follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS]

Off-Topic Lounge [WARNING: NO POLITICS] For all off-topic discussion topics.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 12-21-2015, 07:39 PM   #43
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS - Raven
Thanked 3,416 Times in 1,677 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav1178 View Post
But how?

That would imply that Padamame or Panda Bear or whatever her name is gave birth to Rey at age 60+??

Padme was at least 20 in Episode III.
Episode IV was 20 years after III.
Episode VI was ~4 years after IV.
Episode VII was 30 years after VI.

The numbers don't make sense.
Good question!

Well.... Yes and no, in Force Awakens (Episode VII), Rey is roughly 19 years old (not newly born). So it's plausible that Padme could have given birth to Rey not at 60, but at 40-50. However Obi-Wan is killed in Ep IV so that could lay that all to rest.
DAEMANO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:53 PM   #44
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oso_25 View Post
Agree I felt the same way watching episode 4 again with just new characters. Plus so random how all of a sudden the Millennium Falcon is in the middle of Junk yard and they just jump in it.

Just from reading a lot of things and how the movie should have been maybe JJ should of went with that direction on this movie. I mean I was scared when he did Star Trek and thought that he was going to mess that up but that movie ended up turning out really good. I felt that there was also to much comedy in this movie I don't remember Star wars being a comedy?
No comedy in the first one? The only reason C3P0 existed was to provide comic relief. He was nothing but a shiny gold stand-up act for the first three movies.
Mind you I have a totally different perspective on the movies then many of you young guys since I saw the first one in a virtually empty theater about a week after it was released. There was none of the massive canon that exists now and it was just a pretty good movie. We walked out after it was done and agreed that it was pretty much your standard western set in space (I have seen it called such since then). All these back stories and non movie additions to the Star Wars Universe had changed how you see it. As much as I enjoy them today I still think of them as just a pretty good series of movies and don't get caught up in all the other things that make them iconic to the younger generation.

Star Trek turned out really good?
Sure nice action movie but not Star Trek by a long shot (and I don't mean the whole alternate reality thing but the tone and nuance).
Kirk is an impulsive, irresponsible jerk that is just really lucky.
Spock is just a moody asshole.
Scotty is some sort of idiot savant.
And McCoy may as well not even exist.
Dadhawk (01-04-2016), DAEMANO (12-22-2015), GeorgeJFrick (01-02-2016), M-17 (12-22-2015), strat61caster (12-22-2015)
Old 12-21-2015, 07:58 PM   #45
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAEMANO View Post
Good question!

Well.... Yes and no, in Force Awakens (Episode VII), Rey is roughly 19 years old (not newly born). So it's plausible that Padme could have given birth to Rey not at 60, but at 40-50. However Obi-Wan is killed in Ep IV so that could lay that all to rest.

I think Rey and Ren are twins.

Edit: this would make sense given how Leia just bypassed Chewie and hugged Rey, as if she knew her already.

Last edited by mav1178; 12-21-2015 at 08:28 PM.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mav1178 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015), M-17 (12-22-2015), oso_25 (12-22-2015), Tcoat (12-21-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 06:06 AM   #46
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Loved it, called it on Kylo two months back.

I saw an old teacher post "now there are three good star wars movies", I think he's right but rotj is cool in my book so I count 4. I'd call this better than ANH if they had less fanservice and came up with something more original than data in a robot and blowing up another death star. Everything else was fantastic.

Edit, maybe Rey is Ben Solos kid O.o
Could be part of his fall and more parallels to Anakin.

Wait nvm Ben would have to have been a father at 10 for that math to work, my bad, his hair isn't that good.

Given what han and leia said about Ben it makes zero sense for them to be so casual about another kid they ditched for decades, Rey is definitely not theirs imo. Luke still plausible but it is curious indeed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Ugh, I accidentally looked up Kylo Ren... wookiepedia is saying that Kylo Ren was born shortly after the "defeat of the empire", spoilers blah blah blah, liberal interpretation of what 'born' means blah blah blah.

My money is on Leia and Han's child is Kylo as they are both force sensitive and definitely hooked up during the celebrations. Would explain why they're not flying around in the Falcon together, having your child restart the evil empire you risked your lives to defeat after being trained by your best friend/brother would certainly break a family up.

Also, the lead girl, potential han/leia children, potential luke kids, I'd like assume that this trilogy delivers us a third generation Skywalker bastard dropped on Tatooine so the rest of the galaxy doesn't notice. Really, Star Wars is about shitty fathers and good men who can't have kids trying to be fathers and failing creating more shitty fathers.

Edit: In support of Luke being our new villain, we see one lightsaber swing from the villain, looks an awful lot like Luke's only notable lightsaber move from the trilogy in which he tries to split his father in two like a piece of wood.

Also: dat snout = Darth Jar Jar.
At this point I think anyone who says it's not as good as other star wars movies hasn't really recently digested them without falling for nostalgia.

And as pointed out in a review Finn and Poe have more brotherhood bonding chemistry in 5 minutes than Anakin and Obi Wan generate in 6 hours of prequel runtime. Hopefully they can ditch the fanservice for the next one and I can't wait to see villains develop out of Kylo and Phasma.

Last edited by strat61caster; 12-22-2015 at 06:27 AM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015), jawn (12-22-2015), M-17 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 12:11 PM   #47
WhiteFRS69

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,432 Times in 756 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
FYI guys

"The film grossed an estimated $528 million globally by Sunday, Disney CEO Bob Iger told Bloomberg Monday. "Star Wars" broke the record set by "Jurassic World" earlier this year at $525 million."
WhiteFRS69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:49 PM   #48
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:

I think Rey and Ren are twins.

Edit: this would make sense given how Leia just bypassed Chewie and hugged Rey, as if she knew her already.
I think this is the most plausible conclusion because in the books they are (Jacen (Ben), Jaina (Rey), and Anakin (the twins' younger brother) . I hope the story doesn't go this route because it's all too predictable. Definitely would like to see Abrams/Disney shake things up.
Old 12-22-2015, 12:52 PM   #49
mav1178

Quote:
Definitely would like to see Abrams/Disney shake things up.
Episodes VIII and IX are written by Rian Johnson, completely out of Abrams' hands now...
Old 12-22-2015, 01:20 PM   #50
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Episodes VIII and IX are written by Rian Johnson, completely out of Abrams' hands now...
Careful when being so quick to try and correct. Writing any multiple chapter story with multiple authors is an additive effort. Meaning to say that what Abrams established and Disney approved in Force Awakens most likely will be continued through all 3 movies. Specifically major plot elements (like Rey, Finn's and Phasma's identities) and many character specifics (names, archetypes, etc.) will also remain from the original work. A new writer can add to that. Subtraction OTOH is much more restrictive.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:57 PM   #51
mav1178

Quote:
Careful when being so quick to try and correct. Writing any multiple chapter story with multiple authors is an additive effort. Meaning to say that what Abrams established and Disney approved in Force Awakens most likely will be continued through all 3 movies. Specifically major plot elements (like Rey, Finn's and Phasma's identities) and many character specifics (names, archetypes, etc.) will also remain from the original work. A new writer can add to that. Subtraction OTOH is much more restrictive.
But that's just it... all the questions we are asking were left intentionally vague or unanswered because it gives the writer creative freedom.

It's what happened when they declared the old stuff non-canon.

-alex
Old 12-22-2015, 02:13 PM   #52
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Unless if it's subtraction by way of incest.

jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #53
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
But that's just it... all the questions we are asking were left intentionally vague or unanswered because it gives the writer creative freedom.

It's what happened when they declared the old stuff non-canon.

-alex
Sorry but this isn't correct. The process of writing Ep. VII and Ep. VIII has been documented in interviews with Abrams and Johnson. It was a collaborative effort that also involved input from Disney's people. Major plot elements like identities and motivations for the series were established when Ep. VII was penned and not left wide-open. Ep. VIII's elements were written over a year ago input from both directors. Ep IX will be directed by Colin Trevorrow, but will include mostly writing from Johnson continuing plot elements that he and Abrams established. Please read here:

How J.J. Abrams and Rian Johnson Collaborated to Create the Future of Star Wars
http://www.slashfilm.com/how-j-j-abr...-of-star-wars/

