to be plenty of buyers that just like the shape and don't touch the car beyond putting gas in it.
I agree. I think the residents of this forum are probably not a valid statistical sample for this question.

I know I'll probably keep mine stock, or maybe close to stock, but anything I do will be cosmetic. Doubt I'll be doing any powertrain/suspension mods.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Most people, perhaps. I have a friend who gives me crap for modifying my MR2, stating that I don't take enough time to get used to the car in one configuration before changing something. What do race car drivers do? They don't... change cars, tuning setups, components all the time do they? Oh, right, they do. Constantly. Part of being a skilled driver is being able to quickly adapt to changes in vehicle setup as well as terrain and climate change, rules and regulations, etc. You do need some time to settle in, yes, but I'd rather constantly improve the car (and the driver) along the way than have it stay the same forever; that sounds boring!
I agree with with having the car stay the same forever. It would be boring. However, I still think people jump way too quickly to modify their car.

I also find it amusing that you brought up the fact of race car drivers. Race car drivers drive as a profession. They spend countless hours doing laps on circuits over and over again to gain tenths of a second. Does your average driver on the street who may own a sports car have the same skill set? I highly doubt it. Not saying that the average driver can't drive the car to it's maximum potential, but it's very unlikely. There's this thing called Illusory Superiority where people think they are much better at something than they really are. Research has been done to show that most people overestimate their driving ability.

I do not want to get into a heated debate. It's your money so spend it however you wish. On the other hand, I will be spending my money in more track time, more autocrosses, and HPDE's. I will be modifying the nut behind the wheel before I modify the car.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #41
shaX 07

Drives: 1998 Honda Accord EX
I guess I should answer my own thread.

I'm not planning to buy an FR-S or BRZ, however I would consider doing so if a Turbo version is released, OR if the TRD Supercharger comes to fruition.

So I guess adding a TRD Supercharger to an FR-S is technically modding, but it's a dealer part so at least warranty remains in tact.
shaX 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:59 AM   #42
m52go

Drives: Suzuki SX4
Toyota emblems...front, back, steering wheel.

Aside from that I need to drive it first.

Wait, who am I kidding? Tint, wheels, tires, and suspension. Probably exhaust too.
m52go is offline   Reply With Quote