follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2019, 04:21 PM   #57
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
This has been a very good read. Thank you @solidsnake11 for your excellent research and information. I'd love to see the community come together and put out some parts for those of us who don't have the fabrication skills to replicate this, but are also concerned with oiling under race conditions. Oil pressure issues on this platform are probably my main concern right now, and I'm mostly prepping by figuring out my engine swap plans, but I'd just as soon resolve them so I can keep the FA20 as the heart of the beast.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 01:47 PM   #58
Rabrooks

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake11 View Post
Buy wrx front cover take pump out throw cover away copy Rev maxes spacer and install in your fa20 front cover. Bigger and no more recirculation happen in the pump.

Sa
So, can you not just buy the pump from Subaru. and is that mod with spacer better than the aftermarket unit.

By any chance do you have a oil flow schematic

Thanks
Roger
Rabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 02:53 PM   #59
Rabrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by remhex View Post
On the topic of oil stuff, I just tried a mod to my sandwich plate that helped out. I had a pressure drop after my oil cooler install. The manufacturer assured me the loss was normal and they have way more experience than me. Anyways, I drilled a hole through the sandwich plate. I started small and kept increasing the size of the hole until my redline oil pressure was close to where it was prior to the oil cooler install. I don't know a thing about thermodynamical stuff but the idea was that at all rpm's, some oil could bypass the cooler to increase flow but not enough to reduce cooling significantly. Max temps are 10° hotter but I gained 8psi even with the slightly higher temperatures. I started with a 3/16 hole and ended up with 5/16. Oil lines are an10.
Can you post a pic of the hole location.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:24 PM   #60
Rabrooks

Quote:

This is the plate I machined to stop the flexing. Factory is 6mm with 3mm galleys cast. This one is 10mm with 5mm galleys 7075 t6.
And I believe that may be the first down stream restriction. Have you noticed and differences in other locations using this plate. Are you going to manufacture this plate for retail. I want one. And now cause my engine is apart.
Thanks
Roger
Old 10-27-2019, 03:28 PM   #61
Rabrooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Do you think it would be a good idea to slightly extend the length of the oil pickup tube and bell the bottom a bit in addition to moving the screen to the bottom? I notice on track that with moderate to high G cornering if the oil level is not at least at the full mark when hot it will starve for oil.
I think so. Bell and reduce with soft corners to improve flow and and stop surface separation
Old 11-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #62
Rabrooks

Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135294
More oil mods. Focus on the 3rd main bearing.
I have read this thread and the other links. Can you show me pics of the crank mods. I never saw a pic of an FA20 crank to fully understand how to help it oil the 2 and 3 rod bearings.

And don't forget, I'll take one of those oil galley covers you made. PLEASE. Or send me the cnc file and I'll get it cut locally. PLEASE
Thanks
Roger
Old 11-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #63
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Can anyone chime in on a swinging oil pick up like used in this FA20DIT?
Apparently this, an accusump and a baffled pan was enough to run competitively in BTCC. Is there an assumption that the FA20DIT blocks solved the inherent oiling issues in the FA20?

https://www.hpacademy.com/technical-articles/what-do-you-do-when-youre-not-allowed-a-dry-sump-tech-byte/

"To give the best chance of being able to provide a high pressure supply of oil, a clever moving pickup is used. This swings inside the sump in response to the lateral and longitudinal g forces the car is being subjected to, meaning that it essentially follows the oil around the sump."
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #64
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Voah. Such moving pickup seems very innovative idea imho.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:23 PM   #65
Rabrooks

thought I'd mention my 2 cents worth.

I performed most of the oiling improvements that have been mentioned here. I opened up all the factory hard corners and tried to improve flow and reduce restrictions in all the galleys that needed to be addressed. I ordered 16 new rocker pivots as used in the 2014 and newer. That's the ones with the smaller oiling holes. On the 2013, one head had pivots with one size holes and the other head had larger holes. Both styles had holes larger than the 2014 model pivots. This will reduce oil flooding the heads and get more oil to the mains and rods. The pivot change should increase oil pressure by at least a small margin. I think the clearing of the restrictions and smoothing the flow will add some extra pressure at the mains as well. I added the extra fasteners in the pump cover and the plate going from the pump to the oil filter. Plus I got a galley plate like Solidsnake11 made. I'm gonna get a Killer B oil pick up, remove the screen and get an oil pickup bell and screen from a traditional 70's style oil pump. My car had 123k miles on it when it died. It does show signs of the cavitation but it is much less severe than that of the pictures in this thread. Actually its barely visible.

