follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 02-26-2014, 03:48 AM   #29
OICU812
Just a dude

Drives: Scion FR-S 2013
Thanked 1,188 Times in 852 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Parts for engine 10k?, what?

How much is this engine new? Seriously....
Old 02-26-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
TopGearSolutions

Drives: C6 Corvette Z06
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Wow epic story!
TopGearSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM   #31
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
i would like to know how this is going to end. keep us updated
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:16 PM   #32
jhh3000

Drives: BRZ Limited 6MT
The fact that this engine might have a fundamental fault that will cause it and/or the drivetrain to seize up is really disturbing. I hope subaru / toyota figure this out. I'd also like to keep updated on this issue. (btw, did you have an automatic or manual? would you have been able to hit the clutch?)
jhh3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:34 PM   #33
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

You have to be careful comparing prices directly between the States and South Africa - we pay literally double for cars here.

To give you an idea, the base FT86 model is ~$30,000 here.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post

I'm not sure if it's actually a P/N you can order, but there is a P/N for the whole longblock. It lists at ~$7.4K here in the US.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
ZZT86

Drives: BR86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
DB - How are things going with this ? Have Toyota come to the party with a new long motor ?
ZZT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZZT86 For This Useful Post:
Luckrider (03-05-2014)
Old 03-07-2014, 12:15 AM   #36
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
It is unfortunate to hear you having this much trouble with Toyota. Perhaps their South African branch is not nearly as... understanding as the US one.

I've detailed my own engine failure experience here in this subforum, but yours makes me even more worried at the possibility of the rear wheels locking up. My second engine failure occurred during rush hour on the interstate here, that would caused a huge multi-car pile up. My car is still under 30K miles.

The dealership and Toyota have been very straightforward and helpful with me. When I had my first engine failure, they immediately replaced the small block and all bearings, gasksets, and seals. It would have easily been a $5k repair with parts and labor.

Unfortunately, my car is at the dealership as we speak due to the second engine failure which seems more catastrophic this time around.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:03 PM   #37
DB86

Drives: Toyota 86 Pearl White
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
DB86 - Did the engine blow ? If so then TSA should pull out that engine & replace it with a complete long motor with all new ancillaries controlling it to be sure. They run the risk of being sued if you have another accident caused my car/engine failure. Also I would never class a car with 300kms on the odo as new, there was most likely a fault with it since it rolled off the factory line which has caused your heartache. I'm sorry to hear of your horrible experience, persist with TSA but insist/demand the sort of action you want to happen & in a timely manner.
The engine blew. They are replacing the short block only which costs R114k. TSA really doesnt care. The service centre where I am getting my car fixed claim to still have no idea that the injector TSB exists. I had to send them an email with the TSB to prove it exists and to get the software update installed.
DB86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 07:06 PM   #38
DB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhh3000 View Post
The fact that this engine might have a fundamental fault that will cause it and/or the drivetrain to seize up is really disturbing. I hope subaru / toyota figure this out. I'd also like to keep updated on this issue. (btw, did you have an automatic or manual? would you have been able to hit the clutch?)
I had a manual. I did hit the clutch but didnt help. In under a second the car had already spun into the next lane and hit the guy passing me.
Old 03-07-2014, 07:14 PM   #39
DB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZT86 View Post
DB - How are things going with this ? Have Toyota come to the party with a new long motor ?
All I am getting is a new short block. The cheapest possible fix in their own words pretty much
Old 03-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #40
DB86

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
It is unfortunate to hear you having this much trouble with Toyota. Perhaps their South African branch is not nearly as... understanding as the US one.

I've detailed my own engine failure experience here in this subforum, but yours makes me even more worried at the possibility of the rear wheels locking up. My second engine failure occurred during rush hour on the interstate here, that would caused a huge multi-car pile up. My car is still under 30K miles.

The dealership and Toyota have been very straightforward and helpful with me. When I had my first engine failure, they immediately replaced the small block and all bearings, gasksets, and seals. It would have easily been a $5k repair with parts and labor.

Unfortunately, my car is at the dealership as we speak due to the second engine failure which seems more catastrophic this time around.
We seem to have had almost the exact same experience. Toyota techs also say it was a damaged bearing that started it and eventually wrecked the engine.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #41
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB86 View Post
Thanks. I do have the TSBs that another South African posted regarding the injector issue. I reported to both service centres that I keep getting a CEL going from 3rd to 4th. They should have picked it up from the symptoms I reported.

TSA was meant to give me a final response 2 weeks ago. I think they were going to blame me in the report from what I heard so I sent a email to them on the day with the TSB attached saying I am well aware of the issue and Toyota should have picked it up from my complaints and the P0017/19 issues I previously reported or at least called me in based on my VIN number. They then said they needed more time to investigate. Looks like they didn't even pick up that issue themselves again or they were hoping I was unaware of it.

They responded with great curiosity about how I got the TSB and said that it is a private internal document. Told them it's irrelevant how I got it and the internet is amazing. Looks like I am now forcing them to come up with another excuse why it is my fault.

I've said it before but there is not TSB, what was posted on the internet was an internal document from a very inexperienced field technician who leaked it to try to make a name for himeslef. Needless to say his little plan "back fired.:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB86 View Post
The engine blew. They are replacing the short block only which costs R114k. TSA really doesnt care. The service centre where I am getting my car fixed claim to still have no idea that the injector TSB exists. I had to send them an email with the TSB to prove it exists and to get the software update installed.

Again there is no TSB for DI injector seal failures, it is not a condition acknowledged publicly by Toyota corporation..

The may some changed to the engine calibration in Jan '14 but dealers won't flash that calibration to 2013 built cars.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib

Last edited by regal; 03-08-2014 at 04:58 AM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 AM   #42
lazyluka

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I just thought I would chip in. I am not an expert on this topic, I just want to let you know about what I have been told.

If you go after them and you win, chances are your insurance company could come back after you. Why? If you knew about the possible issue and still drove the car while you thought it wasn't road legal this is a breach of insurance conditions and you should not have been driving it.

Now in your case, you are kind of safe from this, because you thought it was repaired, but you being "smart" could put you back into the above category. Just be aware of this because this could mean you loose all the $$ you spent on the car and have to pay for everything (including 3rd party) out of pocket.

Regarding the car company, no one likes being told how to do their job and big corporations seem to be the worst. Remember their customer base in the last few years have been driving Priuses not petrol heads driving sports cars, this makes things harder for the enthusiast.

I don't think the dealers aren't to blame (entirely) in cases like this, even from your story I feel like the dealers were/are trying to be helpful, but you can only do so much because all warranty claims have to be approved by the head office.

Anyway best of luck, sorry if I came off rude or anything, hope you get it sorted
lazyluka is offline   Reply With Quote