Quote:
Abrams elaborates and praises Johnson’s screenplay for the next installment:
When Rian who I admire enormously and adore, came on board, we met and talked with him about all the things we were working on and playing with, and he as a spectacular writer and director has taken those things and has written an AMAZING script that I think will be an incredible next chapter, some of which incorporating things we were thinking of and other things are things we could never of dreamed of.
Does Rian Johnson read the Force Awakens script and give notes, suggesting changes or additions for things he maybe wants to seed early for his film? Abrams says the process was somewhat collaborative:
There were a handful of things we talked about that were going to be helpful to him. Some were very easy to do, and some things were things that I didn’t want to do for other reasons, but I tried to be as accommodating as I could. And its so cool to see what happens next in a way that only someone as talented as Rian could do.
Kennedy admits that Jurassic World helmer Colin Trevorrow will probably end up having a more involved collaboration with Rian Johnson:
I think Colin [Trevorrow] will end up doing more of that more-so with Rian as he develops Episode IX.
This makes sense as Trevorrow is coming in to direct the conclusion of this new sequel trilogy, and it’s essentially a third act of the story structured by Abrams and Johnson. As for JJ Abrams’ involvement in the future of the franchise, Kennedy told me:
His involvement on VIII and IX will really just be an executive producer, and really just to continue the storytelling.
The Following User Says Thank You to DAEMANO For This Useful Post:
M-17 (12-22-2015)
Old 12-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #54
DAEMANO
Time Traveller

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Unless if it's subtraction by way of incest.

Lucas was ahead of his time

Old 12-22-2015, 02:39 PM   #55
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:44 PM   #56
M-17
Ninja Cat Mod

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 6,254 Times in 2,673 Posts
Mentioned: 149 Post(s)
Garage
Okay so I really liked the movie as a fan. I mean it felt like I was watching the very first Star Wars movie all over again when I was younger.... oh wait, that's because it was just the same story, but with different characters. That's okay. They're doing that for the new generation. I'm okay with that, I guess. Gotta keep the series alive! Anyway, the pacing in the movie wasn't that bad, only reason I say this is because it leaves us wondering about Rey's mysterious background and keen learning skill for the force, plus what kind of person Finn will be in the next episode, not just physically, but character wise. Yeah, I know they did rush some things like how Po survives the crash, quickly befriends Finn, same can be said about Rey's and Finn's friendship too, but that was expected. Also too bad Phasma didn't have much screen time. What really bothered me was Kylo Ren. Ren shows off how powerful and commanding he can be in the very beginning by stopping a blaster shot in mid air, something that had not been seen yet in any of the original movies, but as the film progressed, that image began to fade away. He started to lose his cool, he could not fully handle Rey, but I guess having no heart to kill his father must give him some credit back. I'm just not entirely sure why he decided to turn to the dark side in the first place, other than being swayed by Snoke, as Leia mentions to Han. Or is it really as Ren mentions it, to redeem his grandfather's past? Or perhaps was Han and Leia that much of unloving parents for leaving him with Luke to learn the force? Or maybe its all genetic, "... has some Vader in him." I don't know. Not sure how much those theories hold up. I'll just continue to wonder if he will see the point of no return to become like his grandfather or return home for Light side. But hey, you see, the rushing pace of the film left me wanting to know more. Well the writers could have at least chose one person to build more character on. I probably just had too much high expectation for Kylo Ren to be the next badass Star Wars villain too.
As the story goes, it wasn't that bad in comparison to New Hope. Made it easy to see how things were, what will happen next, even the ultimate "death" scene wasn't that hard to see coming, especially minutes after the reunion. The action was great though. The shots were excellent. The CGI that was there wasn't bad or overwhelming like previous films. The movie felt right. More adventure and less politics. Thank goodness. Except I would have been okay with one scene to explain the Resistance a bit more, why are they the Resistance, they won the battle in Episode VI?

Han Solo will be missed. But were some of you actually stunned of his death? I thought it wasn't as dramatic like the famous scene between Luke and Vader. It was predictable. too many hints gave away to his timely due. It was cool though to see him and Chewy again. Ford still owned the part, but as others have discussed, it was time to move on. Ford himself was getting too old as well. Time to pass on the torch to someone else... Finn... Rey?

What I like to see next in episode VIII is keeping the action a go, more character build, less fan servicing (VII handled it), keep those witty lines coming but don't over due it, like to see a few more lighsaber battles or some big scene that leave a great mark on the film, and please do not rip of Empire Strikes Back... lets get some original story line in the next film.

Quote:
Theories outta my arse and after reading some Wookiepedia:

All B.S. I know, but if you got this far, then you're at the very least interested. Thoughts?
That is some crazy theories you got there, but I can see #2 being plausible, but some are saying Phasma is our Boba Fett. Cool villian, barely see them do squat.

Education is Important, but Race Cars are more Importanter
M-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M-17 For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (12-22-2015)