follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 02-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #799
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisdrgn View Post
Welp, looks like I know what tool I'm getting next cuz I'm going to "need" it. =)
I was thinking the same thing. He just cost me money because I HAVE to have one!
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:56 PM   #800
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplink View Post
I was thinking the same thing. He just cost me money because I HAVE to have one!
Look at it this way: I just saved you guys money since now you don't have to buy multiple sets of long needle nose pliers, multiple trips to the auto parts store and time wasted struggling with the hose clamp like I did.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
aegisdrgn (02-18-2016), CSG Mike (02-17-2016), Uplink (02-21-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 PM   #801
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
As annoying as I find vlogers (this particular guy I find slightly less annoying, but I admit, I feel a little miffed that he ended up with an E-force, but hey, welcome to the club!) but I can't help but share his giddy excitement and reaction to the impressive Edelbrock facility.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwf3QQkA9L8"]Picking up my Supercharger from Edelbrock - YouTube[/ame]

If anything, for those potential/current owners who have not/could not go to the factory tour, the first half of the video pretty much sums it up.
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:24 PM   #802
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
Unfortunately some people are not on the forum, but I'll ask them to post.

My standard test is to go from 2-3k RPM at 20-30% throttle. If you go up a hill while doing this it will allow the logs to capture the event for a longer period of time. Looking at my logs you can see what I was doing and what the vehicle speed was. I'm usually in 3rd or 4th gear to make the problem more apparent in the logs. The trouble spot goes by faster in 1st and 2nd but is still very apparent there too by feel.

Mine usually starts out with an Advance Multiplier of 1 and normal Ignition Timing, but after a spirited run or two or maybe just driving around for 30-40min it will start misbehaving... although sometimes it just does it right off the bat from startup.
This sounds very similar to a problem I once had (different car) where the wiring harness would short out under load... Sometimes. Took forever to track it down. I paid good money to a shop for nothing (4hrs trying to reproduce) and eventually discovered it later by accident when, in frustration, I threw my gloves down in just the right spot to trigger the issue. 2 minutes later I had the wire patched and tied out of the way.

An electric issue might also relate to the connection issues... A sensitive device might not like odd issues from shorts or a bad connection, and based on the earlier cell-phone being plugged in failure, this seems a sensitive system.

I'm probably totally off base but it seems it might be time for anything even remotely plausible...

I'm only here because I don't need to spend any more money on my car and I wanted to read how miserable life is with boost.

C

Last edited by cjd; 02-18-2016 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Manually correcting autocorrect...
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-19-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 01:55 AM   #803
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I'm still testing tunes and logging. Making some progress in smoothing out the power band. I did have a strange thing happen tonight during logging. My exhaust cam stayed at -1 for about 15-20min of driving, never moving during all kinds of load points. Power was way down during that time, but everything else was smooth. Anyone ever see that? Seems like maybe a problem with the cam sensor/actuator/electronics? Just guessing...
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:37 AM   #804
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86fun View Post
I'm still testing tunes and logging. Making some progress in smoothing out the power band. I did have a strange thing happen tonight during logging. My exhaust cam stayed at -1 for about 15-20min of driving, never moving during all kinds of load points. Power was way down during that time, but everything else was smooth. Anyone ever see that? Seems like maybe a problem with the cam sensor/actuator/electronics? Just guessing...
Is that the 1st 15 minutes or so? The exhaust cam doesn't activate until a few conditions are met and one of those is at standstill and in neutral so if you're continuously driving from startup there's a chance it won't have become active. If not then it's worth a look, but as above if you're having electrical gremlins then the logs could show some odd stuff.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:24 AM   #805
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
This sounds very similar to a problem I once had (different car) where the wiring harness would short out under load... Sometimes. Took forever to track it down. I paid good money to a shop for nothing (4hrs trying to reproduce) and eventually discovered it later by accident when, in frustration, I threw my gloves down in just the right spot to trigger the issue. 2 minutes later I had the wire patched and tied out of the way.

An electric issue might also relate to the connection issues... A sensitive device might not like odd issues from shorts or a bad connection, and based on the earlier cell-phone being plugged in failure, this seems a sensitive system.

I'm probably totally off base but it seems it might be time for anything even remotely plausible...

I'm only here because I don't need to spend any more money on my car and I wanted to read how miserable life is with boost.

