follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 PM   #15
Laika
When In Doubt...

Drives: Slowww
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMyHonda View Post
Granted, I did sway bars, coil overs and the lockouts at the same time. There is defiantly more feedback in the steering wheel. With that said, I am hyper sensitive to changes and I live in Chicago where the roads are SHIT. The locks outs certainly from my experience and driving environment feel like things are tighter and more connected with the road. It's a good and slight NVH in my hands more, than in my ears. Theses did not change cabin loudness.

I guess my questions for you is, what tires are you on?
I drove some more and I think I experienced more of the positive effects. The car seems more willing to dodge potholes at a split seconds notice. I do NOT hit potholes. I probably look like a drunk driver usually. So for that type of driving, this mod feels good.

I did some mid speed on ramps today and I was surprised I didn't feel much of a difference even at initial turn in.

Then on the highway I drove over a patched crack that ran parallel to the road and I could feel how smooth it was with my steering wheel. It almost felt slippery. I don't think I liked this. Then I noticed some vibration when coming to a stop in a wavy lane. That was no big deal.

I just don't think I noticed what reads like a night and day difference such as what PoWn3d saw. If I read correctly, him and I are both on stock tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoWn3d_0704 View Post
For spirited driving where you are actually holding the wheel and turning it and DRIVING the car, they are flat out amazing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
Details on the install? Looks straightforward - removing that one bolt and replacing oem stuff with the perrin lockdown. I see allen key holes.

Interested.
OEM bushings stay in place. Here's the instructions

http://perrinperformance.com/attachment/78833-.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfbmike View Post
Just read Gopherboy's thread. For less than 100 bucks, what's there to lose?

I'll be picking up a set soon.
It's worth doing. I just over anticipated the degree of difference.

Join the Galaxy Blue Silica BRZ registry below:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...2c&usp=sharing
Laika is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laika For This Useful Post:
mfbmike (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 02:25 AM   #16
PoWn3d_0704

Drives: 1990 BNR32 GTR
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Well @Laika, you need to do a long drive. If you hit the freeway and drive for 1.5-2hrs your hands will start to get vibrated until they are numb. It takes a good long while, but it happens to me.

I drive from Eugene to Portland (Oregon) regularly. That is around a 100 mile trip. I usually start to feel it about 75-80 miles in.

Now, for comparison, my roommate has a mostly stock BRZ. (He has the Perrin Tranny bushing.)

His steering feels lighter than mine, and more digital. The solid brackets make the steering heavier. Something I enjoy.

Now, to get a SERIOUS feel for it, I have an AutoX this weekend. There, I will have...

My car: Perrin steering rack bushings, Perrin tranny mount, Perrin Shifter bushing, Perrin 19mm front and 16 mm rear sways with poly endlinks. Stock tires.

Roommates: Stock except Perrin Tranny mount.

Friend from out of state: Bone stock.

I'll make sure to pay attention while doing my runs.

Build Album:
PoWn3d's BRZ Pictures

Build Thread: PoWn3d's BRZ
PoWn3d_0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PoWn3d_0704 For This Useful Post:
Laika (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 12:59 PM   #17
mfbmike

Drives: 2013 FRS, 2008 R32
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laika View Post
I drove some more and I think I experienced more of the positive effects. The car seems more willing to dodge potholes at a split seconds notice. I do NOT hit potholes. I probably look like a drunk driver usually. So for that type of driving, this mod feels good.

I did some mid speed on ramps today and I was surprised I didn't feel much of a difference even at initial turn in.

Then on the highway I drove over a patched crack that ran parallel to the road and I could feel how smooth it was with my steering wheel. It almost felt slippery. I don't think I liked this. Then I noticed some vibration when coming to a stop in a wavy lane. That was no big deal.

I just don't think I noticed what reads like a night and day difference such as what PoWn3d saw. If I read correctly, him and I are both on stock tires.