I'll definitely add an oil cooler. I haven't decided if it'll be a sandwich plate or if I'll do some other hybrid deal. Whatever it is, it wont be anything that allows the engine coolant to absorb the heat from the oil. If I go the sandwich plate direction, I'll drill the hole in it like was mentioned earlier in the thread to keep the oil cooler from robbing pressure due to the flow loss due to surface friction in the cooler and lines.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. If anyone has any good oiling improvements other than what is in this thread, I'd say list them. At least there's an audience here to kick them around.

Last edited by Rabrooks; 11-22-2019 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2019, 01:08 PM   #66
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Oil system mods for more pressure and flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrooks View Post
thought I'd mention my 2 cents worth.

I performed most of the oiling improvements that have been mentioned here. I opened up all the factory hard corners and tried to improve flow and reduce restrictions in all the galleys that needed to be addressed. I ordered 16 new rocker pivots as used in the 2014 and newer. That's the ones with the smaller oiling holes. On the 2013, one head had pivots with one size holes and the other head had larger holes. Both styles had holes larger than the 2014 model pivots. This will reduce oil flooding the heads and get more oil to the mains and rods. The pivot change should increase oil pressure by at least a small margin. I think the clearing of the restrictions and smoothing the flow will add some extra pressure at the mains as well. I added the extra fasteners in the pump cover and the plate going from the pump to the oil filter. Plus I got a galley plate like Solidsnake11 made. I'm gonna get a Killer B oil pick up, remove the screen and get an oil pickup bell and screen from a traditional 70's style oil pump. My car had 123k miles on it when it died. It does show signs of the cavitation but it is much less severe than that of the pictures in this thread. Actually its barely visible.

I'll definitely add an oil cooler. I haven't decided if it'll be a sandwich plate or if I'll do some other hybrid deal. Whatever it is, it wont be anything that allows the engine coolant to absorb the heat from the oil. If I go the sandwich plate direction, I'll drill the hole in it like was mentioned earlier in the thread to keep the oil cooler from robbing pressure due to the flow loss due to surface friction in the cooler and lines.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. If anyone has any good oiling improvements other than what is in this thread, I'd say list them. At least there's an audience here to kick them around.

Did you use the same rocker pivot in both heads?

What I saw in the parts diagrams it looks like the 2014 and up is superseded to 13296AA100 for both heads.

2013 has the right head as 13296AA100 and the left head as using 13296AA070.

I was going to order enough to do both heads in AA100, and enough AA070 to do the left head and measure them. They are only 10 bucks each so not a big deal if I have to toss them.

Old 11-25-2019, 01:25 PM   #67
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Never mind, reading comprehension fail on my part
NoHaveMSG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:25 PM   #68
Ricks919

Drives: 2014 BRZ brand new!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Here is a Nissan pump in the front cover. If only I had a 3mm spacer. This 15mm pump should be 25% more flow it has the same number of chambers.
I would really like to know what Nissan this pump gear came out of, and if the factory BRZ crank boss fits inside.... I have resources available to me to make a 3mm spacer & machine the oil ports that go to the block

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Ricks919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:56 PM   #69
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Just something that I have been thinking about. I was looking at upgrading the rocker pivots to the newer part number on my 13' motor due to the new part having restricted oil flow at the tip. Then I got to thinking about modding the oil feed for the heads in the front cover like @solidsnake11 did.

For long sustained high RPM would restricting the flow at the cover potentially cause poor flow at the rocker pivot itself during high sustained RPMs ?

I guess the best mental picture I could think of for my reasoning is kinking a water hose in the middle vs. putting your thumb over the end.
Old 12-07-2019, 09:20 PM   #70
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
The restrictor I used is the same size as the opposite head, but it does oil the high pressure fuel pump. It hasn't been a problem for mine But I have higher oil pressure than stock.
I turn 8000rpm for short burst. If you plan on sustain high rpm heat will be the killer.
I got all the 14+ valvetrain stuff used off ebay. I bought BC springs and TI retainers. Even the valves I pulled out of used heads.
I didn't think it would be for short bursts. I was just thinking about long runs in the heat of the day. One of my local tracks has a front straight that is 1/2 mile long. It may not matter at all, was just thinking about it.

I have been hunting for newer heads but have had no luck.