follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2019, 08:05 PM   #29
mixxxx

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting fact. Pulled out CSG C1 pads during routine brake maintenance.

After 12 competition days with 86Cup, paint is still more or less intact and hasnt boiled over.
Drivers even with oem calipers using this pad have similar results.
Other pads I've tried have had their paint disintegrate even after just a few sessions.

Thickness is also still impressive considering the abuse they took.
I'll take exact measurements later, so for now comparing it with OEM brembo pad with 1 trackday lol (csg pad on left with 15,000 daily miles)

It just shows how much effort and quality they put in developing the pad. It may have a high initial cost but pays off in the long run.

Basenji paw for scale.

Last edited by mixxxx; 04-12-2019 at 08:22 PM.
mixxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mixxxx For This Useful Post:
FeRS (03-07-2022)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #30
kuidaore

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
CSG C1 are very consistent on the track over long sessions. Drove 3 25 min sessions as well as a 45 min and 95 min session at Buttonwillow on the same day. Experienced no fade. Much like!
kuidaore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #31
kinchu007

Drives: Ghost BRZ
Fantastic product!

I've now driven several cars at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla and Streets of Willow with the CSG Spec C1 pads including a turbo BRZ and a supercharged BRZ and they are the best pads I've ever tried. Very easy to get up to temp, very easy to modulate and trail brake, no weird fade characteristics or fall off, just intuitive pads that do the job and do it well. As a point of reference, I've tried Winmax W5, Winmax W6, Project Mu 999, Project Mu RSF03, Hawk DTC70, Carbotech XP10, and many other pads over the last 4 years.

Because I'm a huge fan of trying new things I decided to order the CSG Spec C2 pads and will be putting them on the car in time for 86Cup Round 5 next month. The C2 pads offer higher torque which should be great for my soon to arrive r-comps.

I'll try to post a full review after the track day but for now here's a teaser pic of the fresh pads on my living room floor.
Attached Images

kinchu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 09:35 PM   #32
Daemonomics

Drives: 2017 WRB BRZ Limited PP 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuidaore View Post
CSG C1 are very consistent on the track over long sessions. Drove 3 25 min sessions as well as a 45 min and 95 min session at Buttonwillow on the same day. Experienced no fade. Much like!
I also ran the C1 at Buttonwillow that weekend. I ended up turning the most laps that day, per the organizer's website, and experienced zero issues with brakes. Consistent feel lap after lap, no fade. It's nice going out and not having to worry about whether or not my brakes were good enough.
Daemonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #33
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
More CSG Spec pads just came back in stock for BRZ/FR-S application - OEM caliper & Brembo Performance Package.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 04:33 PM   #34
Westen86
Purist

Drives: 2013 FRS - Hot Lava
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
I recently put WinMax W3's on my FRS. What a huge improvement! My goal was a very durable daily pad capable of short trackdays. (Maybe 3 a year) Im assuming the C1's are much more track focused like a W4 or W5? How would mine compare to the C1's?

RaceComp SS-1, Complete SuperPro bushings, TR Motorsport FF10 17x9 +45, GruppeS UEL, HKS Hi-Power V2, OFT(93/E85)
Westen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:34 PM   #35
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
I recently put WinMax W3's on my FRS. What a huge improvement! My goal was a very durable daily pad capable of short trackdays. (Maybe 3 a year) Im assuming the C1's are much more track focused like a W4 or W5? How would mine compare to the C1's?
We recommend you try out the Winmax W3 so you can get a good idea of what an OEM+ type of brake pad can do. Winmax W5 is a good entry level brake pad if you have never used a track pad before.

