follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
AyJay

Drives: 22 GR86, 13 FR-S, AP2 S2000
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Contacted "Scion Customer Experience" regarding DI Seal Issue

Just thought I'd share...

My original email via the "Scion Customer Experience" website:

As an owner, I'm highly disappointed in my 2013 Scion FR-S right now. The increasing number of reports of Direct Injection (DI) seal failures among track (HPDE) enthusiasts, and Scion/Toyota/Subaru's lack of a solution (or even acknowledgement), has me deeply troubled. I am an HPDE enthusiast myself and thought that the FR-S would be the perfect daily driver and occasional HPDE participant to supplement my track ready, reliable as the sun Honda S2000. As it stands right now, my FR-S recieves no track time at all since I don't want to suffer the same DI seal problems that a large number of HPDE going owners are reporting. Unfortunately, my FR-S has been turned into the worlds most impractical Yaris without the good MPGs and the lower price point. Highly disappointing. I understand that Scion has been good about warranty coverage for this issue but for a great many of us that only represents a bandaid to what looks to be a design flaw in the engine.
I wanted very much to love this car like I love my S2000 but, unfortunately, I really regret buying into this car.

Last edited by AyJay; 11-15-2013 at 01:46 PM.
AyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AyJay For This Useful Post:
sosick (01-08-2014)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #2
AyJay

Scion's Response:

Quote:
Hello Adam,

Thank you for contacting Scion.

We apologize that you are not satisfied your 2013 FR-S.

We appreciate your feedback about the FR-S as it is through communications such as yours that we become aware of our customers' expectations and reactions.

If you are having concerns with your FR-S, we would recommend contacting your local Scion dealer. For contact information to your local dealer, please click on the link below:

http://www.scion.com/find_dealer.html#

Brett K.
Scion Customer Experience
^ Response is typical corporate BS.

Effectively translated:

Quote:
Thank you for contacting us.

We are sorry (not really) you aren't satisfied. To pacify you, we'll tell you our communication may or may not make a damn bit of difference. We won't actually make any effort whatsoever to address the concerns you spoke of.

If you would like to continue this discussion please contact someone else who we know couldn't care less (dealership) so they can give you the run around.

Thanks,
Brett K.

Last edited by AyJay; 11-15-2013 at 01:41 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AyJay For This Useful Post:
clayrush (11-16-2013), ftc~brz (01-08-2014), Lonewolf (11-15-2013), NickFRS (11-15-2013), sosick (01-08-2014), TeamZleep (11-17-2013), Wolfking (11-19-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Gotta love the canned response.

At the end of the day, they only care about making money.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
B L U E S L A T E (11-15-2013), danthedirt (11-22-2013), sosick (01-08-2014)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
kALMIGHTY
Banned

Drives: TRD Ultramarine '13
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
As an owner, I'm highly disappointed in my 2013 Scion FR-S right now. The increasing number of reports of Direct Injection (DI) seal failures among track (HPDE) enthusiasts, and Scion/Toyota/Subaru's lack of a solution (or even acknowledgement), has me deeply troubled. I am an HPDE enthusiast myself and thought that the FR-S would be the perfect daily driver and occasional HPDE participant to supplement my track ready, reliable as the sun Honda S2000. As it stands right now, my FR-S recieves no track time at all since I don't want to suffer the same DI seal problems that a large number of HPDE going owners are reporting. Unfortunately, my FR-S has been turned into the worlds most impractical Yaris without the good MPGs and the lower price point. Highly disappointing.
I understand that Scion has been good about warranty coverage for this issue but for a great many of us that only represents a bandaid to what looks to be a design flaw in the engine.
I wanted very much to love this car like I love my S2000 but, unfortunately, I really regret buying into this car.
[FONT=Times New Roman]
Not hating on you or anything, but it kind of sounds like you have highly unreal expectations from the car, especially the first year of a brand new car with a brand new engine. You should have realized that we technically are "beta testers" for what's probably going to be an amazing platform down the road.
Just because a "large" number of HPDE twins have DI issues, doesn't mean yours will.
You can choose to drive yours like a Prius if you really want to, but ultimately that's your decision and not Scion's fault. You yourself stated that Scion has been good about warranty coverage for this issue, so what exactly are you worried about? If it breaks, they'll fix it. If it doesn't break, then great.
You're complaining about something that hasn't even affected your car yet, so I'm not surprised the Scion replied with a very generic response to your complaint.
Go out and enjoy the car like you wanted to when you first bought the car. Deal with problems when you get to them, instead of whining about and being afraid of the POSSIBILITY of things going wrong in the future.
There's a possibility of everything going wrong in the world all at once, but we don't have to live in fear of it. Enjoy your car for what it is now, not for what it might be in the future.
kALMIGHTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to kALMIGHTY For This Useful Post:
Braces (11-18-2013), FastLane1000 (11-17-2013), humfrz (11-15-2013), imanedrn (01-09-2014), Jstunna (11-15-2013), kuhlka (11-20-2013), PoorMansRacing (01-07-2014), suaveflooder (11-17-2013), TeamZleep (11-17-2013), vanetix (11-19-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Drives: Canada
Location: I rock a beat harder than you can beat it with rocks
Thanked 2,506 Times in 1,268 Posts
Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
question...

the dealership where i bought my car is owned and operated by an auto enthusiast, he has many cars in his garage and actually takes his FRS quite reguarly to the track.

if i was to write him a request/proposal/plea to look into this matter, what sort of language should i use and what points exactly should i tell him about?
TeamZleep (11-17-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
AyJay

