follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2015, 08:57 AM   #155
Alltezza

Drives: WRB Limited BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jawn View Post
Gotcha. Probably not my thing, then. I'm not big on drone, and I probably should have a stealthier setup living where I do.
Yeah I'd say look into the Perrin or Invidia Q300. I'll provide more updates as I keep driving.
Alltezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #156
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Gotcha. Probably not my thing, then. I'm not big on drone, and I probably should have a stealthier setup living where I do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
LOL I don't think I'm the right guy to ask about loudness. The Invidia N1 and Gruppe UEL actually doesn't bother me at all. The drone is there at 2.5-4K RPM and after driving it for 30 minutes to work this morning. It doesn't bother me at all.

The only thing I noticed is that there's little to no drone when just driving around the city, but when I'm on the interstate going 70-80 to work there is that constant drone that may or may not bother you. For me I either listen to my car sing or just blast music.
Also I would like to point out that I'm 22 years old so that could be a huge factor as to why this doesn't bother me...maybe I'm just young LOL.

When I have a friend with me in the car I noticed that I had to talk a little bit louder but other than that it's not that much of a big deal. At least to me it's not. This is also just first impressions so far, maybe down the road I might be like "Alright this is wayyy too damn loud" but I don't think that'll be the case for me....I hope not at least lol!

Now my friend had an S2000 with the Invidia N1 on it and he couldn't stand it because of the drone. He said it sounds AMAZING when he gets on it but the drone with the commute going back and forth to work was not doing it for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltezza View Post
Yeah I'd say look into the Perrin or Invidia Q300. I'll provide more updates as I keep driving.

yup, N1 you'll have drone for sure.
Resonated Perrin, Q300 or Ark Grip is what you want.
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:14 PM   #157
Alltezza

Alright so after driving my car to work for a couple days, I think the reason why the sound didn't really bother me so much was because I had that "excitement" and "WOW" effect still going on.....and then I woke up at 4AM to go to work.

So I drive about 30 minutes to work and when I go 80mph my RPM is perfectly at 3500.....that's when the car drones the LOUDEST if you ask me. So I tried using cruise control it helped a little bit, but DAMN that shit is loud!

It's not unbearable or anything to me but if there's something I can do to fix it or alleviate it I'll try it out, I know if anyone rides with me he/she is probably have a hard time talking to me LOL.
I'm about to give this DIY sound tube generator a shot and see if it does anything.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72263

So yeah if you guys really don't like drone, its present in 3-4K RPM and its pretty loud so I'd recommend going with a Perrin or Invidia Q300 I don't know anything about ARK but if @Shutter recommends it give the ARK a shot too.

In the city or when I'm not on the interstate staying at 3-4KRPM the car is actually pretty damn quiet lol and all you'll hear is that sexy boxer rumble. I love this setup I think this made me love my car a lot more than I already do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-19-2015), continuecrushing (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #158
continuecrushing

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Thanked 2,144 Times in 1,003 Posts
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
@Alltezza Get rid of the sound tube thing! I don't actually know what it does since it was the first thing removed from my car after getting home from the dealership lol.

It certainly won't hurt to remove it though, plus its weight reduction! Who needs noise pumped into our cabin when the car is already loud lmfao
continuecrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to continuecrushing For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (10-19-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 05:01 PM   #159
Alltezza

Got more news!

I bought the ECUTEK cable and dongle from someone here.

And I ordered the Stage 2 NA tune from Delicious Tuning on Friday. I was expecting to get it, you know much later. So after sleeping in on Sunday after working 12 straight hours. My phone goes off and I check my email. I swear I thought I was dreaming but then I saw the email from Zach and BAM my ass woke up.

I gotta say I got the tune first thing in the morning....I'm 2 hours ahead of California so I got it at 12 or 1PM. I don't know what time they open or start working but that's pretty damn early, So yeah big shoutout to @sales@delicioustuning.com

I haven't really driven the car much yet to give a good review or impressions yet so I'll be back to provide another update.
The Following User Says Thank You to Alltezza For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #160
tracerit

Drives: '13 SSM BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Does anyone have the Perrin resonated catback and this header? THe last few posts mention there's no drone, but I'm not sure if that's word of mouth or from actual experience. If it's actual experience, then I think I'm going to try this header out.
tracerit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #161
Alltezza

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerit View Post
Does anyone have the Perrin resonated catback and this header? THe last few posts mention there's no drone, but I'm not sure if that's word of mouth or from actual experience. If it's actual experience, then I think I'm going to try this header out.
FT86speedfactory has a lot of PERRIN videos that you can check out
Old 10-24-2015, 02:03 AM   #162
jawn

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,757 Posts
Mentioned: 105 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Finally got around to installing it.

The good: came with new gaskets, and new fasteners for the overpipe.
The bad: my friends and I stopped a few times for beer. Ended up taking a few hours. Also discovered that the floorjack does not provide nearly enough lift to comfortably work under this car.

Flashed to an OFT Stage 2 map. Header provides much rumble, but the overall noise level with the factory overpipe/front pipe/catback is very, very mild. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the headers. I'll keep an eye on my data logs over the next few days and hope that no leaks present themselves.

Now it's time to figure out if I want to do a catback, or leave the stock one in place.
jawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jawn For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (10-24-2015), Michael (10-24-2015), Mr.Impreza (10-25-2015)
Old 10-24-2015, 03:12 AM   #163
mikool

Drives: 14' Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Finally got around to installing it.

The good: came with new gaskets, and new fasteners for the overpipe.
The bad: my friends and I stopped a few times for beer. Ended up taking a few hours. Also discovered that the floorjack does not provide nearly enough lift to comfortably work under this car.

Flashed to an OFT Stage 2 map. Header provides much rumble, but the overall noise level with the factory overpipe/front pipe/catback is very, very mild. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the headers. I'll keep an eye on my data logs over the next few days and hope that no leaks present themselves.

Now it's time to figure out if I want to do a catback, or leave the stock one in place.
Keep in mind also that the sound changes for the next 100 or so miles due to break-in factor and ECU learning. Mine got a lot quieter after full break-in. Maybe it won't change much for you since you have factory op/fp/cb.
mikool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #164
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikool View Post
Keep in mind also that the sound changes for the next 100 or so miles due to break-in factor and ECU learning. Mine got a lot quieter after full break-in. Maybe it won't change much for you since you have factory op/fp/cb.
Yeah, I doubt it'll get much louder or much quieter with the factory OP/FP/catback. Did a 50 mile drive today, and everything seems to be in order. There is much burbling.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:36 AM   #165
Plxdjake89

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S-white out
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah, I doubt it'll get much louder or much quieter with the factory OP/FP/catback. Did a 50 mile drive today, and everything seems to be in order. There is much burbling.
Just pick up a muffler delete, you should be good to go with the UEL headers and that right there bud.
Plxdjake89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 02:46 AM   #166
jawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plxdjake89 View Post
Just pick up a muffler delete, you should be good to go with the UEL headers and that right there bud.
Don't know how you jumped to that conclusion from that quote.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:47 AM   #167
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plxdjake89 View Post
It's going to be ridiculously loud if you do.
If that's what you want, then go for it.

My uel sounded great with the Perrin 2.5" catback.
Old 11-15-2015, 02:51 AM   #168
Strife26

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Series.blue
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I just installed the gruppe uel today. It's insanely loud. I thought my spec - d /Nvidia n1 was loud buy omg... With full catless it's soooooo loud

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Tags
gruppe, gruppes, header, uel, unequal length