follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #43
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Yup. That's all there is to it.
Oh my god.....why couldn't the damn Firestone guy just do that real quick.....My damn car was already on the lift.....that @jamal guy was right omg lol. I'm praying they get my alignment right when I go back there.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:39 AM   #44
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Oh my god.....why couldn't the damn Firestone guy just do that real quick.....My damn car was already on the lift.....that @jamal guy was right omg lol. I'm praying they get my alignment right when I go back there.
lol, I'm sure a bunch of us were scratching our heads.

Live & learn
Old 03-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #45
Alltezza

Alright got another update.

So I provided them with these instructions, tell me what you guys think of the comment(I honestly don't know what that means.... explain like I'm 5 I thought you adjust camber with camber plates?) about the negative front camber. From the looks of it, it looks he pretty much got close to where I wanted to be A different guy did it this time.

Tell me what you guys think.

Heres the before.

And here's my after/current. The only question I have is that, my before alignment settings(The one above) are different than my previous post after it got aligned the first time, is it not supposed to stay the same?
(http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22)

Last edited by Alltezza; 03-01-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Added more Info.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:19 PM   #46
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
What's up with your rear toe
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:02 PM   #47
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Alright got another update.

So I provided them with these instructions, tell me what you guys think of the comment(I honestly don't know what that means.... explain like I'm 5 I thought you adjust camber with camber plates?) about the negative front camber. From the looks of it, it looks he pretty much got close to where I wanted to be A different guy did it this time.

Tell me what you guys think.

Heres the before.

And here's my after/current. The only question I have is that, my before alignment settings(The one above) are different than my previous post after it got aligned the first time, is it not supposed to stay the same?
(http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=22)
maybe the tech did not realize that you had top mounts to adjust settings. another method to adjust camber is at the hub where some coilovers have a "slotted" top hole, (alternatively, many people use 'camber bolts' for adjustments at the hub):

seeing as they were able to get the after to -2.1, i assume they figured out you had adjustable top mounts.

your settings may have changed from the previous time if the suspension had "settled" a little after having been driven around for a bit (i.e. your coilovers were brand new and you had the car aligned immediately after install the first time).

looks like they got lazy with the rear toe and said good enough once it was "within range."

i'm not a big fan of the 'lifetime' alignments, but i did not have the greatest experiences with them.
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:11 PM   #48
Alltezza

Oh my god...I just looked at the sheet when @Lust was like Whats up with that rear toe and I noticed how much a difference it is from the left and right side...... .13 difference

How hard is it to do an alignment? Can I just go under my car and fix it myself or is it a lot harder than that? I honestly want them to do it since I just threw 200 bucks at these guys.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:39 PM   #49
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Can I just go under my car and fix it myself or is it a lot harder than that?
It is harder than that, I guarantee you will make it worse.

You can absolutely do it yourself without spending money on tools, but it takes a lot of time, precision and patience.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 08:11 PM   #50
nocoolname

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
To me, it looks like the firestone guys are kind of lazy. Next time ask them if any of their guys are certified by Hunter since they're using their machine.

On the difference of toe, looks like suspension settled. If one was toe out and the other was toe in then the alignment guy wasn't paying attention and pulled on the rack a bit crooked.

With the note on saying the top strut bolt hole needs slotted, sounds like he's just going by the recommendations from the alignment machine and either didn't mess with or didn't even look at the top hats. I'll throw my car on the rack this weekend just for curiosity on what Hunter recommends for adjusting camber
nocoolname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:01 PM   #51
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
It is harder than that, I guarantee you will make it worse.

You can absolutely do it yourself without spending money on tools, but it takes a lot of time, precision and patience.
I wonder if I have enough battery life and card space to try to catch the whole process... I'll be going under this weekend, full balance and alignment. I can't wait. And I spent a little money on tools, but it'll pay for itself in the next year, two at most. If I don't hate myself too much first.

I did get a set of initial measurements before I started swapping parts and found some slightly unexpected numbers on camber, especially in the back. I have a sneaking suspicion on why, which makes me glad I got the equipment to do this myself... These lovely alignment sheets I see sure help me feel slightly better.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #52
jamal

Drives: Legacy GT
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lust View Post
What's up with your rear toe
The numbers are green so it's fine!
jamal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamal For This Useful Post:
asdf (03-02-2017), strat61caster (03-01-2017), Ultramaroon (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:17 PM   #53
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I wonder if I have enough battery life and card space to try to catch the whole process... I'll be going under this weekend, full balance and alignment. I can't wait. And I spent a little money on tools, but it'll pay for itself in the next year, two at most. If I don't hate myself too much first.

I did get a set of initial measurements before I started swapping parts and found some slightly unexpected numbers on camber, especially in the back. I have a sneaking suspicion on why, which makes me glad I got the equipment to do this myself... These lovely alignment sheets I see sure help me feel slightly better.
Make sure your floor is level or you get some way to have the car level or you'll get incorrect camber measurements, we were seeing +0.2 degrees on one side and -0.2 on the other, so bang on perfect without leveling the car was 0.4 difference left to right.

And the rear toe links need to be torqued to like 75 ft-lbs, I was under torquing mine and they were slipping on me most of last year.

I pretty much budget at least half a day to measure and tweak something and then measure it again. That's the advantage of those fancy alignment racks, they can tweak while measuring and knock it out in an hour or so.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
cjd (03-02-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #54
Lust

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Tech would probably respond, "but its in spec" lmao
Lust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:26 PM   #55
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal View Post
Old 03-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #56
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Make sure your floor is level or you get some way to have the car level or you'll get incorrect camber measurements, we were seeing +0.2 degrees on one side and -0.2 on the other, so bang on perfect without leveling the car was 0.4 difference left to right.

And the rear toe links need to be torqued to like 75 ft-lbs, I was under torquing mine and they were slipping on me most of last year.

I pretty much budget at least half a day to measure and tweak something and then measure it again. That's the advantage of those fancy alignment racks, they can tweak while measuring and knock it out in an hour or so.
I'll be starting by rechecking the leveling... It'll be as close as a digital level and a laser level can get me.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-02-2017)