Quote:
Originally Posted by kALMIGHTY View Post
You should have realized that we technically are "beta testers" for what's probably going to be an amazing platform down the road.
Just because a "large" number of HPDE twins have DI issues, doesn't mean yours will.
You can choose to drive yours like a Prius if you really want to, but ultimately that's your decision and not Scion's fault. You yourself stated that Scion has been good about warranty coverage for this issue, so what exactly are you worried about? If it breaks, they'll fix it. If it doesn't break, then great.
You're complaining about something that hasn't even affected your car yet, so I'm not surprised the Scion replied with a very generic response to your complaint.
Go out and enjoy the car like you wanted to when you first bought the car. Deal with problems when you get to them, instead of whining about and being afraid of the POSSIBILITY of things going wrong in the future.
There's a possibility of everything going wrong in the world all at once, but we don't have to live in fear of it. Enjoy your car for what it is now, not for what it might be in the future.
It's sad when we have to make excuses for manufacturers to justify our purchase decisions. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester. If you are ok with paying full price to be a beta tester then it's truly a sad state we live in as consumers. Clearly corporate brainwashing works in the market place.

I'm complaining about a design flaw that has affected enough people for the track community to take notice. The fact that they are warrantying the work is great for 3yrs/36k but after that the design flaw is all yours. It's comical to me that you are ok with that ... but to each their own.

It's tough for me to "go out and enjoy" when I'm not sure if the next expensive track day will be cut short by this design flaw and I'll have to start doing tedious maintenance work because of it (after 36k).
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AyJay For This Useful Post:
Carwhisperer (11-19-2013), Porsche (11-15-2013), Prog (11-15-2013), sosick (01-08-2014), Superhatch (11-16-2013), vgi (11-15-2013), xia (11-15-2013), zoomzoomers (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Not hating on you or anything, but it kind of sounds like you have highly unreal expectations from the car, especially the first year of a brand new car with a brand new engine. You should have realized that we technically are "beta testers" for what's probably going to be an amazing platform down the road.
haha what?

Beta testing is what happens before you release a product.. thats why they call it BETA TESTING. They arn't building a spaceship here. Our expectations as consumers is to receive a fully operation product.

Do i get to complain that the sun-visors are made from cardboard? No. This was part of the deal.

Do i get to complain about general road noise? No. This was part of the deal.

But when you have an engine that could self-destruct when you operate it under normal conditions, then every single one of us has a right to complain. Period.

I don't want to gamble every time i go to the track.. will this be the day what i wont be gentle with my throttle? I don't want to think about that.

Scion needs to openly acknolwedge it and do whatever fix is necessary.
clayrush (11-16-2013), fistpoint (11-15-2013), xia (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #8
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyJay View Post
It's sad when we have to make excuses for manufacturers to justify our purchase decisions. I didn't sign up to be a beta tester.
Heh. Well... we're all beta testers, aren't we?

I knew I was a beta tester in this brand new design.

But, I am with you all the way, here.

I expected likely inconvenience.

I also expected that as we beta testers uncovered flaws, those flaws would be addressed and corrected.

Currently, I am observing a "redline" of 6000 rpm in 2nd-6th gears. And I still don't know if this will protect me from DI seal failure and subsequent engine catastrophe.

This reminds me of the stonewalling the Porsche company did about the IMS failures in their engines. Porsche recently faced a class-action lawsuit. The judge ruled against Porsche.

So far, Subaru/Toyota appear to be following in Porsche's footsteps.

I did not expect a responsible and reliable manufacturer to stonewall us, failing to provide a suitable solution.

I, too, am disappointed.
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porsche For This Useful Post:
Marchy (11-15-2013)
Old 11-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Porsche

Drives: 2013 BRZ Ltd. MT
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
it kind of sounds like you have highly unreal expectations from the car

Not the car ... the MANUFACTURER!
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #10
7thgear
i'm sorry, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche View Post
Currently, I am observing a "redline" of 6000 rpm in 2nd-6th gears. And I still don't know if this will protect me from DI seal failure and subsequent engine catastrophe.
then you should redline your car at 5200...

the problem as i understand it is rapid throttle on/off above 5200 rpm.. but how rapid.. and if it's 100% all the time... the other thread is cryptic enough, i wish someone made a sticky

(i myself haven't noticed it, i have an early production but i mostly do autocross and my shifts are generally clean and throttle modulation is gentle)
Old 11-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
fistpoint

Drives: Supercharged Golf Cart
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear View Post
haha what?

Beta testing is what happens before you release a product.. thats why they call it BETA TESTING. They arn't building a spaceship here. Our expectations as consumers is to receive a fully operation product.

Do i get to complain that the sun-visors are made from cardboard? No. This was part of the deal.

Do i get to complain about general road noise? No. This was part of the deal.

But when you have an engine that could self-destruct when you operate it under normal conditions, then every single one of us has a right to complain. Period.

I don't want to gamble every time i go to the track.. will this be the day what i wont be gentle with my throttle? I don't want to think about that.

Scion needs to openly acknolwedge it and do whatever fix is necessary.

Relax man, you're living in an age where the average teenager is impressed with a cellphone, Bluray player or TV that lasts a whole 3 years!
fistpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:18 PM   #12
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
What were you expecting their response to be?
Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #13
shellslinger

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I thought this problem with the DI seals were solved with new tune (ZA1JA01G)
shellslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Unfortunately, only a small percentage of owners will take their cars to the track and put it through that kind of abuse. I don't really see any incentives for them to "fix" this issue since this doesn't affect 99% of the owners.

Personally, I'm pretty close to selling the BRZ and buying a cheap ITR as my weekend toy. The only thing holding me back is losing 8-10k in the first year of ownership.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
AyJay (11-15-2013), hmong337 (11-16-2013)