follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
86SPEED
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
bfrank1972
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Location: Westport,CT
Posts: 1,252
Thanks: 301
Thanked 605 Times in 380 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Let's not forget noise- FRS will never ever sound as good as that gt3 howl.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
burnt toast (10-03-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #16
WolfpackS2k
Senior Member
 
WolfpackS2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Drives: '06 Cayman S, '92 DB GS-R, '15 TDI
Location: NC
Posts: 1,766
Thanks: 1,435
Thanked 768 Times in 441 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Snooze
1/ No. I wasn't aware of such a thing as track insurance. Certainly in Australia it doesn't exist.
2/ I guess you haven't seen exotica being poorly driven. Like many people you only see the capability of the car. It is the car and driver that makes a car fast. At the Porsche track days I have attended I am faster than the majority of Porsches. The rear bias weight doesn't make up for the fact that the owner's can't/won't drive.
I guess this post was deleted? Either way I'll reply.

1) Track insurance doesn't exist in Australia? If so, why/how? Is there some law forbidding people from insuring themselves or items for specific activities? Not saying you're wrong but I find that extremely difficult to believe.

2) What does an exotic car being driven poorly have to do with the physical performance limits of said car? Absolutely nothing. I've smoked Gallardos and GTRs at the track in my S2000. Made them disappear in my rear view mirror. Did I come out of that experience thinking my car was superior to those cars in any way? Nope.

FRS/BRZ is an amazing platform, but let's try to control the koolaid drinking around here eh?
__________________
'06 Porsche Cayman S
'13 SWP BRZ-L - Innovate Stage 1, Nameless over & down pipes, RevWorks UEL Header - RIP, claimed by VIR T10

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member
WolfpackS2k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #17
Turbowned
Senior Member
 
Turbowned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Drives: BRZ 6MT, MK1 MR2 5MT, Audi RS6 5AT
Location: Vernon, CT
Posts: 4,990
Thanks: 1,932
Thanked 1,907 Times in 1,126 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Let's not forget noise- FRS will never ever sound as good as that gt3 howl.
Yes, it's so intoxicating! Even my stock Carrera S exhaust note is leagues ahead in the sound department, compared to the "petrol exploding in a tin box" sound of the FA20. Nice little motor but leaves a lot to be desired in the sound department. I think the FA20 needs more in the induction noise department than anything. The Porsches maintain a sort of unsophisticated growl that is sadly lacking in so many other sports cars.
__________________

2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S - 355bhp
2003 Audi RS6 quattro - 450bhp
2013 Subaru BRZ Limited - SOLD
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:06 PM   #18
bfrank1972
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Location: Westport,CT
Posts: 1,252
Thanks: 301
Thanked 605 Times in 380 Posts
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Yes, it's so intoxicating! Even my stock Carrera S exhaust note is leagues ahead in the sound department, compared to the "petrol exploding in a tin box" sound of the FA20. Nice little motor but leaves a lot to be desired in the sound department. I think the FA20 needs more in the induction noise department than anything.
Hah I wouldn't say it's THAT bad Put a Greddy SP Elite on mine and it has a nice low thrum that actually reminds me of a modern 911 at idle and very low speed. It sounds pretty good to me, but nothing like a 911. I still miss my old 1973 911S, I ran it down the street with the intake box off, glorious air-cooled sound with 6 throttle bodies/mechanical fuel injection winding 7300 rpm!
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
Turbowned (08-19-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #19
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 11,138
Thanks: 6,910
Thanked 10,486 Times in 5,039 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Only the 991 GT3 is PDK only. I'm fairly certain it wasn't even an option for the 997 GT3.

All you guys talking about being worried about the cost of crashing one at the track...ever heard of this thing called track insurance?

And sorry, but no FT86 will ever be able to match the braking capabilities of the GT3 due to its engine placement.

Not
Gonna
Happen

;-)


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Challenge accepted
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (09-30-2015), Tcoat (08-24-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 04:52 PM   #20
flais
Band
 
flais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 27
Thanks: 41
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
I think you're right; perhaps the OP is referring to the 991.
Yes I have fixed the thread title. Very controversial!
flais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 07:18 AM   #21
Alphard
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Australia
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks to OP for the comparison. Definitely one of my dream cars!

