follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 07-06-2016, 11:57 PM   #1457
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT86Asia View Post
hey Guys,

Keeping the updates coming on my side as well.

Saw several posts about the exhaust and loss of hp.....yeah that was my car, they say my exhaust is too big, 3" from header to tip with straight pipe. And they told me Im loosing like 25 hp because there isn't enough backpressure cuz of the large exhaust i got. We still have tiny little engines at the end of the day.

Anyway, update on first oil change. Had been running the factory oil until I hit 3,500 miles. Once i drained the factory oil, it was BLACK and smelled like TOXIC waste, haha. Oh, and it was super liquidy, basically water. Yeah I had driven the car like 15 minutes before.

So all went fine, and I went with a thicker oil 5-40w.

This writeup is to update on how the car feels with the new oil.

So i drove my car with the 0-20w oil and the edelbrock SC for 2,400 miles, and after changing the engine oil there were some interesting differences that were very noticeable.

1st, the car revs smoother than before. Its something I can feel, cant really explain it, but since I've been running on the thicker oil, hard acceleration and so on, is completely smooth, no choppiness of any kind, which I would get before on 0-20w.

2nd, and this to me is the most important one. Before, It was very noticeable that the car's performance would fluctuate throughout the day. Mornings and evenings, the car seem powerful, while at noon the car lacked that violent punch when accelerating.
After I changed to 5-40w, the is no noticeable performance fluctuation, it takes off as hard no matter what time of the day it is.

And I've come to realize that there should be a good explanation for this.

I believe, that by installing FI on our car, this will by definition creat more heat in our cars. Some people decide to add an oil cooler, or swap a larger radiator. While these two are different routes, the objective is the same, trying to reduce the extra heat that our cars are creating because of FI.

Now, talking about oils, while 5-40w may not for everyone, it is also a fact that 5-40w oil has a higher heat capacity than 0-20w oil.
Based on this fact, there can be a case made so as to say, the increased heat in our engines caused by FI makes the factory 0-20w oil hotter than if our cars were stock. Based on this we can see that 0-20w oil struggles to keep the optimum temp and thus visocity inside the engine if they now make much more heat than before. As a result, to cope with this added heat it's reasonable to switch to a thicker oil that will help keep the added heat in check because of its higher heat capacity as compared to 0-20w oil.

So, in conclusion is if you are FI in our platform, I recommend you switch to a thicker engine oil.

Now, I'm in SoCal, and it doesnt get super cold here. So, I can get away doing this year long, but if you live up north where it snows, then this oil will probably not really be for you, since in the cold winter, you might have to warm up your car for like an hour, hahha, if it starts! so that you can get to operating temps.

Alright, here are some pics, enjoy!
The factory fill 0W20 is... not the best. Try using a top shelf 0W20 next change
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
GT86Asia (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 01:16 AM   #1458
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
For those of you with pcv cans, did you use the stock pcv hose to route to the top of the can or did you find some way to use the edelbrock supplied line?
I didn't want to cut the edelbrock supplied line so I requested Saikou Michi to supply me with some metal adapters/connectors and extra hose to just "add" to the existing set-up.

Quote:
Oh, and it was super liquidy, basically water...
Typical 0w-20, specially when hot. I've also found (on subaru's I've owned at least) that these boxer engines drain super fast.

Quote:
1st, the car revs smoother than before. Its something I can feel, cant really explain it, but since I've been running on the thicker oil, hard acceleration and so on, is completely smooth, no choppiness of any kind, which I would get before on 0-20w.

2nd, and this to me is the most important one. Before, It was very noticeable that the car's performance would fluctuate throughout the day. Mornings and evenings, the car seem powerful, while at noon the car lacked that violent punch when accelerating.
After I changed to 5-40w, the is no noticeable performance fluctuation, it takes off as hard no matter what time of the day it is.
Interesting findings. I would hazard a guess that the improvements are partly due to it being the factory fill/old oil as well, so any new oil may have improved the fluctuations in performance.

Quote:
So, in conclusion is if you are FI in our platform, I recommend you switch to a thicker engine oil.
I wouldn't quite say "being FI" warrants switching to thicker oil. Its all dependent on your use and environment. Sure, excessive heat, which causes oil to thin out, leads to pressure drop, which causes problems during hard driving. On the other hand, thick oil on cold (street) cars never get up to temp and send the oil pressure sky rocketing, which can lead to premature wear.

I would say check your oil temps and pressures during use, whether it be on the street, twisties or the track, and make your decision based on that. I daily my car, regularly take it to the canyons and track once in a while and I've been happy with 0w-20+oil cooler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The factory fill 0W20 is... not the best. Try using a top shelf 0W20 next change
^This
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
GT86Asia (07-07-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #1459
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the comments guys! I really appreciate it.

