follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #1
JDMPR725

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (10-Series)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gas Pedal to Throttle Input Delay

A few days ago I was testing out the new 2017 Toyota 86 w/ manual transmission and I noticed that there was a bit of a delay in response for the throttle to open. Even in manual it felt like the car was out of tune. I know that older cars don't have this issue because the gas pedal and the throttle is connected via a large metal wire. Since my 98 Acura Integra has this, I cant drive a car without good input response. I also know that there are certain tune up mods or buying performance ECU's to get rid of this but I'd like to know if there is simply a bypass or a simpler way to get less input lag. I would like to get the new Toyota 86 and solving this issue would be awesome.
JDMPR725 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JDMPR725 For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-03-2018)
Old 10-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #2
BRX

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMPR725 View Post
A few days ago I was testing out the new 2017 Toyota 86 w/ manual transmission and I noticed that there was a bit of a delay in response for the throttle to open. Even in manual it felt like the car was out of tune. I know that older cars don't have this issue because the gas pedal and the throttle is connected via a large metal wire. Since my 98 Acura Integra has this, I cant drive a car without good input response. I also know that there are certain tune up mods or buying performance ECU's to get rid of this but I'd like to know if there is simply a bypass or a simpler way to get less input lag. I would like to get the new Toyota 86 and solving this issue would be awesome.
Being a new car, the throttle hasn't fully yet adapted. This usually happens when flashing a new tune and resetting the ECU. What I usually do is put the Key to ON without starting the engine and press and release the gas pedal +20 times. That's zero to 100% full throttle to zero 20 times. This makes it learn faster rather than driving like a maniac for a few days.

If it is still not as responsive as you like you can either get a $300 Sprint booster making the pedal much more sensitive (which is all that it does, it does not add any power or modify the ECU maps) or try to convince a tuner to remap your throttle pedal input which most won't do from my experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
BRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRX For This Useful Post:
jcw99 (08-03-2018)