follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #1
86Craze

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Track pad selection.

Hello. I have done several autocross events on my stock brakes and they performed fine.
I am going to venture out to the track for the first time. I would like to correctly match the brake pad to my cars setup.
Car has 300 wheel hp.
Lowered 1 inch on tech flex Z coil overs, TRD sway bars.
245/40/17 RE71Rs tires. Front end is at least 40 lbs heavier due to turbo kit.

I have read the track pad post that's stickied in this section. Based on what I have read I am leaning towards XP10/XP8 on stock rotors.
Would you recommend a different setup ?
Can I get away with using stock rotors with these pads ?

The car is not daily driven. I am an amateur, doing this for the thrills.
Thank you for your time.
86Craze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Yes you can use stock brakes and pads. Many people have. Zero problems.... well noobs usually wear out their brakes cause they forget to turn off the nannies ( aka, no pedal dance)

But if you feel that buying track pad would do you good, there is no harm in that too.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ac For This Useful Post:
86Craze (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:54 PM   #3
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Were you braking hard enough to activate ABS at the autox course? If yes go for the pad upgrade to XP10's, if not it might be a waste early on but you'll be able to grow into the pads, maybe XP8's will be a better place to start if you're not comfortable braking at the limit yet. Hell my first ever track day was fine on a totally stock brake system, I faded the pads and boiled the fluid on my second day.

I switched to XP10 on my third track day and I think they're a great starter pad. Get the same pad front and rear, measure the rotors, if they're above minimum thickness you'll be fine, if they're close to the limit order a new set. So that means measure them in time to get a replacement for the track day. But the rotors are stout as fuck, don't be surprised if there's lots of life in them, especially on a newer car. Don't worry about swapping rotors specifically for pads and all that other stuff slap 'em in and go run 'em, they'll stop just fine to get you to the track, they'll be loud but on the way home they'll be great until the transfer layer wears off. I swapped back to street pads after the event because I couldn't keep the XP10's bedded in, others can but I was fine with the extra work and did not track enough to justify leaving them in.

Do a brake fluid flush as well, Motul RBF600 or 660 to be safe.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
86Craze (10-23-2017), OND (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
OND

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Im on XP10s front and back with stock power and 215-45-17 300tw tires, so I'd say go with XP10s at least, but it all depends on the driver.

I'd say for track use, stock rotors + XP10 pads + RBF600 is a good starting point.

Edit: Aaaand everything I had to say was already mentioned. Oh well

Last edited by OND; 10-23-2017 at 05:12 PM. Reason: ..
OND is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OND For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #5
86Craze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Yes you can use stock brakes and pads. Many people have. Zero problems.... well noobs usually wear out their brakes cause they forget to turn off the nannies ( aka, no pedal dance)

But if you feel that buying track pad would do you good, there is no harm in that too.
Thanks for your response. I don't think my stock brakes can handle the current power level. I am doing pads and lines/fluid at the least.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #6
86Craze

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Were you braking hard enough to activate ABS at the autox course? If yes go for the pad upgrade to XP10's, if not it might be a waste early on but you'll be able to grow into the pads, maybe XP8's will be a better place to start if you're not comfortable braking at the limit yet. Hell my first ever track day was fine on a totally stock brake system, I faded the pads and boiled the fluid on my second day.

I switched to XP10 on my third track day and I think they're a great starter pad. Get the same pad front and rear, measure the rotors, if they're above minimum thickness you'll be fine, if they're close to the limit order a new set. So that means measure them in time to get a replacement for the track day. But the rotors are stout as fuck, don't be surprised if there's lots of life in them, especially on a newer car. Don't worry about swapping rotors specifically for pads and all that other stuff slap 'em in and go run 'em, they'll stop just fine to get you to the track, they'll be loud but on the way home they'll be great until the transfer layer wears off. I swapped back to street pads after the event because I couldn't keep the XP10's bedded in, others can but I was fine with the extra work and did not track enough to justify leaving them in.

Do a brake fluid flush as well, Motul RBF600 or 660 to be safe.

