follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
Kefuddle

Drives: Blue manual Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hood/Bonnet Lifting At Speed

Hi all,

Anybody else noticed this yet? At around 120kmh, I noticed the hood, just around the bulge, starts to lift. At 160kmh is looks quite ridiculous with, I would say, a 1cm vertical gap between the wing and the hood above the wheel arch. It is difficult to ascertain if the other side is behaving the same way, it moves but it doesn't seem by quite as much as the left drivers side.If following other traffic or during wind crosswind conditions, the hood just shakes.

I have adjusted the stops, checked the seals, all is OK. The alignment between left and right sides isn't spot on, but it isn't that bad either.

Not being able to identify anything obviously wrong with the car, on the face of it, this seems like a crass design flaw.

Looking forward to some sterling input
Kefuddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #2
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Can't say I have ever had that problem, but then again mine has not seen anything above 150. Does it lift in the middle of the bonnet?
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:20 AM   #3
Fish Eagle
Platinum Member

Drives: Toyota 86 Vortech SC
Thanked 1,021 Times in 541 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Never happened to me, but I'd be worried if it did because it might not be properly latched and pose a safety risk. IMO it's definately not right - I suggest that you take it to the dealer as a warranty issue and insist that they sort it out.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
It's normal (for a lightweight aluminium bonnet), and has been discussed in other threads. Have a search.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:11 AM   #5
Guillaume

Drives: Exige S 240
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Yeah same for me, which is quite disturbing when going 200+ kph...
Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
grodenglaive

Drives: asphalt FR-S
Garage
No lift for me at track speeds, but I have the hood struts installed. That might be a convenient and cheap fix for you.
grodenglaive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:50 AM   #7
Kefuddle

Hi RevoG,
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevoG View Post
Can't say I have ever had that problem, but then again mine has not seen anything above 150. Does it lift in the middle of the bonnet?
No, the edges, most noticeable at the top of the bulge.
Old 06-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #8
RevoG

Drives: Hot Lava 86 MT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Cant remember mine ever doing it. Maybe if I saw it...

check out www.86cult.com for other local members, we have a get together next week.
JR Supercharger, JR RS Pulley, JR Oil cooler, JDL UEL header, Dual resonated 3" JDL Overpipe Front pipe, Perrin 3" resonated cat back exhaust, Upgraded Koyorad radiator, ECUTek tune, Enkei RS05RR 18x9.5, Bridgestone RE003 265/35/18, KW V3 Coilovers, Valenti sequential taillights, Kartboy short shifter kit
RevoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 04:22 AM   #9
Kefuddle

All,

Well, I went back to look under the hood. On each side there is a wedge seal attached to the hood that sits over the headlights. I have found this seal a little curious, as it seems pretty flimsy and to my untrained eye it looks to be the wrong way around with the pointed part of the wedge facing forwards.

Anyway, I would have thought, with that orientation, with air driving inbetween the hood and lights would force a gap in the seal. Therefore it seems to me that the angled part should be facing inwards, so that the air blast forces the wedge open and stops air entering the engine bay at the point. Funnily enough, the front end has been repaired and re-painted following a pickup dropping its load in front of me on the SMBZ road one night! Did they put it back together properly? Can anybody confirm?

With that thought in mind I cut up some pieces of old bicycle inner tube and gently wedged the pieces into the seal to force it open a bit more than it would otherwise be. Went for a drive and preseto, the hood hardly moves. It still rises a bit, but a fraction of what it did before.

I think when it is in for its 7500km I'll get Mr Futtaim to take a look. Habibi fix my car!

RevoG,
I keep meaning to try and join you guys, but I work most weekends. What to do Hopefully sometime soon, I've joined your FB page. Hope to see you soon buddy
Old 06-07-2013, 05:15 AM   #10
firl21
Banned

Drives: Scion FRS in hot lava
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Had this problem once with my lexus, The hood damn near flew off at highway speed. Might be a toyota thing. Took it in, shop did something free of charge and said good to go.
firl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:22 AM   #11
ft_sjo
Banned

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
The bonnet isn't lifting. It's a very thin, lightweight component which flexes with the high pressures under it at higher speeds.

Be glad you have a lightweight bonnet. It's not a problem that needs to be fixed, unless you have OCD.
ft_sjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
Yamajee

Drives: Rocket Bunny'd GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I saw this a couple of times on really windy days and going over 130 km/h. I think it's normal for such a light hood.
Yamajee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
Kefuddle

Just a quick update. I found a distinct improvement when blocking off airflow through the gap between the headlights and hood. Further to this, I took the car to the dealer today for it's 7500km service and they said that the panels are significantly misaligned for the hood and the nose section. I have to book the car into the body shop to have this sorted out (at their cost!). I suspect that will be the fix. Watch this space.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
Black Tire

Drives: Whiteout Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Kefuddle, I think you would be interested in reading this post:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28335

Black Tire is offline   Reply With Quote