follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 AM   #1
EJ20

Drives: NA8C, GDB, and R50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question AE86 production numbers vs future?

hello guys.

Well, I'm just curious about the AE86 production numbers? I did a search in google for some time now but no clue yet? The AE86 was great success and I'm sure toyota made over 100K units in its production cycle

I really worry about the FT86 future as I do see in the last decade most people run away from sports cars and just buy a plain car/suv? I do remmember almost a year back nissan announced that (after they did there homework) that there is no profits in making a new silvia (s16) and sales will be too low?
I'm sure toyota see profits in the FT86, but was woundering how succesful the ft86 will be? I'm sick of people driving boring cars and would like to see the ft86 in every corner
EJ20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:10 AM   #2
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
I'm sick of people driving boring cars and would like to see the ft86 in every corner
I'd hate that. I wouldn't feel unique or special at all...

I definitely want the car to spark a new wave for Toyota, and be a success (which is why I will probably buy brand new), but I don't want every idiot kid on the block to have one.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 AM   #3
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ20 View Post
hello guys.

Well, I'm just curious about the AE86 production numbers? I did a search in google for some time now but no clue yet? The AE86 was great success and I'm sure toyota made over 100K units in its production cycle

I really worry about the FT86 future as I do see in the last decade most people run away from sports cars and just buy a plain car/suv? I do remmember almost a year back nissan announced that (after they did there homework) that there is no profits in making a new silvia (s16) and sales will be too low?
I'm sure toyota see profits in the FT86, but was woundering how succesful the ft86 will be? I'm sick of people driving boring cars and would like to see the ft86 in every corner
That's all depends on how this car meet ppl's needs/wants. If only hit certain group then it's gonna be very limited production (example: Evo/STI & S2k/Z). If they open it up for different ppl's needs/wants in the car then it's gonna be big production. It's all up to Toyota
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM   #4
xantonin
Mr. Detail

Drives: 2003 Celica GT-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
That's all depends on how this car meet ppl's needs/wants. If only hit certain group then it's gonna be very limited production (example: Evo/STI & S2k/Z). If they open it up for different ppl's needs/wants in the car then it's gonna be big production. It's all up to Toyota
This is a very good point and I think maybe why the Celica and the MR2 failed (in sales).

Toyota tried to make the car appeal to everyone's needs, and this ultimately lead to them not being super awesome in any one area, or at least appeal to the right people...
Old 03-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #5
Archer256

Drives: TSX
Depends on Toyota's business plan and outlook on the cars performance in sales. If they plan this car to be a buy for a specific age group then they have appropriate sales targets in mind, meaning they plan to sell a decent amount each year but dont expect large sale volumes of a mass market car in which case they company is prepared for it.

i think expecting this car to be a buy for EVERYBODY is naive business on their part...so assuming all of that...this car will be a success in their books if it is competing well with similar categorical cars and they'll be supporting this.
Archer256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 2.0T (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Import sports cars will never sell as well as the Muscle coupes do. The only way I can see this car selling well is with aggressive pricing and having a coupe that competes with a broad range of sports coupes(in performance and efficiency) without being too pricey.
SUB-FT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUB-FT86 View Post
Import sports cars will never sell as well as the Muscle coupes do. The only way I can see this car selling well is with aggressive pricing and having a coupe that competes with a broad range of sports coupes(in performance and efficiency) without being too pricey.
Really... when did muscle car outsold Civics?
Old 03-20-2011, 04:27 PM   #8
C-Bone

Drives: '03 Tiburon
Ya, this car isn't for everyone like say a Camry would be (family car, decent gas mileage, etc). Its for people without kids (or at least dont plan on putting kids in it regularly) who want a fun "drivers" car that can be DRIVEN not just driven if you know what I mean, the only thing that might make this into something more than a sporty "drivers" car is if it gets great gas mileage for people who want a compact commuter for work and stuff. A way to make it have great gas mileage would be to make a hybrid version for people who want it for commuter which then makes it not a "drivers" car lol just a put-put around car that looks ok (ie. Honda CR-Z blegh! ). So from a sales perspective, it would make more sense to make several versions (like the new Sonata regular/turbo/hybrid) to appeal to more people to in turn increase sales and hopefully have a success though I would prefer it to only be one version, the bad a$$ version, whichever that may be
Old 03-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #9
VenomRush
Thee O-ri-gi-na-tor

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xantonin View Post
I'd hate that. I wouldn't feel unique or special at all...

I definitely want the car to spark a new wave for Toyota, and be a success (which is why I will probably buy brand new), but I don't want every idiot kid on the block to have one.
im planning on having a small sticker that lets people know that ive been following this car since october of 09.. something along the lines of "original something something" with my forum name
VenomRush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #10
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Garage
^ Class of '09?

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #11
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
Really... when did muscle car outsold Civics?
First off a civic starts at 15k in which the FT has no plans at starting at. Secondly a civic has a sedan option which makes up 60-70% of its sales. There is no comparison. Chevy sold 90,000 Camaro's last year and the best sales I have ever seen for a import sports car in a year was probably the miata at 35-40k sold annually in the U.S.

And it's funny that you think a civic is a sports car.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #12
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
First off a civic starts at 15k in which the FT has no plans at starting at. Secondly a civic has a sedan option which makes up 60-70% of its sales. There is no comparison. Chevy sold 90,000 Camaro's last year and the best sales I have ever seen for a import sports car in a year was probably the miata at 35-40k sold annually in the U.S.

And it's funny that you think a civic is a sports car.
For muscle cars they really do hit a larger target then most imports do as they cater to the baby boomers who grew up driving them, people who grew up dreaming about them and the kids now who like muscle

Most guys who drove those cars in the past would never buy a sports car that was an import. they grew up in a different age where buyin domestic was supporting your country and continue with that mindset

also for a car that has been in development since 06 it better sell well
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
SUB-FT86
86 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
For muscle cars they really do hit a larger target then most imports do as they cater to the baby boomers who grew up driving them, people who grew up dreaming about them and the kids now who like muscle

Most guys who drove those cars in the past would never buy a sports car that was an import. they grew up in a different age where buyin domestic was supporting your country and continue with that mindset

also for a car that has been in development since 06 it better sell well
But this is the point I was trying to make to those who think it may sell well. It will sell decently I believe. I forecast 20-30k in the first year then it might start to fall off yearly. There is too much RWD sports coupe out there which is a good thing. I would choose import over domestic any day.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:16 PM   #14
OldSkoolToys
Is a Monster

Drives: AE86, MA70
Garage
Quote:
There is too much RWD sports coupe out there which is a good thing. I would choose import over domestic any day.
There are 0 compact RWD hardtop coupes.
OldSkoolToys is offline   Reply With Quote