OEM bushings stay in place. Here's the instructions

http://perrinperformance.com/attachment/78833-.pdf

It's worth doing. I just over anticipated the degree of difference.
Awesome. Thanks for the link.
mfbmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:33 AM   #18
N234

Drives:
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I like the idea of more detail in steering feel but I am concerned about the health of the surrounding parts.

Has anybody used lockdowns long-term, possibly on other vehicles? Can you speak to the wear rates of other steering components which are bound to see more stress?
N234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #19
Element Tuning

Drives: Hydra EMS Powered FRS Raven Black
Thanked 1,021 Times in 365 Posts
Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We run these on the Element Tuning Time Attack FRS and honestly there are no downsides, so easy to install, and fits perfectly. This helps to reduce the deflection of steering rack due to the rubber bushing with a bolt through it.

So the more mods you have to your suspension and tires the higher the degree of deflection you will get and it's very substantial with race tires, race suspension, and a big front sway bar. Think of this product as a strut bar for your steering rack in that it won't eliminate 100% of the deflection but will reduce flex in the bushing substantially. The good thing is that it doesn't eliminate all of the benefits of having a rubber mounted rack vs. a solidly mounted rack (harmonics, stress, zero give on impact).

I think I need a Perrin Steering Rack Lockdown for our STi Time Attack car as that rack shifts so much I'll come off the track with a crooked steering wheel

Thanks,
Phil Grabow

Last edited by Element Tuning; 08-08-2014 at 10:43 PM.
Element Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Element Tuning For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (12-10-2014)
Old 08-08-2014, 01:43 PM   #20
Gopherboy6956

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited WRB
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yea, I've had mine in all summer, with both Track and AutoX time. No downsides at all. Just a quick, simple mod for the big effect.
Old 02-13-2015, 04:28 PM   #21
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Is there any reason to replace the bushings if you install these? These seem to essentially replace the bushings (even though the bushing stay in place).
YouShallKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 04:39 PM   #22
YouShallKnow

Drives: Man
Send a message via ICQ to YouShallKnow Send a message via AIM to YouShallKnow Send a message via Yahoo to YouShallKnow
Quote:
Originally Posted by YouShallKnow View Post
Is there any reason to replace the bushings if you install these? These seem to essentially replace the bushings (even though the bushing stay in place).
Nevermind, read Perrin's response in their thread announcing this product. Minimal difference if you replace steering bushings.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #23
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Is it better to replace the bushings for stiffer ones than just adding the lockdowns with oem bushings? I see these cost twice as much than bushings but are easier to install.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #24
N234

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
Is it better to replace the bushings for stiffer ones than just adding the lockdowns with oem bushings? I see these cost twice as much than bushings but are easier to install.
Depends on your desired level of feedback/NVH.
It's not about which is better or worse but rather which of the three (OEM, polyurethane, and lockdown) is in your comfort zone.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:47 PM   #25
yomny

Drives: 2013 FRS Whiteout
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by N234 View Post
Depends on your desired level of feedback/NVH.
It's not about which is better or worse but rather which of the three (OEM, polyurethane, and lockdown) is in your comfort zone.
I see, so the lock downs reduce the flex but not 100% like replacing bushings completely, therefore then increase in NVH is less? Thanks.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:50 PM   #26
N234

Drives:
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomny View Post
I see, so the lock downs reduce the flex but not 100% like replacing bushings completely, therefore then increase in NVH is less? Thanks.
Actually the lock downs are stiffest. The polyurethane would be the median. OEMs are marshmallows.
The Following User Says Thank You to N234 For This Useful Post:
yomny (05-25-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 10:13 PM   #27
philooo

Drives: 13' Scion FRS Track car
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
nobody experienced switching from the perrin to the solid bushing replacement or vice-versa ? I am curious to see if there is any differences.

the perrin kit seems to be so much simpler to install I am temped.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #28
pcuerpo

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to pcuerpo Send a message via Yahoo to pcuerpo
i installed whiteline steering rack and pinion bushing, can i still have the steering lockdown installed? emailed perrin about this but didnt get any replies

IG: @pcuerpo.images
pcuerpo is offline   Reply With Quote