follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
BT, dpfarr

Old 06-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #1443
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
I'm curious to know more about the car. I assume the green dyno is stock+SC, and red is SC+mods. Blue seems high for stock.
If you look a page back, he was trying to figure out a problem with the exhaust. I'm guessing blue is stock, red was the original SC pull and green was after the exhaust issue?

My neck is starting to hurt...

edit: nevermind, @Paulo86 reposted below
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigFatFlip For This Useful Post:
Paulo86 (06-30-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #1444
Paulo86

Drives: Toyota GT86 euro version
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo86 View Post
Hi ! Some feedback on my car ...

I gutted the header 'cause of one shit ! I will start with this shit.

After i had install the edelbrock on my stock exhaust except agency power cat back i dyno it to 296hp (crank) (195 stock same dyno) i thought that my exhaust was to loud ! That was a shitty mistake !

I told myself to do something : making an axleback with a varex silencer and right single exit.and bolt it to the stock mid pipe

Take time, made plans, weld it like i want and put it on the car.
First time i drive it i noticed a little lose of power and no more sound going out of the car (open varex or not) not as much i want. Drive it like that, do some pulls.

And i decide to go to an invidia catless Front Pipe to put more sound out of this exhaust.
When i remove the stock front pipe a found pieces of the first cat in the second. At this time i didn't know that all this shit happens 'cause of my cat back set-up ...

I just put the new front pipe and decide to go for a ride see if the first cat will die or not, and booom 3 miles later no more power, go back to house and i "gutted" the stock header.

For sure, there were more sound, and horsepower were back. In my mind, because of the sound more agressive i thought the car were working better.
Took it to the dyno two days ago and what i got ? 249 HP :'( ....

Man at the dyno told me there were so much pressure in my exhaust something wasn't normal ... their big vacum or gaz absorber don't know how to name that in english, just fall down ! He told me it has never done that before !
he doesn't take a lot of time to understand where were goes all those Horses ! Just take a look under my car, see what i've done, immediatly told me that my exhaust for my kind of setup was horribly bad !

See the picture you can see that exhaust gaz was slow down by a lot of turn of the stock mid pipe and the axleback, single exit with 2.1" diameter ... he told me that my exhaust was pretty good done but will work on an NA car not one like me ..
This setup created a lot of heat, back pressure, pressure in the exhaust and i think that's why i kill my cat ...

We tested everything on the dyno, afr, supercharger pressure, no leaking ... curve where the same but down low. Pressure was damn not normal at the end of the exhaust. So we were absolutely sure that it's the exhaust that cause troubles ...

My exhaust was not the best you can do, bad axleback, shitty stock mid pipe, gutted header (just remove the cat in ..)

So there it goes, i go back to an other setup :
Mxp header EL
Mxp over pipe
Invidia catless front pipe
Greddy revolution rs 3" left single exit

Just spoke with zach at delicious tuning. He had something similar with the e-force, two cars, same setup but one with header stock and the other not. Stock header was making more power 25more ! Dafuck ?! There is something i don't understand here .. hope that my new setup will give me back my HP and maybe give me an extra bunch ! I know that i lose much more than the car zach dyno because of my BAAAD exhaust setup.

I will give you some info as soon as i put on my new exhaust and i dyno it.
Just oredered at ft86speedfactory 1hour ago my new greddy 3"cat-back and my MXP header+OP combo.
Dhl express, normaly 4-5 day to france.

Hope everything will return to normal ... bad mistake i've done here ...
If any body had problems with header just let me know ...

Re post for the people who doesn't read
Paulo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 06:20 PM   #1445
Paulo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatFlip View Post
If you look a page back, he was trying to figure out a problem with the exhaust. I'm guessing blue is stock, red was the original SC pull and green was after the exhaust issue?

My neck is starting to hurt...

edit: nevermind, @Paulo86 reposted below
Exactly i post some info on the curve page before !
Old 06-30-2016, 06:46 PM   #1446
sw20kosh

Drives: 2013 Black FR-S
Thanked 2,014 Times in 990 Posts
Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Did you make sure to let the cams activate after flashing the tune? You can be down 30% of power if the cams are not active when you dyno. It takes 30-60 sec for cams to come online after a reflash.

Also I remember that I lost a ton of power (~20 hp) when I gutted my stock cat in the header when I was turbocharged.
Old 06-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #1447
Paulo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20kosh View Post
Did you make sure to let the cams activate after flashing the tune? You can be down 30% of power if the cams are not active when you dyno. It takes 30-60 sec for cams to come online after a reflash.

Also I remember that I lost a ton of power (~20 hp) when I gutted my stock cat in the header when I was turbocharged.
No reflash only dyno. I was driving like that for 3 weeks ...

