follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #29
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ PwR View Post
I am running coil-over setup with adjustable camber plates. I know the Vorshlag added a degree of caster which you cannot adjust, how's the car feel ? Did it improve reducing understeer ? How's the tire wear at the fronts ?

Thanks in advance !
All the vorshlag stuff I've used has had limited caster adjustment, which makes me not a fan of their stuff. Fine if everything matches but I'd prefer the ability to make caster match
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #30
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_Adam View Post
Our plates will work with OE struts, but not OE springs. However we are exploring oe spring mounting options.
OK, so if not with OE springs, then I guess not with RCE Yellow springs either. Hrmmm...it doesn't seem like there's an option available for me right now for a camber plate that works with the stock struts and Yellow springs, and won't raise ride height.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #31
GC_Adam

Drives: '08 Impreza, 03 SV1000S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus29 View Post
OK, so if not with OE springs, then I guess not with RCE Yellow springs either. Hrmmm...it doesn't seem like there's an option available for me right now for a camber plate that works with the stock struts and Yellow springs, and won't raise ride height.
Yes, you are correct GC camber plates will not work with RCE yellow springs, but they do work with OE struts.
GC_Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #32
GC86

Drives: Ft86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I will answer your questions in reverse order.

Quote:
I can't really tell from the pic, but how can these work with the stock struts...where's the top spring perch?
The pic is of an aftermarket spring perch for coilovers set into a stock upper mount.
The GC camber/caster is also a coilover spring perch for comparison.

There are no stock upper perches in that pic. GC is making street Camber/Caster plates also (not just a different perch) that will fit stock springs.

The GC coilover camber/caster plates fits the stock strut with a coilover conversion kit, but not stock diameter springs.

The thinking this is: Street springs need street camber/caster plates. Coilover springs need coilover camber/caster plates.

Quote:
So do these plates actually lower ride height?
Top mount camber/caster plates can lower the ride height. But the main reason is have suspension travel after you lower the car, or at least not lose as much.

Quote:
If so, by how much?

It relates directly to where the GC spring perch is compared to what you have now.

If the GC perch is higher up in the car than another perch, you will have more suspension travel with GC at the same ride height.

The amount would be the distance between the two. (assuming similar shaped perches which these all are)

Quote:
Link to more pics/info/price please.
Not done yet. Everything has already been sold as a kit. The street plates will be a month or so maybe.
GC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GC86 For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (03-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #33
wootwoot

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Sorry if this is off topic: Are camber plates good/safe for a daily driver/occasional track day car? Looking to adjust camber and maintain as much clearance as possible.
wootwoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #34
Supermassive

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootwoot View Post
Sorry if this is off topic: Are camber plates good/safe for a daily driver/occasional track day car? Looking to adjust camber and maintain as much clearance as possible.
I'll try to explain this as best I can.

Camber plates typically use what is called a pillowball mount. All that means is that the weight of the car is supported by a ball that the shaft of the coilover is bolted through, you can see it on the pics of the Vorshlag earlier in the post. This mounting solution has alot of benefits such as, better suspension operation because there's no slop in the mount, its very rigid. You also get the adjustability, which is the point of the camber plate. You get better feel from the suspension because its translating the forces of the suspension to the chassis instead of a rubber mount. That being said you get some downsides too. Pillow balls are noisy, as in you hear the bumps in the road as well as feel them. The ride is quite a bit harsher, not "I cant live with it" harsh, but you'll cringe every time you hit an unseen bump and your girlfriend will probably complain about it (if you have one .

I daily drive my car and I have the Vorshlags, KW V3's, and lower profile tires on my car. It's way too fun not to.
Supermassive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:54 AM   #35
Figo

Drives: Vortech Supercharged FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Will Vorshlags mount lower the height? I just order KW V3, and dont want drop more than 1 inch.hah.

Thanks

Screen=PROD&Store_Code=EM&Product_Code=A1-1600-02&Category_Code=VORSHLAG-CAMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
I'll try to explain this as best I can.

Camber plates typically use what is called a pillowball mount. All that means is that the weight of the car is supported by a ball that the shaft of the coilover is bolted through, you can see it on the pics of the Vorshlag earlier in the post. This mounting solution has alot of benefits such as, better suspension operation because there's no slop in the mount, its very rigid. You also get the adjustability, which is the point of the camber plate. You get better feel from the suspension because its translating the forces of the suspension to the chassis instead of a rubber mount. That being said you get some downsides too. Pillow balls are noisy, as in you hear the bumps in the road as well as feel them. The ride is quite a bit harsher, not "I cant live with it" harsh, but you'll cringe every time you hit an unseen bump and your girlfriend will probably complain about it (if you have one .

