follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2017, 03:31 PM   #127
LOLS2K
/scion

Drives: '13 86 M/T
Thanked 1,402 Times in 786 Posts
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
No where just haven't bothered log in for ever.

LOLS2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LOLS2K For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 06:38 PM   #128
Derek J

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive View Post
Missed your question, sorry about that. The tires may be like new, but they're far from great if we're talking about the original equipment, especially for the money. Michelin Primacy HPs are a Grand Touring Summer tire, meaning you get some grip, but they're intended to last a long time, and the latter is where the time and money went. They're also not intended to be used in any sort of cold or freezing temps, so winter tires are a must if you have to drive in non-summer weather like I do. If not, then just ignore that aspect. Anyway, grip and longevity are almost always opposed to each other, so you're always compromising one for the other, and more grip means your tires will need to be replaced more often. If you're ok with that, there's an epic ton of choices for you. If the car is not daily driven then they'll last you longer and it comes down to not exceeding their lifespan in years regardless of miles. 5-6 years is the most you can reasonably expect from a tire.

Michelin Pilot Sports are pretty much a go-to for a good summer tire, and something I'm considering myself once I've obliterated the Primacy set. They're on their way out of the market and being replaced by the next evolution of the tire, the Pilot Sport 4S. They may not be quite up to snuff for long periods of track duty if that's a thing you're considering, but that depends on how much you plan to do. If you'd just like a grippier tire for the road, you can't go wrong with them. Since the Pilot Sport is on its way out, you'll probably be seeing deals out there as suppliers try to unload them and make room for the PS4S.
Well you nailed that one. Those are exactly the type of Michelin's I have on my car right now. I took a ride down hwy 49 which goes from Auburn to Placerville in NorCal and is in the lower part of the Sierras. Lots of twists and turns and this car handled beautifully and the car had zero problems going up inclines. So for now I will stick with the tires I have while I work on improving other things.

Being in Cali with these shitty emission laws I was worried about replacing the headers, exhaust and front pipe but since I have 5 years before I need to smog I'm thinking fuck it. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about a dip in power between 3500 and 4500 RPMs and I've noticed a bit of that. So I would like to look into what it would take to reduce said dip.
Derek J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #129
Silver Supra
Hombre

Drives: 1994 Supra Turbo
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Get into a couple "debates" with ol @Tcoat ....... that will bring you up quickly .....

humfrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
This is the only forum I've ever done. I don't get the big deal with post counts. Who cares?
Quote:

(one more for me ..... )

humfrz
Now we are talking!
Of course, if I start an argument with @Tcoat, we are in for at least 3 more pages, right?
I will have to do that in a separate post.........
Silver Supra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Silver Supra For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-07-2017), Tcoat (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:01 PM   #130
Silver Supra
Hombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
Now we are talking!
Of course, if I start an argument with @Tcoat, we are in for at least 3 more pages, right?
I will have to do that in a separate post.........
Dang - I need to learn to stop multi-quoting!!

OK, @Tcoat -

Since you are far, far, north from me - and in a different country to boot - eh - Does your SN stand for TurnCoat!?!?!?!?!?
The Following User Says Thank You to Silver Supra For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 07:06 PM   #131
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,480 Times in 4,999 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek J View Post
I've been hearing a lot of people talking about a dip in power between 3500 and 4500 RPMs and I've noticed a bit of that. So I would like to look into what it would take to reduce said dip.
The car has 6 gears, if you use them there's no reason to try and accelerate <4.5k rpm.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #132
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Supra View Post
Dang - I need to learn to stop multi-quoting!!