It's an exhaust problem ! I will keep you update with the new result after my new exhaust
Old 07-01-2016, 01:26 PM   #1448
FuzzyFunk

Drives: FRS Monogram
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Might be old news already, but heard that Edelbrock passed emissions testing. Official announcement from them should be coming soon! Woohoo!!
FuzzyFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FuzzyFunk For This Useful Post:
itsibarra (07-01-2016)
Old 07-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #1449
BigFatFlip
sleep, drive, eat, repeat

Drives: '13 BRZ, '12 Outback
Thanked 3,796 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFunk View Post
Might be old news already, but heard that Edelbrock passed emissions testing. Official announcement from them should be coming soon! Woohoo!!
BigFatFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:08 PM   #1450
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hi ! I will repost my problem.

Red line is stock exhaust except agency power cat back.

Green is supercharger + shitty exhaust !

Blue is stock with k&n drop in air filter and agency power cat back with stock tune !
We are runing here 98ron octane gas in france, maybe its why we have a little bit more. I'm also using a french anti-friction product that you put in oil and i dyno this product on Harleys we were capable of +6%HP and torque at third oil change with the product ! It takes time to be in place. 2 to 3 oil change with each time product in new oil. It's called Mecacyl.

Everything you want to know just quote me !
Is it a MOS2 type lubricant?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #1451
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyFunk View Post
Old 07-01-2016, 05:56 PM   #1452
Paulo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Is it a MOS2 type lubricant?
They call that hyper lubricant !

I don't have an oil cooler, and with this product i never go up 220°F !

http://www.mecacyl.com

It takes 2 oil change to be 100% in place
Old 07-01-2016, 06:46 PM   #1453
CSG Mike

Quote:
They call that hyper lubricant !

I don't have an oil cooler, and with this product i never go up 220°F !

http://www.mecacyl.com

It takes 2 oil change to be 100% in place
What if you sit in 2nd gear at 7000 RPM for 60 seconds?
Old 07-01-2016, 06:57 PM   #1454
Paulo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
What if you sit in 2nd gear at 7000 RPM for 60 seconds?
I need to try ^^
Old 07-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #1455
Colin86

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
For those of you with pcv cans, did you use the stock pcv hose to route to the top of the can or did you find some way to use the edelbrock supplied line?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Colin86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:29 PM   #1456
GT86Asia

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hey Guys,

Keeping the updates coming on my side as well.

Saw several posts about the exhaust and loss of hp.....yeah that was my car, they say my exhaust is too big, 3" from header to tip with straight pipe. And they told me Im loosing like 25 hp because there isn't enough backpressure cuz of the large exhaust i got. We still have tiny little engines at the end of the day.

Anyway, update on first oil change. Had been running the factory oil until I hit 3,500 miles. Once i drained the factory oil, it was BLACK and smelled like TOXIC waste, haha. Oh, and it was super liquidy, basically water. Yeah I had driven the car like 15 minutes before.

So all went fine, and I went with a thicker oil 5-40w.

This writeup is to update on how the car feels with the new oil.

So i drove my car with the 0-20w oil and the edelbrock SC for 2,400 miles, and after changing the engine oil there were some interesting differences that were very noticeable.

1st, the car revs smoother than before. Its something I can feel, cant really explain it, but since I've been running on the thicker oil, hard acceleration and so on, is completely smooth, no choppiness of any kind, which I would get before on 0-20w.

2nd, and this to me is the most important one. Before, It was very noticeable that the car's performance would fluctuate throughout the day. Mornings and evenings, the car seem powerful, while at noon the car lacked that violent punch when accelerating.
After I changed to 5-40w, the is no noticeable performance fluctuation, it takes off as hard no matter what time of the day it is.

And I've come to realize that there should be a good explanation for this.

I believe, that by installing FI on our car, this will by definition creat more heat in our cars. Some people decide to add an oil cooler, or swap a larger radiator. While these two are different routes, the objective is the same, trying to reduce the extra heat that our cars are creating because of FI.

Now, talking about oils, while 5-40w may not for everyone, it is also a fact that 5-40w oil has a higher heat capacity than 0-20w oil.
Based on this fact, there can be a case made so as to say, the increased heat in our engines caused by FI makes the factory 0-20w oil hotter than if our cars were stock. Based on this we can see that 0-20w oil struggles to keep the optimum temp and thus visocity inside the engine if they now make much more heat than before. As a result, to cope with this added heat it's reasonable to switch to a thicker oil that will help keep the added heat in check because of its higher heat capacity as compared to 0-20w oil.

So, in conclusion is if you are FI in our platform, I recommend you switch to a thicker engine oil.

Now, I'm in SoCal, and it doesnt get super cold here. So, I can get away doing this year long, but if you live up north where it snows, then this oil will probably not really be for you, since in the cold winter, you might have to warm up your car for like an hour, hahha, if it starts! so that you can get to operating temps.

Alright, here are some pics, enjoy!
Attached Images

GT86Asia is offline   Reply With Quote