C1 is a motorsports level compound formulated from motorsport activities, tested on brake dynos, and validated in racing. It is a strong upgrade option to the standard off the shelf track/race brake pads. For high grip tires, the C2 would be an option for those looking for a little extra friction. Both C1 and C2 compounds are sprint compounds and both work for low grip to slick racing compound tires.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:35 AM   #36
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
@CounterSpace Garage

Do you guys have a Canadian distributor? I've been looking at getting a set of C1's and CSG spec Teins FLA's.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 11:06 AM   #37
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
RayRay88: i'm certain they can ship directly. They shipped to me overseas to Europe after all
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:26 PM   #38
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayRay88 View Post
@CounterSpace Garage

Do you guys have a Canadian distributor? I've been looking at getting a set of C1's and CSG spec Teins FLA's.
No distributors yet, but we will be looking into doing so in the future. We do ship to Canada without any issues, so just message us whenever you're ready to order!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CounterSpace Garage For This Useful Post:
RayRay88 (05-31-2019), wparsons (06-24-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #39
Speedy Nick

Drives: Stock
After one season of racing and testing (4 race weekends, 15-20 30min test session, around 10,000km on track) at Fuji Speedway Japan, I have decided to change my brake setup.

Here is my impression of CSG spec C1 / Brembo slotted disks;
1) Super consistent, with superb release characteristics great match with ABS
2) Super low attack on disks. I was able to run a full year with the set that I started with
3) Superb in terms of keeping the caliper temperature low. My caliper temperature was less than 160℃! at FSW...
4) A season, with my use case, was the appropriate overhaul cycle. My competitors typically overhaul pads / disks mid-season... very light on your wallet
5) With the CSG C11, the brake bias was superb. I was noted as one of the fastest into, and out of the 1st corner at FSW, where I brake from 120m mark at 210km/h, down to 75km/h into the corner
6) Disks / pads wore beautifully. Due to the 1 piece rotor, the rotor had some taper wear, resulting in taper pad wear too. I will note however this was MUCH BETTER than other racing pads! Just be sure to check the pad wear once every couple of months...

All-in-all, I highly recommend this setup for any sprint racing application. The best setup for the clubman racers! I am now moving on to the C2 / C11, blank Brembo rotor setup.
Attached Images

Speedy Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Nick For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019), Tristor (06-23-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 06:07 PM   #40
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
I've now been on track 3 times with a combination of AP Racing Sprint BBK in the front and OEM rears w/ CSG Spec C2 front, C1 rear.

Generally speaking I'm very happy with the results of the CSG Spec pads.

Pros:

The linearity is fantastic all the way through the temperature range, which is very apparent because my brakes don't heat quickly until deep into a session due to the track configuration and my driving style. Braking points are extremely predictable and repeatable from my very first hot lap all the way to my last hot lap. I also daily drive with the same brake setup, and I find them to be exceptionally good at cold bite on the street with again strong linearity at low temps, making it easy to stop exactly where I want to every single time and easy to modulate speed in highway traffic.

Recorded caliper temps are lower with the CSG Spec pads vs the Ferodo pads I was previously running on track as measured via AP Racing caliper temp stickers. Clearly the pad material is providing a better thermal buffer in this case, which will likely result in a longer fluid life span. I haven't needed to bleed my brakes yet after my last flush due to heat fade.

Cons:

These pads produce a significant amount of dust, which tends to burn in. My APEX Racing ARC-8 wheels have only had 1 track event and ~500 miles of daily driving on them and already have nearly impossible to remove brake dust burn-in. Only way I can remove is via using acid mix with 000 steel wool by hand, a wheel woolie or stiff bristled brush with wheel cleaner and Iron-X isn't sufficient. Thankfully my nicer wheels are all double ceramic coated, so removing the brake dust from them is much simpler matter.

Pad wear seems to be extremely high compared to my initial expectations, likely due to lower operating temperature range during most of the pad usage (daily driving). I'm about 6 months in from initial installation and I believe I will likely need to replace my front pads in the next 2 months, not quite finishing out a year. Very surprising to me considering I didn't get on track nearly as often this year as I initially expected, so I would have assumed much longer lifespan considering component cost.

