follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 10-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #15
ichitaka05
Site Moderator

Drives: ichi 86 Project
Thanked 19,052 Times in 8,327 Posts
Mentioned: 677 Post(s)
Tagged: 27 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2KtoFT86 View Post
RWD is were the fun is at. AWD is just boring!! Let the ass end break loose!
I guess, you haven't see Subie rally cars. lol
Old 10-22-2009, 02:57 PM   #16
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Drives: Yamaha R3, moonslate 2018 GT Black
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
86fan i don't know where you're getting that from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Also reported on FT86club blog.

"The obvious issue is it is rear-wheel drive and quite plainly no-one is building an all-wheel-drive version at the moment so there is one key thing.
it sounds to me like no one is planning on building an all-wheel drive version, and that is why subaru of australia won't be importing the subaru version.
cyde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:59 PM   #17
FT///R86

Drives: Toyota Matrix
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
This may be alarming to people that want the AWD Turbo version. It really doesn't fit into Subaru's product line. So it might not come to the US. Toyota on the other hand need to step back into the sportcar scene. They dropped the ball and Honda with the Si, S2000, RSX-S; Mazda with the MS3, and MX-5; Nissan with the 350Z have all gotten into the sportcar niche. Although they vary from FF and FR they offer performance, somthing that Toyota let go with the Celica, MR2 and Supra. Let's face it the Corolla S, tC, xA, xB, and Yaris don't offer what the others do. Subaru will probably only offer the 086a in Japan.
FT///R86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Drives: Audi & Toyota
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyde01 View Post
86fan i don't know where you're getting that from.

it sounds to me like no one is planning on building an all-wheel drive version, and that is why subaru of australia won't be importing the subaru version.
What do mean? sounds to mean they are making an AWD version?

There are elements of that car (FT-86) that don't fit with our Subaru DNA in Australia," Senior said. "We understand that car is a global car and we will at sometime have to sit down and think about how it fits in terms of all-wheel drive and some other things.

"But where I sit today it doesn't fit and it would be a brave decision to take it. At the moment I would say we are unlikely to see it as a Subaru.

"The obvious issue is it is rear-wheel drive and quite plainly no-one is building an all-wheel-drive version at the moment so there is one key thing.

"We have hung our hats on all-wheel drive for nearly 12 years now, so why would we step away from something that has been ultra-successful for us and given us the highest share of any major Subaru distributorship in the world?"
86Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:00 PM   #19
S2KtoFT86
Resident Post Whore

Drives: 2022 WR BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichitaka05 View Post
I guess, you haven't see Subie rally cars. lol
No I haven't. I'm merely basing my opinion on the fact that I get more of a thrill out of driving my S than I've gotten driving multiple friend's Evo's, Sti's, etc. That's just me though.

S2KtoFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #20
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

It just sounds to me is that the toyo version won't be rebadged as a subaru in Australia at least but subaru could have their own version with awd since nobody is making it.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:11 PM   #21
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Fan View Post
What do mean? sounds to mean they are making an AWD version?

huh? the guy in the article plainly said NO ONE IS BUILDING AN ALL-WHEEL DRIVE VERSION, that's why they're not gonna bring it to australia. why would that make it sound like they're making an AWD version when they just said they aren't?
Old 10-22-2009, 03:15 PM   #22
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Quote:
huh? the guy in the article plainly said NO ONE IS BUILDING AN ALL-WHEEL DRIVE VERSION, that's why they're not gonna bring it to australia. why would that make it sound like they're making an AWD version when they just said they aren't?
at the moment though cause this car is coming out in 2 years. AWD could come at a later date to satisfy at least the Australian market.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:20 PM   #23
JDMinc

Drives: IS300
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86Fan View Post
at the moment though cause this car is coming out in 2 years. AWD could come at a later date to satisfy at least the Australian market.
But from the spypics/videos it's clear that Subaru is testing/developing their version right now. And if this guy is saying that there's no one building an AWD version right now, then what we are seeing in those pics/video is a RWD Subaru. I could be wrong, but I doubt they'd develop a RWD version now and then an AWD version later?
JDMinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

I have been saying they could be testing the rwd version right now and at a later point test the awd version. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:35 PM   #25
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

exactly. why would they develop a rwd version now and awd later? this is speculation, but if there were any future plans to build an AWD version i think this guy would know about it, seeing as he already knows that toyota is considering a convertible and high powered version in the future. it just sounds like he's closing the door pretty hard on bringing the subie version to australia, and his reasoning is that there is no AWD version. so he probably has an idea that there's not gonna be an AWD version in the future.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:42 PM   #26
cyde01
ft86club resident b-boy

seeing as i don't live in australia, this tidbit was more interesting to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edi View Post
Also reported on FT86club blog.

"Toyota says it is even considering a convertible version of the FT-86 and a higher-power version."
i don't care for a convertible, but higher-power version! this could possibly mean a boosted version. by higher-power i wonder just how high do they mean? i'd be happy with N/A 180-200 hp but i'm sure a boosted version would make a lot of power heads really happy!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM   #27
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

Quote:
exactly. why would they develop a rwd version now and awd later? this is speculation, but if there were any future plans to build an AWD version i think this guy would know about it, seeing as he already knows that toyota is considering a convertible and high powered version in the future. it just sounds like he's closing the door pretty hard on bringing the subie version to australia, and his reasoning is that there is no AWD version. so he probably has an idea that there's not gonna be an AWD version in the future.
They could plan on AWD later on. Sounds pretty logical to me if they are working on the RWD at the moment. There aren't details on the subaru version but it just sounds like that AWD is the only thing that is sold by Subaru in Australia.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:52 PM   #28
86Fan
2 yrs and counting...

It could also mean that Subaru doesn't care enough about the Australian market to make the coupe an awd. Although, a lot of Subaru's are sold in Australia since it's the third biggest market.