follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 10-26-2018, 11:43 PM   #57
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
What’s up with the oil fittings?

Cut, grind...and maybe dimple the header...or get what Spitsbaugle said. I’m running the Cts-v compressor, lines are on the side

You’ll figure this one out man. Power through!
I'm gonna look at custom headers, compare total cost of each.

Oil lines coming out of the block. There aren't any adapters that will fit. Yet. I'm working on a deal with a local guy. Start up aftermarket shop. My car will be used for testing parts and I get free shit. He's handling the oil adapter and AC fittings hopefully we will be seeing parts soon.

UPDATE: oil fittings are a bust. Nothing fits with the steering rack. Use a GTO oil pan

Last edited by Ashikabi; 08-05-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 10:35 PM   #58
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
You can't use 90 degree wires to sneak in there? I just saw the dirty dingo kit. Gonna check on cost of custom headers before I pull the trigger though. Money is starting to get tight, can't waste any more. I'm well beyond my generous estimate and re-estimate. Still have to get cooling fans and exhaust
yes. you'll need to get 90 degree plug wires and run under the headers around to the front, MSD PART# 32079 and cut them to length. Take note most universal plug wire kits dont contain the correct coil wire terminal for LS packs, that kit, and #32073, does. BUT you still need to cut that support out.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitsnaugle For This Useful Post:
Ashikabi (10-27-2018)
Old 10-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #59
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by spitsnaugle View Post
yes. you'll need to get 90 degree plug wires and run under the headers around to the front, MSD PART# 32079 and cut them to length. Take note most universal plug wire kits dont contain the correct coil wire terminal for LS packs, that kit, and #32073, does. BUT you still need to cut that support out.
That's shitty. I really didn't want to have to expose any more of those wires than I had to. Very unsightly

UPDATE: I got ceramic coated 45 degree spark plug wires. If you turn the part on the coil pack, you can keep the plug boot angled clear of the headers

Last edited by Ashikabi; 08-05-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:29 PM   #60
spitsnaugle

Quote:
That's shitty. I really didn't want to have to expose any more of those wires than I had to. Very unsightly
Alternatively I believe JBA GTO shorty headers fit.
Old 10-28-2018, 01:37 PM   #61
Ashikabi

Quote:
Alternatively I believe JBA GTO shorty headers fit.
I'll look into them and custom. See what makes sense. Thanks for the suggestions
Old 11-01-2018, 06:12 PM   #62
Ashikabi

Still stalled on oil fitting. Working on finishing up wiring and trying to get some hoses made.

I just discovered, and I was certain it couldn't work... The stock strut tower braces WILL FIT with the LS motor. I ripped the mount off the fire wall before painting because I was certain it couldn't work. Now I'm fucked. Now you guys who haven't done it yet will know ahead of time.
If anyone has any ideas how to remedy this, I'm all ears. Seems like making a new brace or bracket that replaces the stock bracket is probably best. Maybe use rivnuts to anchor to the fire wall?
Old 11-01-2018, 06:15 PM   #63
Ashikabi

For wiring, with the Element modified harness, I have extra wiring for 4 sensors+ a few stumps by the main connector. The oil pressure sensor is not used (yet), Phil says he's working on it.
Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 PM   #64
spitsnaugle

Quote:
Still stalled on oil fitting. Working on finishing up wiring and trying to get some hoses made.

I just discovered, and I was certain it couldn't work... The stock strut tower braces WILL FIT with the LS motor. I ripped the mount off the fire wall before painting because I was certain it couldn't work. Now I'm fucked. Now you guys who haven't done it yet will know ahead of time.
If anyone has any ideas how to remedy this, I'm all ears. Seems like making a new brace or bracket that replaces the stock bracket is probably best. Maybe use rivnuts to anchor to the fire wall?
I wouldnt feel to bad about it--that triangulated bracing was only held in by three spot welds to the center of the car, not super strong to start with.
Old 11-04-2018, 03:14 PM   #65
Ashikabi

Cusco strut tower bar. Mounted my Ring Brothers remote reservoir to it for my clutch.

I'm trying ILLSMOQ's approach for the expansion tank too. Seems sturdy enough. If it's too tall I can use jam nuts to mount it on the battery hook, but below the battery bar. I have the ugly battery and stock bar in for the winter. Then we will see if my Braille can turn over the V8 or not. The expansion tank might need moved or get a new bracket after that. We will see how it sits. A note on the expansion tank... This Radium tank is pretty fancy. Fancier and more expensive than I needed. With how it's being plumbed I could have used a different tank at half the cost.

UPDATE: Braille battery would never have worked. Don't even bother

Last edited by Ashikabi; 08-05-2019 at 09:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
ILLSMOQ (11-04-2018)
Old 11-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #66
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
I used jamb nuts to get mine where it sits now...and while it’s not ideal it’s definitely sturdy enough.

Looking good!
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #67
Ashikabi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSMOQ View Post
I used jamb nuts to get mine where it sits now...and while it’s not ideal it’s definitely sturdy enough.

Looking good!
Well the weather is supposed to turn bad this weekend and we are working overtime at work so there probably won't be much progress in the next 3 months. I REALLY wanted it driving this year but... It's a little late for that.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:13 PM   #68
spitsnaugle

Quote:
I have the ugly battery and stock bar in for the winter. Then we will see if my Braille can turn over the V8 or not.
I did some quick searching and found Braille batteries are made by East-Penn, bought a Deka ET20XL which is the same as the Braille B2015, works perfect. Though after my car sat for two and half weeks it wouldnt start it, but any time I drive it at least once a week it does fine. I may have something leeching power.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:27 PM   #69
ILLSMOQ

Drives: 2017 WR BLUE BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Well the weather is supposed to turn bad this weekend and we are working overtime at work so there probably won't be much progress in the next 3 months. I REALLY wanted it driving this year but... It's a little late for that.
Happens man, mine was about a year later than planned
ILLSMOQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:42 PM   #70
Ashikabi

Quote:
I did some quick searching and found Braille batteries are made by East-Penn, bought a Deka ET20XL which is the same as the Braille B2015, works perfect. Though after my car sat for two and half weeks it wouldnt start it, but any time I drive it at least once a week it does fine. I may have something leeching power.
I have the one sold by ft86speedfactory. It's similar in power to the stock battery but doesn't have the amp hours. I have a couple of accessories constantly drawing power so it may not cut it for me. If it doesn't I'll consider moving the battery to the trunk for weight distribution