follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #57
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I buy the filter from a local Subie dealer the same day I do the oil change and use a cc for the purchase that way I have two ways to confirm the date. I figure as long as I have a firm purchase date and a consistent story I have a leg up if I need it.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:41 PM   #58
johatan25

Drives: Lightning Red BRZ - Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I was able to get them to fix it!!! Thank God!
Brand new engine in a couple of days

Mods done (RED), Mods to come(BLACK): LED Swap, GReddy SP Elite Exhaust, Leather Seats, TSW 18x8.5 + 235/35, MOTIV Over & Catless Test pipe, EcuTek 93 Octane tune, PERRIN Lightweight Pulley, PERRIN Intake Inlet + drop-in filter,, e85 fuel map, 5axis Spoiler?, Borla UEL Headers?
johatan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to johatan25 For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (11-06-2015), Lonewolf (11-06-2015), new2subaru (11-06-2015), Packofcrows (11-05-2015), Tcoat (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #59
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
I buy the filter from a local Subie dealer the same day I do the oil change and use a cc for the purchase that way I have two ways to confirm the date. I figure as long as I have a firm purchase date and a consistent story I have a leg up if I need it.
Some guy on here said he takes a pic of the oil and filer receipt beside the odometer. Always thought that was a great idea.
Clipdat (11-05-2015), Dadhawk (11-06-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 10:18 PM   #60
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by johatan25 View Post
I was able to get them to fix it!!! Thank God!
Brand new engine in a couple of days
Wow ...great news. Let us know how it all turns out!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #61
thambu19

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos View Post
Is there any general consensus about what a tune does as far as engine warranty goes.

I'm sure if you had some turbo and a shit tune they would not honor the warranty. But I'm stock and have an OFT stage 1 tune, which if anything, makes the engine safer than some of the versions of the stock tune .
@Kronos
Did you say you had an OFT tune and the dealer did not detect it? Or the dealer did not care? I have been itching to flash mine with the OFT but only reason that kept me from doing it was I thought it would void my factory warranty on my 2013 FRS. Can you shed more light?
thambu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 PM   #62
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
An update on the FA motor that my friend built is a bit of a concern.

It was decided for various reasons that the timing cover needed to come off to check something after it had been fitted .

Silastic had been applied to all surfaces including the main oil gallery from the block to the timing cover where the oil pump is located with the O'ring installed.

On removal of the timing cover it was found that the mating surfaces between the block and the timing cover for the oil gallery did not meet as NONE of the silastic was squished out from the mating surfaces if that makes sense.
It could be seen that the O'ring was only just contacting on one side by a hairline so this could be another point for oil starvation as the oil pump could possibly suck air at this point .

Will try to get some pics up if people are interested.
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #63
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post

It was decided for various reasons that the timing cover needed to come off to check something after it had been fitted .

Silastic had been applied to all surfaces including the main oil gallery from the block to the timing cover where the oil pump is located with the O'ring installed.

On removal of the timing cover it was found that the mating surfaces between the block and the timing cover for the oil gallery did not meet as NONE of the silastic was squished out from the mating surfaces if that makes sense.
It could be seen that the O'ring was only just contacting on one side by a hairline so this could be another point for oil starvation as the oil pump could possibly suck air at this point .

I think I understand what you found but pics would be great
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #64
Shibby

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam69 View Post

I had an oil leak on the bottom drivers side of the timing cover so I had the dealership fix it under warranty. This same thing ended up happening and I spun a bearing. Now the car is in the shop getting a new short block as I type this. First thing I'm doing is installing my oil cooler that I didn't get to install because it was missing the banjo fittings for the sandwich plate, THANK GOD, and I'm gonna install an Innovate oil temp/pressure combo gauge. Maybe I'll get a thermostatic oil sandwich plate too. Here's hoping they don't throw my Fumoto drain valve away..

Last edited by Shibby; 01-31-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #65
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
I had an oil leak on the bottom drivers side of the timing cover so I had the dealership fix it under warranty. This same thing ended up happening and I spun a bearing. Now the car is in the shop getting a new short block as I type this. First thing I'm doing is installing my oil cooler that I didn't get to install because it was missing the banjo fittings for the sandwich plate, THANK GOD, and I'm gonna install an Innovate oil temp/pressure combo gauge. Maybe I'll get a thermostatic oil sandwich plate too. Here's hoping they don't throw my Fumoto drain valve away..

Wait so you’re saying that common timing cover leak caused you to leak enough oil to spin a rod bearing? How often do you check your oil? I have this leak but it’s hardly enough to notice a loss between oil changes much less routine oil level checks. At the rate mine is leaking it would probably take years to get to a critical level.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:34 PM   #66
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Wait so you’re saying that common timing cover leak caused you to leak enough oil to spin a rod bearing? How often do you check your oil? I have this leak but it’s hardly enough to notice a loss between oil changes much less routine oil level checks. At the rate mine is leaking it would probably take years to get to a critical level.
What he says makes a bit more sense if you read the post he was referring to:

"Originally Posted by sam69

Will try to get some pics up if people are interested."

At least it did to me .....

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Shibby (01-31-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 07:43 PM   #67
Shibby

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
No, I'm saying they put too much sealant on when resealing the cover and partially blocked the oil passage. I checked my oil very often when I had the leak but it was really just a slow seep just like yours. I literally had 150 miles on a fresh oil change when it happened. I changed my oil every 3300 miles on average. The engine had 56k when it happened. NA.
Shibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 10:52 PM   #68
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
No, I'm saying they put too much sealant on when resealing the cover and partially blocked the oil passage. I checked my oil very often when I had the leak but it was really just a slow seep just like yours. I literally had 150 miles on a fresh oil change when it happened. I changed my oil every 3300 miles on average. The engine had 56k when it happened. NA.

Oh okay I’ve gotcha. Eventually I will pull my cover and repack it. Its just not leaking enough to motivate me to go through the hassle yet. I hate doing FIPG’s. Cleaning up the old mess is a pain, applying it is a pain. Bump it on install and you get to redo part of it. Ugh. At least doing it myself I will have the peace of mind knowing someone didn’t blob massive quantities of packing on it.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 12:59 AM   #69
Dammod

Drives: .
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
I took my car in to the dealers to fix my timing chain cover leak and I think this is EXACTLY what happened to me - especially since they attempted to fix it multiple times.

Around 1500 km after the last time they "fixed" it - I was driving along, and got the dreaded bearing knock noise.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:33 AM   #70
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,825 Times in 16,428 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I'm thinking that if I ever get a timing cover leak, I'm just going to tape a sponge over the leak and change it every now and then ...........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
22R (02-05-2018), strat61caster (02-01-2018)