follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-07-2011, 06:20 PM   #1
iggyhop9

Drives: 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I spoke to some Toyota reps today

Not any Toyota salesmen or any Toyota employees associated with any local dealership, but independent people hired by Toyota to conduct this event. I'm in Savannah, GA and they were at our local Bass Pro Shops to conduct a consumer survey on their trucks (4Runner, Sequoia, Tundra, and Tacoma). I test drove a 4Runner and kept busy by talking to the rep while I drove. I asked him had he heard anything of the FT-86 and he said they had been briefed on it that morning because they were going to host a similar event with the FT-86 this upcoming fall. I asked him what he knew and he gave me all the obvious(RWD, co-developed with Subie, lightweight, low center of gravity, etc.). I asked him about engine choice and he said they were told by the Toyota executives that it would be NORTH of 300 horsepower, falling in line with what MotorTrend is reporting. I also didn't ask, but I assume it will be launched as a Toyota since he was speaking to Toyota execs about an upcoming Toyota product, as he described it. Anywho, finished my test drive and ran home to tell you guys about it
iggyhop9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:36 PM   #2
Franisco

Drives: D31a
AHHHHHHH SPECULATIONN
Franisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Thanks for the info, how was the new 4Runner?

As for the info, until I actually see it in real life IDK what to say.

Last edited by ichitaka05; 01-07-2011 at 07:38 PM.
ichitaka05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
iggyhop9

Drives: 2009 Toyota Camry XLE V6
The 4Runner was reallllllllly quiet. It was a loaded 4X2 Limited V6. Much more quiet than the previous gen. My sister had an 05 4Runner and the interior noise was horrible and you could really feel that it was a truck by the ride. The ride on this one had been softened up a great deal. As for the interior, it had that same center stack as the other Toyota trucks complete with nav and such. I'm not a fan of it personally. The seats felt really good and had heaters in them. Didn't look in the back or in the cargo area. The V6 was really peppy. REALLY peppy. The exterior is much improved over the last gen too, IMO. It has a much meaner look to it. This one was in a white pearlescent paint job, which I was told was an extra option on the car. Looked really good, but white's not my color of choice. I prefer a deep red or green. Overall, it's a much improved vehicle and if I was in the market for a midsized body on frame SUV, I'd look into it, especially since there aren't many BOF SUVs left.
iggyhop9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
KTB

Drives: Nissan Titan
If it were to get 300+ hp, big IF, I can see the logic there.

The Mustang- Camaro- and Genesis coupe all have 300+ hp. And the FT-86/FR-S will compete in the same price range. Though all four of them are quite diff, the basic layout of them being the same and in the same price range will cause a lot of cross shopping. I can see that happening quite a bit with the Genesis. But rivalries can be a fun thing.
KTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:38 PM   #6
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,046 Times in 8,323 Posts
Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTB View Post
If it were to get 300+ hp, big IF, I can see the logic there.

The Mustang- Camaro- and Genesis coupe all have 300+ hp. And the FT-86/FR-S will compete in the same price range. Though all four of them are quite diff, the basic layout of them being the same and in the same price range will cause a lot of cross shopping. I can see that happening quite a bit with the Genesis. But rivalries can be a fun thing.
I do love big power FR cars (like Supra), BUT I pray that this car keeps it simple and make it 200ish lightweight FR car
Old 01-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #7
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyhop9 View Post
I asked him had he heard anything of the FT-86 and he said they had been briefed on it that morning because they were going to host a similar event with the FT-86 this upcoming fall. I asked him what he knew and he gave me all the obvious(RWD, co-developed with Subie, lightweight, low center of gravity, etc.). I asked him about engine choice and he said they were told by the Toyota executives that it would be NORTH of 300 horsepower, falling in line with what MotorTrend is reporting. I also didn't ask, but I assume it will be launched as a Toyota since he was speaking to Toyota execs about an upcoming Toyota product, as he described it. Anywho, finished my test drive and ran home to tell you guys about it
I bet part of that briefing they probably handed them a copy of the Motortrend and told them to read up on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggyhop9 View Post
The 4Runner was reallllllllly quiet. It was a loaded 4X2 Limited V6. Much more quiet than the previous gen. My sister had an 05 4Runner and the interior noise was horrible and you could really feel that it was a truck by the ride. The ride on this one had been softened up a great deal. As for the interior, it had that same center stack as the other Toyota trucks complete with nav and such. I'm not a fan of it personally.

This one was in a white pearlescent paint job, which I was told was an extra option on the car. Looked really good, but white's not my color of choice. I prefer a deep red or green.
But the Tacoma chassis came from the 4runner. I have LT tires on my Tacoma w/Donahoe's and I think it rides like a Caddy! Did you try the Sequoia out?
Old 01-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRnold View Post
I bet part of that briefing they probably handed them a copy of the Motortrend and told them to read up on it!

But the Tacoma chassis came from the 4runner. I have LT tires on my Tacoma w/Donahoe's and I think it rides like a Caddy! Did you try the Sequoia out?
Yeah. These types of market research people have nothing to do with development and aren't in the know about anything. I've seen some that don't even know the cars they're presenting (similar GM thing in the summer) beyond the brochure. Just a bunch of car-wranglers with a couple memorized facts. Bet he just spouted that off to try not to look clueless.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
wow 300+ hp? that's cool and all but i would really like a lower cost n/a option.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
NESW20
2.1L 3SGTE

Drives: MR2 Turbo & Tacoma
i'll believe it if it ever happens and i drive one at a dealership on a test drive.

as far as the 4 Runner: the new ones are niiiiiiice. i'm really glad they're putting lockers in them again. and it seems they have some fancy suspension options. also, here's a fun article: http://www.fourwheeler.com/roadtests...ail/index.html
2008 Civic Si Sedan
NESW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 AM   #11
dalli

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Well he said that the guy said that it will be in north of 300 HP so expect to see 250 + HP.

I'll be waiting for fall, you better take pics XD.

thanks for the info
dalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #12
Calais

Drives: 2012 BRZ....finally
Garage
lol i just spoke to a toyota sales person who came into my work tonight looked at his car with sydneycitytoyota.com.au on the side and turned to him and asked

"are you a salesman?"

he said "yea"

so i asked "is the ft-86 coming to Aus?"

he said "ye in march" (my heart stopped! then my brain kicked in)

me "no no, not the fj the ft-86"

him "ohhh, oh yea its confirmed for 2012, but i think third or fourth quarter"

there were to many customers behind him for me to ask to many questions but im happy and fairly confident he knew what he was talking about
Calais is offline   Reply With Quote