I daily drive my car and I have the Vorshlags, KW V3's, and lower profile tires on my car. It's way too fun not to.

( White Tiger ) - FiGo's 車誌.
Figo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Vorshlag plates raise the height of the car a little bit due to their design. It means you need to lower the lower spring perch to compensate for the extra height which reduces shock travel.

I recommend the HVT, Hotchkis, GC, or if you can wait the Raceseng ones since they do not raise the height and in some cases give travel back.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
Figo (09-25-2013)
Old 09-25-2013, 03:37 PM   #37
tonystewart

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Raven
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
HVT

Does not increase ride height

There is not any additional noise, vibration or harshness, none.
May'12 AT Raven, OFT V2, Perrin IntakeTube, Pulley & Overpipe,HKS Snorkel,FA20 EL Header,Nameless Frontpipe w/ Helmholtz, Crawford AOS, Cusco O2W Cooler, Grimmspeed Strut/MC Brace, Winjets w/D2S 3.0 HID by Illuminating Lighworkx, Fogs w/EU Stalk, LED's, JDM UnderPanels, Diffuser, Rigid Collars, Whiteline, HVT Camber Plates, Koni's, Swift Springs, GTSpec LCA, SPC Toearms, DBA 4K T-Slot Rotors, Ferodo DS2500, Vorshlag BrakeLines, MichelinPSS, 5Axis Wing, Raammat, Ensolite, JPM Coachworks, OEM+Ref400, 20mmspacers, TOMS
tonystewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:58 PM   #38
fstlane

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonystewart View Post
HVT

There is not any additional noise, vibration or harshness, none.
Agreed, I'm very happy with mine as well. I was expecting some increase in NVH but was pleasantly surprised when there was none. I highly recommend the HVT plates!
fstlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #39
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwx View Post
Vorshlag plates raise the height of the car a little bit due to their design. It means you need to lower the lower spring perch to compensate for the extra height which reduces shock travel.

I recommend the HVT, Hotchkis, GC, or if you can wait the Raceseng ones since they do not raise the height and in some cases give travel back.
Look, I agree that those options give extra "travel" but I have been running KW's on my car with the Vorshlags for about 17k miles and have never...I mean absolutely never bottomed the things out and I've done some very creative driving on occasion. Unless you plan on rally driving your FR-S those recessed camber plates are really only necessary for more low.

That said, I really, really, like RaceSeng's design for the camber plates but the other options look rather meh in comparison to my Vorshlags or the RaceSeng.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:23 PM   #40
neurokinetik

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermassive View Post
Look, I agree that those options give extra "travel" but I have been running KW's on my car with the Vorshlags for about 17k miles and have never...I mean absolutely never bottomed the things out and I've done some very creative driving on occasion. Unless you plan on rally driving your FR-S those recessed camber plates are really only necessary for more low.
Bottoming out is not the only reason why more travel is better. Staying off of the bumpstops is an additional benefit, and can increase front grip, especially if you are trying to brake and corner at the same time.
neurokinetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 04:36 AM   #41
Supermassive

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurokinetik View Post
Bottoming out is not the only reason why more travel is better. Staying off of the bumpstops is an additional benefit, and can increase front grip, especially if you are trying to brake and corner at the same time.
The bump stops on my KW's have never been hit is all I'm saying. People can buy what they want, but the KW's and Vorshlags work perfectly together I am running lower than stock height by probably an inch and a half as the 18" wheels take up some of the wheel well gap Any lower and I have to run extra camber to get the rubber to fit...I prefer about 1.5 degrees of front camber 2 degrees if I want to really push it beyond that I'm just shredding tires unnecessarily.

In the rear I am dropped about 2 inches and camber is corrected to an at best 1 to 1-1/2 degrees which still results in tires getting uneven wear due to the added stress of having to contend with my turbo...I'm on my 3rd set of rears in 18k miles fun...but expensive I cant imagine how much worse it would be with 350+WHP...

I am partial to the Vorshlags because they were the only option available when I bought my KW's...about a month after the FR-S came out. So as they have been on my car longer than most people have owned their FR-S/BRZ maybe I am biased.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #42
f0rge
head of infinite swagger

Drives: 2013 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Garage
Those HVT plates look really slick, I'm also looking for something that'll work with stock struts but aftermarket springs (Eibach Sportline).
2013 Ultramarine FR-S 6MT - Car Journal - SOLD
2004 AlpineWhite M3 6MT - SOLD
f0rge is offline   Reply With Quote