C
To clarify, the cell phone situation is somewhat similar to yours. There were a lot of pre-installed accessories before the car came to CSG for the install, and some of these accessories were hot-wired into the electrical system, causing a permanent draw on the battery.

Many, many hours later, repairs were made to some partially damaged wiring, the hot wired electronics removed, a new ECU, and the car is now running. However, we're still working on getting it back up to 100%. Electrical stuff is a nightmare.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:26 AM   #806
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
Is that the 1st 15 minutes or so? The exhaust cam doesn't activate until a few conditions are met and one of those is at standstill and in neutral so if you're continuously driving from startup there's a chance it won't have become active. If not then it's worth a look, but as above if you're having electrical gremlins then the logs could show some odd stuff.
I'm not 100% sure on what exactly it requires, but I have seen cam timing become active while on the highway. Other times, I've driven cars with a fresh flash for a few hundred miles with the cam timing still locked to -4 to 2 (not active). I haven't found a firm pattern yet...
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:37 AM   #807
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'm not 100% sure on what exactly it requires, but I have seen cam timing become active while on the highway. Other times, I've driven cars with a fresh flash for a few hundred miles with the cam timing still locked to -4 to 2 (not active). I haven't found a firm pattern yet...
As far as I can tell, oil temp (30C IIRC), O2 sensor readiness and being at idle and at 0 speed have consistently been trigger points. Coolant temp may also be a factor. I can drive for 5-10 minutes with AVCS inactive and then stop and it immediately starts working. I've logged some long drives without stopping and the AVCS has stayed inactive the whole journey.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #808
NotSoJDM

Drives: '13 BRZ | '04 E55
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
As far as I can tell, oil temp (30C IIRC), O2 sensor readiness and being at idle and at 0 speed have consistently been trigger points. Coolant temp may also be a factor. I can drive for 5-10 minutes with AVCS inactive and then stop and it immediately starts working. I've logged some long drives without stopping and the AVCS has stayed inactive the whole journey.

I have been pretty fortunate with AVCS activation on the BRZ. It is usually active by the time I leave my neighborhood after a flash.

My STI was terrible about taking forever to activate AVCS after a flash though. I had times, similar to what you describe, where it would remain inactive for the better part of a 15minute drive trying to get a log.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NotSoJDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:11 AM   #809
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
[IMG][/IMG]

i've got mine i will install it by the end of february and dyno it first week of march
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paulo86 For This Useful Post:
BigFatFlip (02-19-2016), CSG Mike (02-19-2016), itsibarra (02-19-2016), MaximeT (02-19-2016), NotSoJDM (02-19-2016), Silverfox (02-20-2016), Summerwolf (02-26-2016), toast (02-19-2016), Uplink (02-21-2016)
Old 02-19-2016, 08:44 PM   #810
86fun

Drives: 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Thanks for confirming guys. I had just flashed a new tune, and I was driving the car fairly easy until the end, and eventually it did switch on, probably when I came to a brief stop at a stop sign or something. I'll chalk it up as a fluke, it's funny I never noticed it before.

By the way, I also got a new ECUTek cable from Edelbrock and it is working a lot better than the old one. It still disconnects but now it's 100% related to moving the connector around during logging, which can be dealt with. The other cable seemed to just disconnect randomly.

I think I may be getting close to a final tune, fingers crossed.

I do have one more unexplained behavior I've noticed with the new setup. Sometimes if I shift from 1st to 2nd at or near redline the throttle goes dead, even when depressed fully it does nothing and the engine drops to idle. If I fully release the throttle and then press again it picks back up normally. Anyone have that happen before? Is this because the new tune is using the throttle to cut the engine off at the limiter? So far it has only happened about 1/20 times, but super scary when it happens because for a split second I think I killed the engine!
86fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 12:52 AM   #811
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
Look at it this way: I just saved you guys money since now you don't have to buy multiple sets of long needle nose pliers, multiple trips to the auto parts store and time wasted struggling with the hose clamp like I did.

You had me at the picture of a new tool.

But seriously, thank you for the tip. Probably best to install them both at the same time but at least it can be done later if needed.
Old 02-21-2016, 01:08 AM   #812
Uplink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

Would that explain why sometimes making a quick lunch run at work the car (stock tune) feels a little underpowered? (Nobody make the 'it's always underpowered joke', serious question.)