OK, @Tcoat -

Since you are far, far, north from me - and in a different country to boot - eh - Does your SN stand for TurnCoat!?!?!?!?!?
Well although I am certainly north of of you almost half the USA is further than I. Not sure exactly who I would be a Turb Coat against. I am not that creative so it is actually just my initial and part of my last name.
Silver Supra (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:38 PM   #133
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,827 Times in 16,429 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well you nailed that one. Those are exactly the type of Michelin's I have on my car right now. I took a ride down hwy 49 which goes from Auburn to Placerville in NorCal and is in the lower part of the Sierras. Lots of twists and turns and this car handled beautifully and the car had zero problems going up inclines. So for now I will stick with the tires I have while I work on improving other things.

Being in Cali with these shitty emission laws I was worried about replacing the headers, exhaust and front pipe but since I have 5 years before I need to smog I'm thinking fuck it. I've been hearing a lot of people talking about a dip in power between 3500 and 4500 RPMs and I've noticed a bit of that. So I would like to look into what it would take to reduce said dip.
Oh, I'd suggest you just do most of your driving between 3500 and 4500 rpms ........ thatta way ...... you will get used to it........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Derek J (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 08:41 PM   #134
humfrz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Well although I am certainly north of of you almost half the USA is further than I. Not sure exactly who I would be a Turb Coat against. I am not that creative so it is actually just my initial and part of my last name.
OK, ....... @Silver Supra .......that didn't quite get it (although, you did have him slurring a word) ......

humfrz
Old 07-07-2017, 08:45 PM   #135
Silver Supra
Hombre

Quote:
Well, that was not much of an argument! One of us will have to do better!
Well, anyway, you are north of the better half!
Old 07-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #136
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
OK, ....... @Silver Supra .......that didn't quite get it (although, you did have him slurring a word) ......

humfrz
Nah he isn't a **** trying to tell people bullshit tech info nor a whiny entitled complainer mad because the Internet is mean to them since not everybody says good work on their dumb as idea. I reserve my debate energy for them.

In fact I think this guy may fit in nicely.
Silver Supra (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #137
humfrz

Quote:
Nah he isn't a **** trying to tell people bullshit tech info nor a whiny entitled complainer mad because the Internet is mean to them since not everybody says good work on their dumb as idea. I reserve my debate energy for them.

In fact I think this guy may fit in nicely.
Well, OK ....... I tried .......

humfrz
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 PM   #138
Derek J

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Oh, I'd suggest you just do most of your driving between 3500 and 4500 rpms ........ thatta way ...... you will get used to it........

humfrz

Douche
Derek J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #139
computeruser

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If it were mine...

First, I'd drive it. A lot. Enjoy it for what it is.

Then, I'd look at tires and brakes.

Cosmetic mods seem to me to be a waste of money - swapping good OEM stuff for often suspect aftermarket stuff (unless you spend a jimmy grip of $$$$$ on high-end pieces) seems like a foolish enterprise. All it does is make you and your car look cheap and juvenile. Who needs that?

Power mods really only make sense on a track car. Honestly, you don't even have to get close to driving these cars to 100% on the street to be looking at jail time, to say nothing for the risk of killing or injuring someone else. Sure, I bet some extra power will make you grin on an on ramp...just hope there's no cop waiting for you after you merge into traffic.
computeruser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to computeruser For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-07-2017)
Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 PM   #140
humfrz

Quote:
Douche
........ who you callen a douche !

Speaking of route 49 in CA, and douche, reminds me of one hot, loud night in August in Jackson, CA.

Me and my two buddies entered a off road rally in them thar hills. We went over the night before and stayed in the old hotel in Jackson.

It was hot, no A/C and a old time saloon downstairs, full of drunken cowboys.

Welp, my two friends got stoned and I drank the biggest part of a quart of whisky ...... warm, no mix, no ice.

At 0500 the next morning, I staggered down the hall to the only bathroom and was standing in the shower, with green slime on the floor of it, when I sensed the presence of another person in the room.

So, I opened the plastic shower curtain and there sat this very rough looking woman on the toilet ....... douching ....... she looked up and ask me if I was interested ....

THE END

humfrz
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Adam_L (07-07-2017), Derek J (07-08-2017), JD001 (07-08-2017)