follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Last Lemming Alive

Drives: WRB 2017 BRZ Limited w/ PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Could it be that you're not yet used to the increase in sound at part throttle?

In other words, it's now much louder under load without any corresponding increase in speed, tricking you into thinking the car has gotten slower.

The reason I say this is I've got the 2.5" Perrin and didn't notice any loss in low-end torque, but it is definitely much louder under load.
Let me explain what's exactly happening: I start to accelerate normally, the engine gets to 2000 rpm and then it's like the fuel cuts for an instant, the engine falls flat on its face and then it picks back up and gets going. I've tried modulating the throttle to no avail. It's like the fuel map isn't keeping up. That is just what it feels like. You could also say it feels like a bog of the engine at 2000 rpm.

The only way I am able to overcome it is to launch off the line and make sure the rpm don't fall to 2k. Btw, the car has 2400 miles on it.

Last edited by Last Lemming Alive; 07-07-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Last Lemming Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #30
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Lemming Alive View Post
Let me explain what's exactly happening: I start to accelerate normally, the engine gets to 2000 rpm and then it's like the fuel cuts for an instant, the engine falls flat on its face and then it picks back up and gets going. I've tried modulating the throttle to no avail. It's like the fuel map isn't keeping up. That is just what it feels like. You could also say it feels like a bog of the engine at 2000 rpm.

The only way I am able to overcome it is to launch off the line and make sure the rpm don't fall to 2k. Btw, the car has 2400 miles on it.
Interesting. Almost sounds like you are hitting the torque dip extremley early. Torque dip suually shows up at like 3500 RPM. However the new 17 MY torque dip while smaller, is also drastically deeper. I didnt really notice the torque dip on my 16 but when i test drove a 17 it was super obvious
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:56 PM   #31
modbus

Drives: '14 BRZ | '95 Range Rover
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I have the Perrin 2.5" resonated. I went to it after about 5k miles on the car. I put the stock back on for a while and it "felt" faster than I remember.

I'm going to guess that my perception of "loud = fast" was leading me to believe the car was faster when the stock catback is attached vs. when I had my catback.

The mind is a powerful thing... and can lead you to the wrong conclusions if real instruments to measure are not used.
modbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:47 AM   #32
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

There's simply no way a cat-back alone is doing that unless you've got something totally blocking it like a piece of plastic or packaging.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
kch (07-10-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 06:21 AM   #33
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I wouldn't believe a lot their dyno graphs. Most legal catbacks cannot increase power. If you had any gains, the noise would be so much that it would not pass any regulations. Your only chance to get any gains is if you install a competition exhaust.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:49 AM   #34
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
I wouldn't believe a lot their dyno graphs. Most legal catbacks cannot increase power. If you had any gains, the noise would be so much that it would not pass any regulations. Your only chance to get any gains is if you install a competition exhaust.
That's simply not true. See the thread on the ACE Laguna Seca exhaust.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:34 AM   #35
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
That exhaust doesnt gain you power, it just doesnt take power (or little) and reduces sound.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:38 AM   #36
wparsons

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
That exhaust doesnt gain you power, it just doesnt take power (or little) and reduces sound.
Compared to what? It makes more power than stock and isn't as loud as other exhausts with comparable gains.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #37
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I reinstalled the OEM exhaust tonite, and even without unplugging it the torque was back. It feels like 7-10 ft lbs was gained.
Perhaps this is your answer and your solution.
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #38
Lynxis

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:

Based on this, I'd be concerned about an exhaust leak with the Perrin.
Lynxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #39
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Instead of guessing why not contact Perrin....just my two cents

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #40
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
That's what it says here: http://counterspacegarage.com/ace-cs...na90-gt86.html

"CSG commissioned a project with ACE to provide a Laguna Seca legal exhaust that emits an output of under 90dB without considerable loss of power or response. "

Anyway, I would never install a Taiwanese exhaust in my car. Personal preference. Sorry.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #41
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post

Yep, my take is that if you do enough dyno pulls, on enough dyno machines, you can generate enough graphs to show almost anything ........ just pick one ......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
nikitopo (07-11-2017)
Old 07-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #42
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Compared to what? It makes more power than stock and isn't as loud as other exhausts with comparable gains.
Why dont you ask them that? Where do you see it makes more power than stock and has comparable gains? Comparable to what?

See, two can play this game. The ACE Laguna 90 is an exhaust for really low sound output, nothing more, nothing less.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote