follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-09-2018, 12:52 PM   #1
Swagelz

Drives: Hot lava frs (betzy)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Toyota touch screen upgrade

Does anyone know if changing the factory base radio to the touch screen oem radio is plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Swagelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
bobxhughes

Drives: 2018 GT86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagelz View Post
Does anyone know if changing the factory base radio to the touch screen oem radio is plug and play?

Not sure on the answer to this, but if you're looking for an OEM touch screen radio, I'm going to have one available from my 2018 Toyota 86 in about a week or so when I get this new one installed
bobxhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Swagelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhughes View Post
Not sure on the answer to this, but if you're looking for an OEM touch screen radio, I'm going to have one available from my 2018 Toyota 86 in about a week or so when I get this new one installed

You have a price is mind

Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
bobxhughes

Quote:
You have a price is mind

Cheap man. Ill look around and about whatever I find I'll cut it in half. That + shipping. I gotta get this ddx918ws installed first first though. Trying to get a wiring harness from australia shipped but they're dodging emails. Probably gonna have to find a professional locally.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobxhughes For This Useful Post:
Busybee (01-31-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 01:25 AM   #5
Busybee

Drives: BRZ limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobxhughes View Post
Cheap man. Ill look around and about whatever I find I'll cut it in half. That + shipping. I gotta get this ddx918ws installed first first though. Trying to get a wiring harness from australia shipped but they're dodging emails. Probably gonna have to find a professional locally.
have you installed the ddx918sw? did you get the ready to use the harness from carbon systems or you get it installed by professional?

does everything work without a problem? thanks

Mazda 323F BA 1997 - Overseas
Mazda 323 BG 1994 - Sold
Mazda 323 BG 1991 - Sold
Busybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
bobxhughes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busybee View Post
have you installed the ddx918sw? did you get the ready to use the harness from carbon systems or you get it installed by professional?

does everything work without a problem? thanks
Yessir. The main issue was getting them to ship the harness. I had to use a third party and pay 50+ bucks to get it to the states when I just would have rather paid them 50 bucks and not go through all the hassle but they didn't care.

With that being said the install was super simple (I know nothing about installing head units) by just watching their youtube video. And I know there was an issue where the door speakers wouldn't work with this wiring harness and they claimed to have fixed it, but the issue persisted with me as my door speakers dont work. I haven't taken it to get looked at, but the factory sound is ass anyways and I plan on upgrading one day and addressing the issue then.

The head unit is insane though, and I love it.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #7
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

What year? The shape of the radios changed for later years (my '17 BRZ HU was a trapezoid not a rectangle). And I believe some of the location accessories (GPS?) are not part of the HU itself, and also may not be present in the harness in your car.
Old 02-02-2019, 05:26 PM   #8
Huevo_blanco

Drives: 89 240sx hatch and 2013 Frs
Quote:

I also would like to know if it’s plug and play ... I have a 2013 base radio and I wanna upgrade to a 2014-15 frs touch screen radio . From the picture I seen the plugs look the same but there an extra plug and I’m not sure if it will work. People say it works but I’m not 100% sure . Hopefully this thread gets more replies..
Huevo_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:28 AM   #9
ir1064

Drives: 6MT, C7P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevo_blanco View Post
I also would like to know if it’s plug and play ... I have a 2013 base radio and I wanna upgrade to a 2014-15 frs touch screen radio . From the picture I seen the plugs look the same but there an extra plug and I’m not sure if it will work. People say it works but I’m not 100% sure . Hopefully this thread gets more replies..
mine also is 2013 and i have 2017 (Toyota logo instead of Scion) touch screen install, i can confirm it's pure plug and play. USB, AUX, radio everything works. very simple swap. if you want to add backup camera that will be another story...
ir1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #10
Huevo_blanco

Drives: 89 240sx hatch and 2013 Frs
Quote:
Originally Posted by ir1064 View Post
mine also is 2013 and i have 2017 (Toyota logo instead of Scion) touch screen install, i can confirm it's pure plug and play. USB, AUX, radio everything works. very simple swap. if you want to add backup camera that will be another story...
Thank you for the reply! Last question what about the Bluetooth? Was that also just plug and play?
Huevo_blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:48 PM   #11
ir1064

Drives: 6MT, C7P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huevo_blanco View Post
Thank you for the reply! Last question what about the Bluetooth? Was that also just plug and play?
bluetooth also pure plug and play, and never have issue streaming music from iTunes, Spotify or Podcast. phone connect automatically every time i walked into my car.
ir1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 09:29 AM   #12
Swagelz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ir1064 View Post

Im sorry i haven’t open this conversation in a while but thanks so much for the reply it helps a lot

Old 06-25-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
Bowflex

Drives: Scion FR-S
Any reason why everyone is going with the OEM touchscreen radios instead of aftermarket? I haven't heard great things about the stock radio.
Bowflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:06 PM   #14
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowflex View Post
Any reason why everyone is going with the OEM touchscreen radios instead of aftermarket? I haven't heard great things about the stock radio.

Stock radio is not great, but changing it out is quirky and has issues. They don't make any units that truly fit properly for the US market, so you either have to get one that has that aftermarket looking adapter around it or order one from asia/australian that really wasn't supposed to work with out cars. As one person stated, you need to get a wiring harness from an australian company that never responds and even then it has issues. Also, the bluetooth microphone won't work anymore no matter what you change it to and all the aftermarket ones result in fuzzy phone calls. That's not even getting into the speaker/amp issues as they have a very particular setup with speaker sizes that are impossible to get and non standard ohm ratings. Everytime anyone does anything with the stereo it somehow turns into a 14 page thread of issues.
I'm sure there will be someone out there who is going to respond to this saying their aftermarket swap was super easy and great if it was, but I've seen enough go awry that I wouldn't opt for anything but factory plug n play.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-26-2019), Myriad (07-03-2019)