Yeah I'll keep an eye on those parameters, just to know for sure.

Cheers!!
GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #1460
shiumai

Drives: 2013 DGM BRZ, 2020 C8 Corvette
Thanked 1,893 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin86 View Post
For those of you with pcv cans, did you use the stock pcv hose to route to the top of the can or did you find some way to use the edelbrock supplied line?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Here's how I did my radium

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=64

Last edited by shiumai; 07-08-2016 at 05:20 PM. Reason: typo
shiumai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shiumai For This Useful Post:
Carlos_M (08-31-2016), Colin86 (07-07-2016), taiguy (07-08-2016)
Old 07-07-2016, 03:21 PM   #1461
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiumai View Post
This is a MAJOR help, and is exactly how I think I'll be doing it. Huge thank you!

Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Colin86 For This Useful Post:
shiumai (07-07-2016)
Old 07-08-2016, 05:05 PM   #1462
parkthetiger

Drives: 2014 Forester XT, Porsche 944
Curious about the oil cooler dilemma, seems like the JR radiator/oil cooler is cooking the intake and there isn't enough room in the right fog light area because of the pump. Saw this on Blitz' instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBq3Tt_u6Pr/

Anybody try this out yet?
parkthetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM   #1463
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkthetiger View Post
Curious about the oil cooler dilemma, seems like the JR radiator/oil cooler is cooking the intake and there isn't enough room in the right fog light area because of the pump. Saw this on Blitz' instagram:

It does not fit.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:06 AM   #1464
azynneo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

looks exactly like my car.. without the front beam
azynneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 12:52 PM   #1465
Infinity

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:

Where did you see there is an issue with the JR radiator/oil cooler and intake temps on the Edelbrock?
Infinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:12 PM   #1466
parkthetiger

Drives: 2014 Forester XT, Porsche 944
Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat07 View Post
I did this as well. The first thing I noticed was major power loss delivered from the engine. I thought I messed up my MAF position and went to my tuner to have it checked out, but then discovered that the tune was fine and the IATs were through the roof. My IATs went from 115 degrees to 145 degrees. I think it's because the radiator isn't ducted the way the oem one was.

I just put some foam weather stripping around the radiator today and plan on testing it out. To see if that helps.

I think this big bad radiator is heating the air in the engine bay more than the oem one did due to its increased cooling capacity and the intake was sucking air from the engine bay around it following the path of least resistance.

The airbox was also very hot to the touch after a little bit of driving so I may end up heat shielding the whole intake right up to the pulleys.

EDIT:
Also I will be testing it out at Roebling Road Raceway June 4th and 5th so I'd like to compare results with you. I won't be able to log it, just take measurements at the conclusion of each run.

I had the line kink issue as well, we had to massage it to get them to not kink the same way you did.

We also reused the OEM cap because the Jr cap didn't fit properly.
parkthetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 12:56 AM   #1467
Silverfox

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ, Edelbrock SC, E-85
BRZ is going in Tuesday to Infamous for an ACE header install and a delicious tune. Now Considering this D Box as well! Stoked.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Silverfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #1468
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Just received my new header, it's not the same i see on the picture when i order ... maybe mxp did a change to get more power ..

I've already seen on this thread that some people had trouble with this type of header and the edelbrock.

I will see if it's fit ..

I also received my new cat back !

Will keep you update and i will go to the dyno asap !

Edit : okay i got it ! I order the el 4 2 1 header and i got the 4 in 1 ! Hope it will make poweeeer ^^

Last edited by Paulo86; 07-11-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:06 PM   #1469
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
Just received my new header, it's not the same i see on the picture when i order ... maybe mxp did a change to get more power ..

I've already seen on this thread that some people had trouble with this type of header and the edelbrock.

I will see if it's fit ..

I also received my new cat back !

Will keep you update and i will go to the dyno asap !

Edit : okay i got it ! I order the el 4 2 1 header and i got the 4 in 1 ! Hope it will make poweeeer ^^
Wow, do you mean this is the new Long tube Nameless header?

The one we have is a 4-2-1 setup, yours is just straight from 4-1 setup

If this is the new one, this might actually clear the edelbrock air intake setup!

Let us know!!

Not sure what this new 4-1 setup will do to sound and power though.

GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:11 PM   #1470
Reamer

Drives: 2015 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow, do you mean this is the new Long tube Nameless header?

The one we have is a 4-2-1 setup, yours is just straight from 4-1 setup

If this is the new one, this might actually clear the edelbrock air intake setup!

Let us know!!

Not sure what this new 4-1 setup will do to sound and power though.

He has the MXP header + OP combo.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
Reamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reamer For This Useful Post:
GT86Asia (07-11-2016), Silverfox (07-11-2016)