General note, the AP Racing Sprint BBK is very noisy both on and off the track. I wore through my first set of rotors already and due to this I was able to positively determine the noise is almost entirely caused by the J-Hook rotor design. Once the rotors were flat, and after sufficient burn-in, they were nearly silent with the CSG pad compounds. I am assessing switching to a different front BBK that will let me run flat-faced rotors as I don't believe slots or j-hooks are necessary for my application. If/when I do so, I'll re-assess the CSG Spec brake pads and update the thread. At this point, I plan to buy a second set and see how they go I'm open to recommendations from other drivers on which BBK I should consider with the assumption I'm keeping OEM rears.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:54 AM   #41
Speedy Nick

Drives: Stock
I would say just go with the CSG or equivalent Brembo 4-pot BBK, with their standard Brembo slotted disks. I race on it, and have absolutely no issue. C1 performed better in terms of stopping power and temperature compared to PFC 08 that I run prior to C1.

You can always use blank Brembo disks that are much cheaper when you need to replace them... I am running C2 with the blank Brembo this year.
Attached Images

Speedy Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Speedy Nick For This Useful Post:
CounterSpace Garage (06-24-2019), Tristor (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #42
CounterSpace Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
I've now been on track 3 times with a combination of AP Racing Sprint BBK in the front and OEM rears w/ CSG Spec C2 front, C1 rear.

Generally speaking I'm very happy with the results of the CSG Spec pads.

Pros:

The linearity is fantastic all the way through the temperature range, which is very apparent because my brakes don't heat quickly until deep into a session due to the track configuration and my driving style. Braking points are extremely predictable and repeatable from my very first hot lap all the way to my last hot lap. I also daily drive with the same brake setup, and I find them to be exceptionally good at cold bite on the street with again strong linearity at low temps, making it easy to stop exactly where I want to every single time and easy to modulate speed in highway traffic.

Recorded caliper temps are lower with the CSG Spec pads vs the Ferodo pads I was previously running on track as measured via AP Racing caliper temp stickers. Clearly the pad material is providing a better thermal buffer in this case, which will likely result in a longer fluid life span. I haven't needed to bleed my brakes yet after my last flush due to heat fade.

Cons:

These pads produce a significant amount of dust, which tends to burn in. My APEX Racing ARC-8 wheels have only had 1 track event and ~500 miles of daily driving on them and already have nearly impossible to remove brake dust burn-in. Only way I can remove is via using acid mix with 000 steel wool by hand, a wheel woolie or stiff bristled brush with wheel cleaner and Iron-X isn't sufficient. Thankfully my nicer wheels are all double ceramic coated, so removing the brake dust from them is much simpler matter.

Pad wear seems to be extremely high compared to my initial expectations, likely due to lower operating temperature range during most of the pad usage (daily driving). I'm about 6 months in from initial installation and I believe I will likely need to replace my front pads in the next 2 months, not quite finishing out a year. Very surprising to me considering I didn't get on track nearly as often this year as I initially expected, so I would have assumed much longer lifespan considering component cost.

General note, the AP Racing Sprint BBK is very noisy both on and off the track. I wore through my first set of rotors already and due to this I was able to positively determine the noise is almost entirely caused by the J-Hook rotor design. Once the rotors were flat, and after sufficient burn-in, they were nearly silent with the CSG pad compounds. I am assessing switching to a different front BBK that will let me run flat-faced rotors as I don't believe slots or j-hooks are necessary for my application. If/when I do so, I'll re-assess the CSG Spec brake pads and update the thread. At this point, I plan to buy a second set and see how they go I'm open to recommendations from other drivers on which BBK I should consider with the assumption I'm keeping OEM rears.
The wear is a function of the bedding process. If the discs (if also new) are properly bedded, the life of the disc increases significantly. We have also seen discs fail as quickly as 2 track days due to improper bedding. We also recommend not using ducting if possible to maintain heat in the system. One big difference is the ability for the pads to maintain consistency even when it's highly stressed. This results in low caliper distortion due to heat and reduced heat into the brake fluid.

Let us know if you need some support on this avenue before going through a different brake system. While trying to maximize the AP kit, we also must know what pace you're driving at as well. At some point there simply isn't enough thermal capacity in the disc to handle and thus, going to a larger system will significantly improve your the wear qualities, brake feel, and brake performance consistency.

Thank you for your honest review. We look forward to many more from others!

Tags
csg brakes, csg spec