To the OP and anyone else who has driven a GT3, how does the fun factor and feel of the twins compare?
Alphard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:53 AM   #22
Captain Snooze
Because compromise
 
Captain Snooze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Drives: Red Herring
Location: australia
Posts: 4,756
Thanks: 2,270
Thanked 4,203 Times in 1,984 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
I guess this post was deleted? Either way I'll reply. [1]

1) Track insurance doesn't exist in Australia? If so, why/how? Is there some law forbidding people from insuring themselves or items for specific activities? Not saying you're wrong but I find that extremely difficult to believe. [2]

2) What does an exotic car being driven poorly have to do with the physical performance limits of said car? Absolutely nothing. I've smoked Gallardos and GTRs at the track in my S2000. Made them disappear in my rear view mirror. Did I come out of that experience thinking my car was superior to those cars in any way? Nope. [3]

FRS/BRZ is an amazing platform, but let's try to control the koolaid drinking around here eh?
1/ Astute observation. I deleted my post because I realised my half baked argument didn't have a lot of merit but it was replied to before it was deleted.
2/ My mistake. I based my premise on normal car insurance that excludes track day activities. I didn't realise there was a separate class of insurance for one's track car.
3/ I do not know how the braking between my BRZ and a GT3 compares from the sort of lowish speeds I see at the local track. 991 GT3 1425kg no driver, my BRZ 1260 kg with driver and Kumho V710.
__________________
My car is completely stock except for all the mods.

Captain Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Snooze For This Useful Post:
WolfpackS2k (08-24-2015)
Old 08-24-2015, 10:06 AM   #23
Tcoat
White Knight Squad
 
Tcoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Location: London, Ont
Posts: 42,635
Thanks: 38,885
Thanked 58,396 Times in 26,286 Posts
Mentioned: 1606 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
Saw an 89yr-old guy auto-x'ing his 996 C4S (very slowly), made me happy that he was still out there giving it his all, though.
Did he leave his turn signal on?
__________________
Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar, because Racecar.
Tcoat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:11 PM   #24
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 11,138
Thanks: 6,910
Thanked 10,486 Times in 5,039 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphard View Post
Thanks to OP for the comparison. Definitely one of my dream cars!

To the OP and anyone else who has driven a GT3, how does the fun factor and feel of the twins compare?
I have a fair amount of seat time in the 991 GT3. What exactly do you want to know?

Once you get over the difference in power, and the fact that it just has more grip (larger, stickier tires, 4 wheel steering), the ultimate fun factor is much lower for me:

- If I wad one up, it's a much more expensive car
- I can't spend as much time exploring the limit because the car spends less time there, because it's faster.
- GT3 owners are much less willing to do irreversible modifications to their cars. The ones that are usually buy CUPs anyways.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #25
Alphard
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Drives: BRZ
Location: Australia
Posts: 8
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I have a fair amount of seat time in the 991 GT3. What exactly do you want to know?

Once you get over the difference in power, and the fact that it just has more grip (larger, stickier tires, 4 wheel steering), the ultimate fun factor is much lower for me:

- If I wad one up, it's a much more expensive car
- I can't spend as much time exploring the limit because the car spends less time there, because it's faster.
- GT3 owners are much less willing to do irreversible modifications to their cars. The ones that are usually buy CUPs anyways.
That's exactly the kind of reply I was after Mike Thanks as always.
Alphard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM   #26
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 11,138
Thanks: 6,910
Thanked 10,486 Times in 5,039 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphard View Post
That's exactly the kind of reply I was after Mike Thanks as always.
virtually every GT3 owner will disagree with me, but I find the ND Miata more satisfying to drive.

Now the GT4.... I need to get my hands on one of those. As strange as it sounds, I find no shortage of GT3/GT3RS seat time, but I can't get any GT4 seat time for the life of me.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ATL BRZ (10-01-2015)
Old 09-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #27
caliprep
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Drives: 2015 FR-S
Location: LOS ANGELES
Posts: 76
Thanks: 30
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I have a fair amount of seat time in the 991 GT3. What exactly do you want to know?

Once you get over the difference in power, and the fact that it just has more grip (larger, stickier tires, 4 wheel steering), the ultimate fun factor is much lower for me:

- If I wad one up, it's a much more expensive car
- I can't spend as much time exploring the limit because the car spends less time there, because it's faster.
- GT3 owners are much less willing to do irreversible modifications to their cars. The ones that are usually buy CUPs anyways.
Interesting, thanks for your insight.

While on the subject of expensive sport cars, has anyone got the chance to track a GTR? I wonder if the fun factor is about the same or better than a 911.
caliprep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #28
CSG Mike
 
CSG Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: S2000 CR
Location: Orange County
Posts: 11,138
Thanks: 6,910
Thanked 10,486 Times in 5,039 Posts
Mentioned: 809 Post(s)
Tagged: 13 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by caliprep View Post
Interesting, thanks for your insight.

While on the subject of expensive sport cars, has anyone got the chance to track a GTR? I wonder if the fun factor is about the same or better than a 911.
It's an oversized evo.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to me 85.5 Porsche 944 Chad11491 Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 24 07-20-2015 04:18 PM
HOT Porsche Rampage Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 7 02-28-2015 06:42 PM
Porsche 718 tahdizzle Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 32 10-21-2014 03:21 PM
Porsche 718 PPX Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions 1 07-11-2014 12:53 PM
Porsche 930 cv's? Crazy Drew Engine, Exhaust, Transmission 6 03-17-2014 11:51 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.