Based on your response I think I will go with the xp8. I am not after setting personal records yet. I want to get acquainted with the cars setup at the track. I won't be driving the car in the limits until I can dial in the suspension and alignment a bit more. I am starting from scratch. Thanks for your response.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Craze View Post
I won't be driving the car in the limits until I can dial in the suspension and alignment a bit more. I am starting from scratch. Thanks for your response.
There's nothing to dial in on the suspension and alignment if you're not driving at the limit.

You shouldn't be upgrading the brake pads because of the car, you should be upgrading the brake pads based on your skill level. Drivers who are fast and use the brakes hard will be on XP12's on stock power while you're not even using XP8's to their capacity with whatever horsepower you have.

The XP8's sound like a good fit, maybe a bit overkill but you'll hopefully grow into them. Get a baseline setup, a sport-street alignment from a reputable local shop, ask some local track day goers where they take their cars, have the dampers set to be comfortable during street driving and don't touch it while you get maximum seat time, if you're having problems have someone experienced ride with you or review video and ideally data if you have it before you go changing the car.

What us amateurs 'feel' is the problem is typically not the problem.

Read this if you haven't, if you have read it again.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25485

Post future questions here and if you have the time read as much of this thread as you can, there's lots of great info in here.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38926

Starting from scratch every single lap has the opportunity to be a personal best
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
EndlessAzure (10-23-2017), Icecreamtruk (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 06:45 PM   #8
86Craze

A big part of the problem is that autocross doesn't call for having to slow down from high speeds. Stock brakes are sufficient for 50-20 but I will most certainly cook the pads at higher speeds.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Quote:
A big part of the problem is that autocross doesn't call for having to slow down from high speeds. Stock brakes are sufficient for 50-20 but I will most certainly cook the pads at higher speeds.
Depends on how fast you're trying to go, I've faded street pads on an 86 and boiled OE fluids on a Mini while autox-ing.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:56 PM   #10
Cartman

Drives: 10 Series Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

What??? Zero problems?

My first time as the track I faded the pads in 2 laps... I would not advice stock pads at the track, ever.

In regads to OP, you could try ferodo DS2500, they are a street/track hybrid pad and good for begginers.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cartman For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (10-23-2017), Teseo (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 08:19 PM   #11
ApexEight

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT SSM
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
What??? Zero problems?

My first time as the track I faded the pads in 2 laps... I would not advice stock pads at the track, ever.

In regads to OP, you could try ferodo DS2500, they are a street/track hybrid pad and good for begginers.
Yeah I thought stock pads are a no-go for any track use, with or without the pedal dance?

Power Stop Track Day pads are an affordable solution. I haven't used them, but I've heard good things. I've got a buddy who ran Road Atlanta with them on his relatively stock twin and they held up fine, and RA is a fast track. Corvette guys seem to like them too.
ApexEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #12
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

Have you... driven a car with 71R?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hello. I have done several autocross events on my stock brakes and they performed fine.
I am going to venture out to the track for the first time. I would like to correctly match the brake pad to my cars setup.
Car has 300 wheel hp.
Lowered 1 inch on tech flex Z coil overs, TRD sway bars.
245/40/17 RE71Rs tires. Front end is at least 40 lbs heavier due to turbo kit.

I have read the track pad post that's stickied in this section. Based on what I have read I am leaning towards XP10/XP8 on stock rotors.
Would you recommend a different setup ?
Can I get away with using stock rotors with these pads ?

The car is not daily driven. I am an amateur, doing this for the thrills.
Thank you for your time.
300whp and 71R? You definitely need race pads, even for a first day.

Don't stagger the pads. All you do is shift your bias unnecessarily, making the braking system work harder.

Stock rotors are fine.

Go with G-loc R10 front/rear. Same as XP10, but cheaper.

PM me to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Cartman (10-23-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #14
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman View Post
Many track newbs don't even get the brakes warm on their first day. And if they never go past 2-3 events it'd be a waste of a few hundred bucks. And that's in anything from an '89 Miata to a C7 Corvette.