follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-23-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
Crb2126

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Weird vibration on my FRS

Had a hole exhaust done including header, high flow cat, over pipe and Magnaflow muffler also tuned and closed air box now I'm getting some vibrations from either the exhaust system or a heat Shield it sound like sheet metal vibrating it does it mostly at low rpms. It runs great no engine light I checked the tail pipes and the header that's all I could reach with out a hoist and they seem tight. Still has sound tube also. This sounds bad from the inside of the car and it only does it when its being driving im hoping it can't be heard by other cars but I'm not sure. Anyone in Jacksonville fl area with access to a hoist that could help me out I would be happy to pay for the time if it's your shop to fix this problem I just want to take it to some one familiar with the car. The work was done three hours from me and I'm trying to avoid a 6 plus hour round trip. Thanks Craig
Crb2126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS!

You may consider checking in over here for a lead:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

OR

do it the redneck way, jack that puppy up and with a crowbar, bend the exhaust away from things that it is coming close to hitting .......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:01 PM   #3
Crb2126

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS!

You may consider checking in over here for a lead:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13

OR

do it the redneck way, jack that puppy up and with a crowbar, bend the exhaust away from things that it is coming close to hitting .......

humfrz

I'm not sure what post your link was suppose to go to but luckily there is a neighbor that works at a tire store and is going to help me out otherwise your second suggestion might not be a bad idea. It might be easier to Crawl into a manhole and with the cover off have someone drive back a forth till I find it not the safest way but either is better than hearing the vibration all the time.
Crb2126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 08:29 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 32,202 Times in 16,572 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crb2126 View Post
I'm not sure what post your link was suppose to go to but luckily there is a neighbor that works at a tire store and is going to help me out otherwise your second suggestion might not be a bad idea. It might be easier to Crawl into a manhole and with the cover off have someone drive back a forth till I find it not the safest way but either is better than hearing the vibration all the time.
.....not to go to any specific post ....... just to direct you to post in the Southeast regional part of the forum, where the locals may be able to "give you a lift"......

It's my understanding that the clearance on the exhaust system is quite close to body parts, so, especially with aftermarket parts, and when the engine torques over ....... something may be hitting.

Back-in-the-day, most of us had no problem "adjusting" home-made exhaust systems, by bending them with crowbars or using bailing wire to wire them over. For example, putting dual exhaust on 1940's cars.

It seems today, many folks have an aversion to slightly "modifying" aftermarket stuff to "fit". Besides, ...... who is going to crawl under there to "see"..

I never thought about that manhole idea ......

Well, anyway, I hope you get it sorted out so as you can enjoy driving your car ...... keep us posted.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 09:11 PM   #5
bottle

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You might want to look at the header and how close it is to the skid plate, I know this was an issue for some headers. You can take off the plate and see if there's any scuffs.

Does the noise happen when revving out or only driving? If it happens when revving, it'd much easier to just put the car on stands than trying to get into a manhole lol.
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote